Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I've got called more than once but never served.

I sat a few seats down from Nolan Ryan last time I was called in.
Pics or it didn't happen!

I've never been summoned to court for Jury Duty. Ever.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 PM  
fustrated genius

Levi's with no holes is about as dressed up as I can get.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Underware with no holes is about as dressed up as I can get.
I fixed it for you!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood
12 bucks daily, PLUS 88 miles!!!! wooo-hoooTah!!! (I think it's 3 to 5 cents per mile)
I was curious as to what jury duty paid here and I looked it up. During the selection part there is no pay but if you are selected for duty you are paid $50.00 dollars a day here in Alberta.
Hmm, let's see I make more than that in an hour and a half I think I would find a way to get out of if I could. But if is certainly more than what you get.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:32 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Only called once and I served on a trial about an armed robbery. It was a nice experience and we all felt we had done society's due which I personally view as an honor.

Voting and jury duty are the only recourse for serving society and our country. I've never heard of it paying much but most trials are very short if you get picked at all.

We convicted the man on eyewitness testimony of two store clerks. After the trial the DA was allowed to tell us about the guy's past career of robbing grocery stores so that made us all the more pleased with the fair ways we weighed evidence and our end conclusion.

I've never been on trial myself but I would really want a jury of my peers as opposed to a jury of people who were unsuccessful at avoiding serving.

I have no clue as to who here votes or how often but the percentages of voters who bother is depressingly small. Of those who do vote how many cast an "informed vote"? I won't work phone banks anymore because idiots & morons can leave me speechless.

One guy I phoned the night before a Presidential election was stunned to discover we were electing a President the next day. That Geico commercial isn't funny once you discover how many live under rocks.

People talk about when America stood for exceptionalism but crumbling infrastructure, tax dodgers and unregulated capital entities are more reminiscent of the early 20th Century Trusts that led to the Great Depression.

"Ask what you can do for your country" sure applies to the few opportunities we have to serve our society.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Now don't get me wrong with my last post. I have never been served for jury duty and I have voted in every election since I was old enough to vote. If and or when I am asked or served for jury duty I will certainly go and do my duty.
I have no problem about doing that, whether it be a short trial or one that goes on for a long time. Financially it would not bother me in the least to see that justice is done.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 PM  
fustrated genius

My employer would pay our regular pay plus shift differential. If I went in at 0800 and home at 10, but wasn't to report for work until 1600. They would still pay the day full and I would be off that day. But since I am retired . . . nuttin but the 12 bucks, so count a lunch at the near by, choke n puke, and gas. . . I'm in th hole, like my undies. Guess I picked a bad week to give up drinking cheap wine til I pass out on the side walk.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 AM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
I've been summonsed several times,
but never selected as one of the dirty dozen.

I always wanted to do Jury Duty, but the only time I was actually called in,
I knew the victim, so they let me go because that was considered a
conflict of interest.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!

I've never been summoned to court for Jury Duty. Ever.
Lucky you for the most part it's just a waste of a day.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 PM  
fustrated genius

So I show up this morning obnoxiously early as usual, with my mileage from google in hand afraid I may look desrespectful to the court and honorable judge presiding because I just had Levi's on and could not snappy down in a suit, GEEZ! what an idiot! People apparently just don't have respect for courts anymore. MY summons said be there at 8:00 am and people were STILL stroling in like they owned the place at 8:20!! The court schedule said it was to commence at 8:30 yet the judge himself didn't strole in til almost 9:00. Why would I care about wearing Levi britches?
There was an old man who was the defendant and then the judge had us all say our names and personal info, etc., and stated the charges the old geizer was accused of.
DUI!!!double legal limit. Oh yeah, they tossed me out. I had to tell the truth.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads