Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 AM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Correct... I had the landlord, in my case, come over and we went through everything that was 'effed up before I even started. Although it was a newer built house, he knew that it was left in near wrecked shape by the last renters. We had a written up agreement to do the repair work, item by item, in exchange for rent. He also inspected the work for each item completed to see that it was done to his satisfaction and that he wasn't getting screwed. The work I did was done to and exceeded code.
MRB

Saying "exceeded code" makes it sound like you mean "over qualified".

And yes, there is such thing as "over qualifing code standards" in the state of California.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
MRB, I know many landlords who would love to have you as a renter!
In SoCal I rented a house for 25 yr's. The rent was low and to show the LL (who lived in Mo.) my appreciation, I took it upon myself to maintain the house and property at my expense. Later, The LL and I sat down and agreed that
when an expense reached or exceeded a certain amount, the LL would cover the remainder of the cost, or in some instances, the full cost.
Within 10 years, the LL and his wife were so happy with the looks and improvements of the property, he offer to pay me to follow suit on his other 3 rentals (Ranch houses)
In the 25 years, the rent never went up 50.00 higher than when I moved in.

That is, until the property was sold to a Management Co.
That's when I got Out!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM  

el dorado, kansas
i dont know if i mentioned this but this is also a duplex, our neighbors side was recently updated and is in pretty good shape and they pay the same amount in rent as we do
Old 11-26-2011, 02:32 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'd have to agree with the guys above. Vigorously research renters' rights in your state. Also, many law firms will do free consultation with a lawyer. I'd recommend making some time and trying that route. Most will do it without any obligation to pay them a dime.

Let us know how things go please.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 PM  

Houston, Texas
I just thought about this and again I don't know about Kansas but in Texas a tenant cannot withhold rent or a portion of the rent. The tenant must still pay the full rent regardless of the landlord doing repairs or not. All the more incentive to seek action in court. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:43 PM  

el dorado, kansas
yeah i cant withhold rent or do and escrow, but i did just get off the phone with him and he says that he will be by wednesday to fix this stuff so we will see if he lives up to his word. he seems to think that its going to be as simple as to just hook the vent back up and call it a day even though its been sitting on the ground in the dirt for a minimum of 5 months and. hes also going to find water damage around the toilet when he tries to fix that, and if he doesnt fix the water damage its just going to leak again because the toilet is pretty loose on the floor, oh well we will see
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 PM  

Houston, Texas
Just as a suggestion you might want to get pics of everything before he shows and again after. Just to CYA in case he tries to back out or try anything else.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:58 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Each state contain their own "renter's rights" and it would be best to check with the state entity to determine what, if anything, you can repair and deduct off the monthly rent. Most require written notice of needed repairs, but beyond this, I will not speculate on.
Same thing I was going to say.

In Texas you have a reasonable time frame as determined by your leasing agent to have things fixed.

If they fail to fix it in the mean time, hire someone to do it. Don't do it yourself.

If you do and it breaks, you're liable, also you can't bill for your time.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:13 PM  

el dorado, kansas
well he came today and just nailed the duct back to the floor and spray painted over the rust inside the vent, im not really satisfied with how he did it

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!