Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
People who say bustoid
Ha ha, I originally typed something else but thought I better not.

Mothers like THIS:

Tempe police: Surprise mom left kids in car to attend party

Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM  

South St. Paul, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
car sales people that judge customers when they come in, by what they drive, and are dressed like.
a situation like this happened to me last week. i had been to this particular dealer twice earlier last week. i called the salesman who had been helping me and he was off that day. i was ready to get a car and asked him if the had a particular color and options package available. he said he would call me back. i was out to lunch and decided to go over to the dealer and talk to someone else and let them know i had been talking to the other guy and was ready to move on a car. i was there on the show room floor for over 15 minutes and no one came over to ask if i needed help. lots of employees around, yet no one thought i needed help. so i left and called a different dealership about a more expensive car they had in stock. long story short i leased the more expensive car.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I always make it a point to wear board shorts and a cutoff or something ridiculously casual whenever I shop for a car - maybe not shave that day. I find they leave you alone a little more, and then when it gets down and dirty, they're always out of their element when you know more about the vehicle than they do.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
That's actually common. You can put up to three layers on before really needing to strip it.
Its a 30 year old house.
It should be stripped, and inspect all sheeting.
Then new weather barrier applied to the bottom for ice backup, and then reshingled.

By just putting new over old, your increasing the weight load, are not sure what condition the stuff under the shingles is in, and maybe worst of all is is laying flat new shingles, over old curled ones....no way can a top quality job be done like that.
My cousin owns a roofing company, and he will not redo a roof unless its stripped.
He used to but says its not worth the headaches.
And his estimate is that a new shingled roof is good for 25 to 40 years depending on location, and quality of shingles used. But says putting new over old roughly cuts its life in half.
I once bought a house that the previous owner reshingled, without stripping it first.
The shingles were junk in just 9 years.
I stripped both layers off, and reshingled with a little(lot) of help from my cousin and a couple friends.
I sold that house to friends, and know the roof is still in great shape, despite being 16 years old now.
Likely would not have to have nbben done to this day had they done it right.

And its so easy to do, get a roll off bin, or a utility trailer behind your pickup, a shovel, and just go for it.
I stripped my house roof alone, no help.....started friday night after work, and then got a good sleep, the guys showed up about 8 am saturday and we reshingled it.
Took as long with 4 people to reshingle it, as it did for me to strip it by myself, and we used nail guns and had 1 pro roofer there.
Sunday I hauled my trailer load of garbage to the dump.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn4wheeler View Post
a situation like this happened to me last week. i had been to this particular dealer twice earlier last week. i called the salesman who had been helping me and he was off that day. i was ready to get a car and asked him if the had a particular color and options package available. he said he would call me back. i was out to lunch and decided to go over to the dealer and talk to someone else and let them know i had been talking to the other guy and was ready to move on a car. i was there on the show room floor for over 15 minutes and no one came over to ask if i needed help. lots of employees around, yet no one thought i needed help. so i left and called a different dealership about a more expensive car they had in stock. long story short i leased the more expensive car.
LOL......I find car sales people to be generally very stupid individuals.
There are some exceptions, and some are intelligent, really nice people, but they are about 1 in 10 IMO.

I stopped by the local Mercedes dealer to look at thei used car on their lot.
Its a 2007 SLK 350, and seemed like an okay car.
But the salesman was a jerk.
I usually dress casual, as my lifestyle and work tend to have me often getting dirty while out.
But I was not dressed like a bum either.
Had on my levis, T-shirt, black leather triumph riding boots, and leather riding coat.....yes, I did ride my street bike there.
Apparently thats not good enough to look at a used car in.
I had to ask twice to even get im to walk out there and unlock the doors.
Heaven forbid he hand me the keys to start it up, or pop the trunk for a look or something........guess he figured if i had the keys I would steal the car or something.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
I always make it a point to wear board shorts and a cutoff or something ridiculously casual whenever I shop for a car - maybe not shave that day. I find they leave you alone a little more, and then when it gets down and dirty, they're always out of their element when you know more about the vehicle than they do.
I did a similar thing when I went to buy my new boat.
I dressed like a bum, had not shaved in 2 days, and traded my pal pickups for the day.
He has a rusted out, old beater chevy.........it runs good, but looks horrible.
I already knew exactly what boat i wanted, and took the cash to buy it, for what I was willing to pay.
I offered them exactly 80% of asking price, and was told NO WAY.
So I drove the 90 minutes to the next closest dealer that had what I wanted.
I offered them the same amount.
They hummed and hawwed for a while, i started walking out, and they stopped me. Manager said if its cash and you buy it now, then i will do the deal.
So we did the deal, I hooked onto it and towed it home.
But before leaving their lot, I took a pic of it hooked to my pals truck.
When I got home, I emailed the pic to the first dealer.
I got a reply from the owner, and he said his sales people were in crap for letting the deal go, and had he been there on that saturday he would have sold me that boat for the price offered.
He was furious at them.
So after some consideration I wrote him back and said I want to get a kicker bracket and 9.9 kicker motor for my new boat, reply with your best price if interested.
He wrote me back the next day with a killer price, and i stopped and bought them from him.
The salesmen there hid when i came in, seems they must have got in supreme crap with the boss.....lol
I then told the real owner, "that guy (and I pointed to the short / fat guy) said he was the manager and had final say on all sales" and told me my offer was an insult and was rude.
I got another email about a day later saying that the man claiming to have final say was fired.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Haha, I have no sympathy for misplaced jerks in positions of authority either

They make me shake my head and wonder about the integrity of the organizations they represent.

What really gets my head a-shakin' is that they seem to be everywhere these days.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM  

Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:

When I bought my last new car, I did not shave for several days, found my oldest jeans and shirt, then drove my oldest pickup to the bank and got cash. Then on to the dealer, to make the best deal possible. Was left alone for quite some time because I was looking at a high end car. When I had a question, I would have to walk into the sales office to ask it, but the old timers didn't follow me back out. Finally a newbie walked up to me and asked me if I was interested. And I told him I was, but didn't know if I could afford it or not. He said that the dealer could finance it themselves at a higher interest rate but a longer time. When I asked what was the lowest they could go on the car, he went into the office and got a quote which was about $3k higher than I knew was possible from my research on the internet. So I offered the price that the internet advised and originally was told no, so I started to walk away. Since they thought they could make up the difference on financing charges, they stopped me and agreed to the price. We shook hands on the deal and then I went to the pickup for my brief case. You should have seen the look on the young salesman face! Since it was about 5 pm, I said I would want to drive the car home with me, and if that was a problem I would go somewhere else. Go the car, at the price that was recommended and the saleman washed and waxed it himself to make sure I drove it home that day.

I love when people underestatimate me!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Problem is the many who roof over rotten plywood without checking it.
That's something else, and when they fall through the plywood, well, they get it then!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
That's the beauty of cash. I wish I had more. It makes me shake my head

Edit: I hate it when that happens.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.