Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
How to Catch a Deadly Runaway Cobra

How to Catch a Deadly Runaway Cobra - FoxNews.com

Quote:
The deadly baby cobra on the loose at New York's Bronx Zoo has everyone wondering -- how do you catch a 20-inch-long, pencil-thin snake that can squeeze into the tiniest crack or crevice?
Snake experts, known as herpetologists, tell FoxNews.com that finding the months-old female Egyptian cobra is no easy task.
"Snakes are escape artists," said Rulon Clark, a biology professor at San Diego [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue ! important]State [COLOR=blue ! important]University[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. "It's tough. Their bodies are compressible and can fit in extremely small openings."
The missing cobra, who weighs less than 3 ounces, disappeared from her enclosure Friday inside the zoo's Reptile House. Zoo officials say they are confident the snake is not in an area accessible to the public and have put in place a tracking system to monitor its movement, though zoo director Jim Breheny did not elaborate on the plan.
For one snake expert, the most effective strategy calls for water.

"I would try to set up a trap that had water in it because the snake would eventually go to it," said Laurie Vitt, a zoology professor at [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]the [COLOR=blue !important]University[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] of Oklahoma. "Snakes require water."

"If it isn't going to come to water, it?s probably going to die from dehydration within a week or two weeks," Vitt said, though he added that Egyptian cobras are native to arid climates and "can probably go a long time without it."
Other herpetologists, like Clark, propose setting up "funnel traps" in the holding area of the Reptile House where the venomous reptile is believed to be hiding.
Such traps call for a box attached to a funnel through which snakes can enter. The funnels are often placed along hard surfaces, like rocks or fences, and are ideal for catching smaller snakes. The slope of the funnel makes it difficult for snakes to get out.
"Snakes like to move along surfaces," said Clark, "I would set up a series of funnel traps along the walls and just hope that it comes out to explore and falls into one of them."
[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Snake [COLOR=blue !important]experts[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] say that in some instances "pit tags" or "transmitters" are used to track snake movements, but both Clark and Vitt said such devices are more likely to be used in the wild.
"Without some kind of tracking device implanted in the snake, I don?t know how you?d track it," said Clark.
Stan Mays, curator of herpetology at the Houston Zoo, said other methods for catching snakes include laying down florescent powders or warming up areas with heating pads.
The female cobra, who zoo officials say has no name, can grow up to 8-feet long and produces a venom that is deadly. Snake experts describe the poison as "neurotoxic" and say the venom can kill a human by causing complete respiratory failure.
Experts, however, say the snakes aren't likely to attack people unless the reptiles feel threatened and that the Bronx Zoo baby cobra poses a small risk, if any, to its handlers.
"It's not going to be a threat unless someone is really trying to mess with it," said Mays.
For now, officials say patience is key in catching the cobra.
"As her comfort level rises, she will begin to move around the building to seek food and water," Breheny said in a statement Monday.

The Elusive Bronx Zoo Cobra Emerges ? On Twitter

@BronxZoosCobra: The Elusive Bronx Zoo Cobra Emerges

Quote:
Free from its enclosure, @BronxZoosCobra is filing dispatches from around New York. Wait a minute. You'd think the lack of opposable thumbs would hinder its tweeting ability. The snake quickly stifles any doubts: ?Ever heard of an iPhone? Duh.?

Tagging its tweets as #SnakeOnTheTown, it sounds like the cobra is enjoying the Big Apple just as any other tourist would ? though of course favoring the snake-friendly activities. We've heard about its tour through the tall grass on the High Line and its visit to the Egyptian exhibit at the Met.
And most fortunately, the cobra hasn't antagonized Gotham's residents ? except for one small bait-and-switch incident: ?Holding very still in the snake exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. This is gonna be hilarious!?
We're shocked that even with the detailed data trail it's leaving, zookeepers still haven't caught the snake. And @BronxZookeeper seems particularly baffled.
How to Catch a Deadly Runaway Cobra-indian-cobra-naja-naja-2.jpg 

Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
That's pretty bad. I would hate to be the person who finds it.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
He's a lil fella. A NYC sewer rat would consider him a snack.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
If it didn't get bitten.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM  
fustrated genius

Don't know much about these Cobras but I can tell you that a rat sized dog, (Chihuahua) does not fare well with rattlesnakes. My little dog was dead withing a few minutes.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm sorry to hear that.

I've always been careful with my dogs and snakes, but there's only so much you can do.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads