Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM  
fustrated genius

Some teachers . .it just don't make sense.

Over here at my grandson's school, they cut kindergarten classes to half day due to budget cuts. If parents want their child to attend the full day's class they have to pay 1800 bucks in advance.
One of the Kindergarten teachers thought that was BS and keeps her class the full day by VOLUNTERING her time. That's not a teacher teaching for the money, she CARES about the kids. It just don't make sense.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I would say no teacher is doing it for the money.

I respect that, but I know people who come form districts where Kindergarten was half days three a week and they graduated at the same time with the same GPA everyone else did.

I'm not minimizing Kindergarten, I use more of what I learned there in my day to day than high school (sit still, don't bite people, wash your hands).

Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 PM  
fustrated genius

Yeah, when I was a kid in kindergarten that's what I learned too, sit down, eat your gram crackers & drink your milk, stop pulling Elizibeth's pony tail, etc., etc., but my G-son came out of this school's kindergarten reading.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm hoping to have my kid reading by the time she goes to school. We will see, she pretend reads now.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I would say no teacher is doing it for the money.

I respect that, but I know people who come form districts where Kindergarten was half days three a week and they graduated at the same time with the same GPA everyone else did.

I'm not minimizing Kindergarten, I use more of what I learned there in my day to day than high school (sit still, don't bite people, wash your hands).
LIES! lol

I feel like I use more of what I learned in Kindergarten than I did in college. Can I have my money back, please?

That's outrageous they're going to cut school and charge parents. That's what makes me want to teach more and more. I've wanted to be a teacher as long as I can remember. And it's not about the money...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Yeah, when I was a kid in kindergarten that's what I learned too, sit down, eat your gram crackers & drink your milk, stop pulling Elizibeth's pony tail, etc., etc., but my G-son came out of this school's kindergarten reading.
I was the only kid when I got to kindergarten who could read... and well.

I was also the only kid who got in a fist fight that year because Justin wouldn't stop pulling my pigtails. Hey! At least I warned him first. It's his fault for testing my warning.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I'm hoping to have my kid reading by the time she goes to school. We will see, she pretend reads now.
That sounds like a very good plan. Buy every Dr. Seuss book you can and read them with her as often as possible. They are great books for pre school kids and tired parents that want to be entertained while being entertaining

My kids and I used to laugh a lot reading those and I truly believe it helped a lot to make them interested in books. They were all able to read stuff when they started going to school and now they devour books.

Shop at used book stores to save money and meet interesting characters

Beazley Books: Pierre forgets his wedding anniversary...AGAIN
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
My Daughter's library is almost as big as my own.

We mix it up, we read her books, poetry, my books, whatever I feel like really.

The first book I finished with her was Wondering by Hermann Hesse. I thought it ideologically important for her development, well for everyone's, but I can read to her. I put special emphasis on Trees. It's not really a narrative so much as a collection of poems and observances.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.