Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Does anyone still make a GOOD vacuum cleaner

My old vacuum died a couple years ago, it was an elcheapo brand, sorry i forget what brand it was.
It was nothing fancy, or expensive, and yet it served me well for about 4 years or so.
I tossed it out, and decided to buy a good vacuum to replace it.
I kept hearing the Dyson ads, and about how well they are made, so decided to buy one.
With taxes in, it was almost $700, but I figured hey, no big deal it will last me 25 years, and work great.
I was so wrong, not just wrong, really wrong.
It started being a problem when nearly new.
In the first year it was sent back to Dyson 6 times, and it would leave me without a vacuum each time, but only work a few days, to few weeks after its return, and have more issues.
Its now off warranty, and ready for the garbage can at a whole 2 years old.
I have had to fix it about 10 times myself, as best as I could since the warranty ran out.

I want to buy a good vacuum cleaner.
Something that will clean well, and last me many years.
Price is not a factor if its good.
Please recommend some brand if you know of one, thanks.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM  
Traveler

Well, I have a 1949 Kirby and that thing is so well make and you can still get parts for them and are totally servicable. Best part is that you can pick them up for under $50. Not the latest techno, but man they sure look cool and work so well......

Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

My Dyson ball has been the best vacuum I have ever owned. I've had it for a little over a year now with no problems at all.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 AM  
Homebrewer

Lindstrom, MN
I love my Dyson. I didn't buy the $700 one though, I think it was $300. If you had that many problems with it you should contact them. Even though it's out of warranty, they should take care of you. Don't give up! $700 should buy you a vacuum that lasts a lot longer than two years. If they don't respond use tools like Twitter. Like them on Facebook and comment about your issues.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Thanks everyone, glad some of you have had good luck with your dyson vacs.
That kirby looks great, how does one find old vacuums to buy, that still work.

I put my dyson in a closet, and am using the shop vac in the house right now, at least it works.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM  

Spokane, WA
I bought a new Kirby about a year ago, and I love it! It really does work better than anything else I've ever used. You can buy lots of replacement parts, plus it came with a bunch of different tools. Everything from the basic hose, to an attachment to clean out your computer with. You can also plug the hose into the exhaust to use it to blow air instead of suck it in. Ours also came with a carpet shampooer which has been so nice to have!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Well, I have a 1949 Kirby and that thing is so well make and you can still get parts for them and are totally servicable. Best part is that you can pick them up for under $50. Not the latest techno, but man they sure look cool and work so well......
My folks had one of those growing up, or at least alot like that. I would love to have one but I don't think my wife would go for it.... I don't think she is very confident with "old" stuff. Oh, and it looks a little on the heavier side and we have an upstairs....

My mom has had one of those "rainbow" vacuum cleaners for probably 10 years(?) and she loves it. I don't know about the whole water thing though...
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 AM  

I'm too cheap to spend ~ $1000 on a good vacuum, and currently use a $59 Eureka Maxima found at most "big box" hardware stores. They last a few years, no bags to purchase, and parts are easy to find. If it breaks, I toss it and pick up another.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu
I'm too cheap to spend ~ $1000 on a good vacuum, and currently use a $59 Eureka Maxima found at most "big box" hardware stores. They last a few years, no bags to purchase, and parts are easy to find. If it breaks, I toss it and pick up another.
I am of the same mind as you, the vacuum I am currently using has been working fine for the last three years. I only pain like 45.00 dollars for it. Any vacuum will loose some of it's sucking power over time. What I found was that if it is cleaned out and the filters cleaned often they last a lot longer.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM  

A friend of mine just got suckered into purchasing a Kirby from a door to door salesman last month. Don't get me wrong, they are great, but too expensive with many attachments that are never used. He knocked at the door and told my friend he had one new Kirby left, and as a result, would discount it 50%. Regular price was $2200, but he could have his last one for $1100. He took it hook, line and sinker! Of course when he asked if he got all the attachments, he said he would throw them in for 50% of the regular price. Only $250 instead of $500! So $1350 later, he has a nice, shiny vacuum!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!