Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Planned Obsolescence

Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm coming to believe that planned obsolescence is becoming very, very increased in our consumer goods.

Anyone else notice a certain type of item that always breaks down after a suspicious period like 2 years such as vacuums, computer printers, etc.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 PM  

Kinda like a car with a 36,000 mile warranty breaking down with 36,001 miles? I hear it all the time!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:15 AM  
Supporting Member

Yakima, Washington
My 1600 dollar Samsung pos TV broke at 14 months on a 12 month warranty. Customer service told me to take a hike even though if you google "samsung picture no sound" you will get 10's of thousands of hits. They refuse to acknowledge their fault and you are stuck. I was lucky and mastercard doubled my warranty. It took 3 repair trips and replacing literally everything but the plastic casing to have a working tv. I will never buy another samsung product again.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
cell phones. all of them. ones that dont break are the exception, not the norm.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 AM  

I purchased a $2600 SONY POS 61" DLP TV a few years ago. One month out of warranty my screen went green. I did some research and found an active Class Action lawsuit going on, because it appears they used recalled computer parts from a previous lawsuit in which they lost. Long story short, I added my name to the lawsuit and threw the TV away.

From that point forward, I use my AMEX card on all electronic purchases, because they also double the warranty. I just had my wife's HP POS laptop computer repaired this way, because the keyboard broke 2 months out of warranty. AMEX took care of all my repairs, no questions asked.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Right now I'm dealing with a vacuum that wasen't like a $1000+ vacuum but it was a decent price.

The hing on the removable canister snapped off like magic. Looking at it, it really seems made to fail and that single tiny hing causes the vacuum to lose suction. There is also no serviceable way I can find to repair other then getting a new lid.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
something i actually dealt with today. vacuums. to rplace the bag and belt was 35 dollars. a new vacuum was 20 dollars more...
Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 AM  

Wilmington, NC
Look up lightbulbs. Some early ones had an unheard of life, such as the one that's been on continously for over a hundred years. Now mine pop and die off about as often as I put gas in the Jeep. If I could have a bonfire in my apartment instead, I'd do it. The trick would be getting firewood. I could just take old furniture out of dumpsters to use as kindling. That would work pretty well, you know, unless it exploded (friggin' synthetics)
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Light bulbs are warrantied if I'm not mistaken. If it's worth it to you hold onto the receipt and demand your refund.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 AM  
Tea Party Liberal

Mesa, Az
The computer printer thing does piss me off especially in light of ink cartridges costing almost as much the device.

Cell phones: my last two 'military spec' ones died due to internal electronics failure whereas the cases were still intact. I am now running a Nextel Motorola Brute; hopefully it will last more than 2 years.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads