Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 PM  
Traveler

Story Corps.

Anyone ever listen to Story Corps on NPR? I find many of the stories so fascinating and think it is one of the greatest ideas for preserving our heritage. I always enjoyed listening to the stories of super old folks and their wisdom as a kid many years ago. If anyone else enjoys narrative from famous people and just ordinary folks like us, telling their stories in their own words, from the archives, then you should check out Story Corps. Listen | StoryCorps
Home ? About Us

About Us
StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit whose mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. Since 2003, StoryCorps has collected and archived more than 30,000 interviews from more than 60,000 participants. Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress. StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind, and millions listen to our weekly broadcasts on NPR’s Morning Edition and on our Listen pages.

We do this to remind one another of our shared humanity, strengthen and build the connections between people, teach the value of listening, and weave into the fabric of our culture the understanding that every life matters. At the same time, we will create an invaluable archive of American voices and wisdom for future generations.

In the coming years we will build StoryCorps into an enduring institution that will touch the lives of every American family.

Statement of Principles
•StoryCorps is built on an uncompromising commitment to excellence across all aspects of the project, from collecting, sharing, and preserving people’s stories; to organizational management; to maintaining an extraordinary work environment where respect and dignity are paramount.
•The interview session is at the heart of StoryCorps. We treat participants with the utmost respect, care, and dignity.
•StoryCorps has a relentless focus on serving a wide diversity of participants.
•StoryCorps is a public service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-18-2011, 09:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I don't listen to radio. However this sounds worth checking out at some point. I'd have loved listening while painting apartments. What time is it on?

Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 AM  
Traveler

It's every Friday morning on morning addition. It's just a quick little ditty, but like so many other programs and commentaries on NPR, it really holds your interest. You can listen to stories online too.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 AM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
I for one enjoy talking with older people. This sounds great. I with hook it up through my computer and have a listen. Throughout my travel over the past years to all the places I have been, one of the best things I've done was go either to the small community parks or gathering places and just start up conversations with the people that are there enjoying the sun and such. You learn quite a bit about the area and what has happened there.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 AM  
Dimensional Flux

Groinsboro, Tarheel
Patrick.
Full Text Translator, Language Translation | Free Translations from Dictionary.com
----
Conversing with the remaining People of the Older Generations (born in the 20s, 30s, 40s) is/are quite rewarding and uplifting.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 AM  
Traveler

Some of the participants are younger but you can certainly tap into the older generations. My Father in law was born in 1918 and my dad was born in (GULP) 1936 as was my Mama. Sure hear some great stories from them too!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank_doubt View Post
Patrick.
Full Text Translator, Language Translation | Free Translations from Dictionary.com
----
Conversing with the remaining People of the Older Generations (born in the 20s, 30s, 40s) is/are quite rewarding and uplifting.
Oh I know what that means under my signature, That was from Boris Bob in Bulgaria. Thanks just the same.
The quote, "I have no idea what that means...." is a take of then end credits from the T.V. show "Bones".

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!