Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 AM  

Horse Owners Unite!

Welcome to this new thread. Although I love horses and have had a few, I no longer have any because I realized that unless you live on horse property, the costs are outrageous for boarding and feeding.

My favorite horse was "Cooler", who was an old hunter/jumper that I gave a great life to. He had the corner stall with a view, and was tucked in every night with his pajamas to keep the cold drafts off of him, and got a regiment of "606" and timothy hay daily.

We would take a half day ride into the mountains every week, and we always trusted each other's judgements. I'm sure other horse owners know what I am talking about regarding the mutual trust.

The worst thing I ever did was to sell him to an idiot who threw him in his backyard with no care at all. He colic'ed within a week and the new owner was too cheap to get a vet out immediately and died a day later.

Tell us your horse stories!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
I am no horse lover. But I hope you went over there and kick the everloving SH!T out of that person.

I had an uncle in Bly Oregon that raised Paints. His son with to the NFR 3 times for bareback and saddle bronc his daughter went twice for barrel racing.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM  

When he called me asking for advice, I told him this was a sign of colic and to call the vet immediately. I even told him I would send my vet there, but he poo-poo'ed the idea saying it wasn't that bad. When I called the next AM, he said he went out to find my friend dead, and his kids got to see as well. He has to live with that view forever. Did I mention that guy is an idiot?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Growing up we took care of one for a friend of my Dad's. Her name was Bee. Couldn't ride her or anything, just had to take care of her. All the work, non of the fun.

My siblings can both ride, and my brother is good with the lasso... and I feel like a redneck again.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 AM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
We had 2 horse when i was growing up and my cousin raises several and rides them, does cowboy mounted shooting, stuff like that. My boss's wife has several miniature horses, and his brother in law has and works a few draft horses and a couple mules.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 AM  

Those mini horses are pretty darn cute but they have all the costs associated with their big brothers. I would need to tie about 10 of them together in order to go for a ride!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:19 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
So, I've been curious. My wife and I are thinking of buying a house with some land out in Missouri when I get out of the Corps in 2013, and I've always wanted to have a horse.

What would you guys recommend for a beginner?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 PM  

I'd pick a good old warm blood or quarter horse. Arabs are flighty, and thoroughbreds, although beautiful, are usually worn out in the legs if they were used at the track.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Those mini horses are pretty darn cute but they have all the costs associated with their big brothers. I would need to tie about 10 of them together in order to go for a ride!
Growing up I raised a pygmy goat, miniature animals are fun.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM  

My wife's dream house would have mini-horses, pot belly pigs, and pygmy goats. Guess who would be assigned to muck the stalls?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!