Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2011, 06:14 AM  
Traveler

UK Riots

I didn't know where to put this--hope this is Ok.
http://www.ajc.com/business/cameron-...t-1093195.html

'Britain's riots began Saturday when an initially peaceful protest over a police shooting in London's Tottenham neighborhood turned violent. That clash has morphed into a general lawlessness in London and several other cities that police have struggled to halt.

While the rioters have run off with goods every teen wants — new sneakers, bikes, electronics and leather goods — they also have torched stores apparently just for the fun of seeing something burn. They were left virtually unchallenged in several neighborhoods, and when police did arrive they often were able to flee quickly and regroup.'

So the rioters are primarily young people? It is difficult to imagine exactly what is going on. For many years I haven't understood a great deal about what goes on in Europe---nor do I fully understand what goes on in the US. fwiw.

~~~
'In London, where armored vehicles and convoys of police vans patrolled the streets, authorities said there were 16,000 officers on duty — almost triple the number present Monday night.'

I believe I have read that LE in the UK doesn't carry weapons. I suppose if the situation required it they might?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM  
fustrated genius

I witnessed a police shooting several years ago. I think that we need to watch our cops to keep em honest and all, but the shooting I saw was extremely different than the one the media described, in fact, I thought I was reading about a different shooting. I got into several discussions at work about it too. Some guys were saying it's not against the law to carry firearms here and that's true, it's not against the law to walk down the street either but if a uniform cop tells you to drop your weapon and get your hands up perhaps one might THINK about doing it. I don't know about this Brit case, but the one I saw, the guy gave them ansolutely no choice, and the media tried to enflame it into a police brutality case.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I witnessed a police shooting several years ago. I think that we need to watch our cops to keep em honest and all, but the shooting I saw was extremely different than the one the media described, in fact, I thought I was reading about a different shooting. I got into several discussions at work about it too. Some guys were saying it's not against the law to carry firearms here and that's true, it's not against the law to walk down the street either but if a uniform cop tells you to drop your weapon and get your hands up perhaps one might THINK about doing it. I don't know about this Brit case, but the one I saw, the guy gave them ansolutely no choice, and the media tried to enflame it into a police brutality case.
I'm not certain how this compares to what is going on in the UK.

I just saw a segment on a news channel--they don't believe the causes are racial nor do they think that some recent changes in government assistance are behind this. It was described as 'flash mobs'--mainly teenagers and younger children looting businesses--overwhelming store security.

On a BBC board posters are saying--'Bad parenting and things like that'.

There were cutbacks to law enforcement---additional forces are being brought in to control the mobs.

I suppose this could happen here---I may be naieve but I believe something would be done in almost any US city to stop this very quickly.

It provides a small amount of perspective on remarks made during the coverage of the Royal Wedding. blah, blah, blah---The future ruler of Britain needs to be in touch with the people---I suppose so.

US politics is bad enough--I don't pretend to understand what goes on elsewhere.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM  
Traveler

An official in the UK just made a statement---'for a number of years students have not been properly disciplined in the schools---they don't get it at home--many single parent families, etc'

So all over the world the this seems to be the diagnosis for societal ills.

They still say there is no real reason but that increased response from LE has begun to control the situation.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM  
fustrated genius

What I was saying is that the media changes things around, from what I've heard, through the media, is that the riots stemmed from otherwise "peaceful dems" about a police shooting. I don't believe the incident I was referring to had to do with ethnic or racial issues either. I was saying about the media, implying and missinforming to sensationalize the situation. I have a small 4 cylinder and don't race at all.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
What I was saying is that the media changes things around, from what I've heard, through the media, is that the riots stemmed from otherwise "peaceful dems" about a police shooting. I don't believe the incident I was referring to had to do with ethnic or racial issues either. I was saying about the media, implying and missinforming to sensationalize the situation. I have a small 4 cylinder and don't race at all.
The media--don't get me started.

I suppose they well get this stopped one way or the other and if the people of the UK have to listen to what would automatically follow in the US--they have my sympathy. It would be 24/7 Fox News, CNN and all the rest--analyzing and theorizing---the nation would soon be at a breaking point.

There were several outbreaks of crime in Atlanta in the winter---more serious, several murders and public outrage was strong. From time to time what seems to be more like organized crime--perhaps gang related--do smash and grabs from department stores--clearly calling for legal intervention. The closest thing we have had to kids terrorizing the community was when a film was shown in a local park and some teens threw bottles or something. The films were discontinued for a month or so and security in the area were increased.

I just can't imagine how Atlanta would respond if teenagers and younger kids started looting all over the city.
One comment I heard was that the younger ones couldn't be prosecuted---that is different here.

I suppose we will hear much more about this.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!