Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I always show respect and consideration for people riding bikes, unless they are obviously oblivious and ignorant, in which case I will blast them with the horn before running them off the road.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ
I always show respect and consideration for people riding bikes, unless they are obviously oblivious and ignorant, in which case I will blast them with the horn before running them off the road.
Would you do the same thing if they were driving a car? An 18 wheeler? Another jeep?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
Knowing Rip, he probably would!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 PM  

Houston, Texas
Even another jeep??? Surely the world will end tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
Whether it be a trucker, Jeeper or biker. Rip will run all the idiots of the road

I am being facetious of course
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdactyl
Whether it be a trucker, Jeeper or biker. Rip will run all the idiots of the road

I am being facetious of course
Well, if someone acts just as stupid as someone else I guess it makes them both idiots.

Sorry to say but I'm not being facetious. Sigh.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Death to all idiots is only one of my motto's.

But I do in fact drive like a little old lady, and prefer to give the obviously oblivious a wide berth
Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 AM  

Houston, Texas
As do I. There will always be stupid people who lower the overall life expectancy of their demographic group (i'm thinking 18-35 yo males). Better to just ignore them and go about your business.
I want to make something clear about why I ride a bike. I am a commuter, I go from point A to point B by bike. I don't own, need or want a car/ truck/ jeep/ Segway/ jet ski/ etc. Fact is a the current time I don't even have a drivers license, just a state ID. Some may be thinking that the reason I don't have a license is that it was taken for tickets, DWI, etc. You would be wrong. Never had a DWI and my last moving violation was about 10-11 years ago. I don't have a license because I can't pass the eye exam to get me license renewed. I have cataracts and until I have surgery (about 2-3 years on a waiting list through the VA) it is not safe for me to drive. But I don't mind. Keeps me in shape. That way when I do come across someone who thinks they have more right to be on the road they will fond out what t's like to deal with a very PO'd vet.
Pic 1. My commuter bike. Note the U-lock inside the frame. Works very will for dispensing information about bicyclist rights. ut then again I have yet to encounter a motorist who actually has the huevos to get out of the car.
Pic 2. Don't leave home without it. Capsaicin and related Capasaicinoids 35%. Same brand USPS letter carriers have. Works very well on dogs (and if need the dog owner).
What ticks you off on a regular basis-img_0248.jpg 

What ticks you off on a regular basis-img_0249.jpg 

Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Death to all idiots is only one of my motto's.

But I do in fact drive like a little old lady, and prefer to give the obviously oblivious a wide berth
Not me. Without them I become the idiot and I'm not OK with that.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdactyl View Post
The bicyclists here are quite nice . Once they see a car coming up from behind they drift the curb to allow safe passage. I give then a wide birth after I make sure everything is clear. However, I wait and stay behind the biker if he/she has intentions of turn left, can't tell ya how many close calls I have seen where a biker has his arm out to turn left and a driver almost nails them as they try to pass.

Most of the residential streets here are wide enough on both sides for bikers and drivers to share the road alike. Some have bike lanes, some don't but the roads were made wide enough for safe travel of bikes and vehicles alike.

Today I was aggrivated at a truck that had more than half the back of his vehicle sticking out of the median when he pulled out to turn left. I had to slam the breaks.

And currently the YJ barely has a clutch, I have to keep pumping it at stop lights. I believe there are some bubbles in the slave cylinder. Drove it without the clutch today on wet road and leaves. I fishtailed quite a few times. Took it very easy coming home today.

Looked up some laws of NC regarding bicyclists , they are supposed to stay right here

"When riding on a roadway, a bicyclist must ride in
the same direction as other traffic. Also, the bicyclist
must travel in the right-hand lane and should ride
as close as practicable to the right-hand edge of
the highway. [?20-146(a)] Exceptions to this
law are provided when the bicyclist is making
these maneuvers:
• Passing another vehicle moving in the same
direction [?20-146(a)(1)]
• Avoiding a dangerous obstruction
[?20-146(a)(2)]
• Riding on a one-way street [?20-146(a)(4)]
• Preparing for a left turn. [?20-146(e)]"

Being Passed
A bicyclist cannot take actions to prevent another
vehicle from lawfully passing. For example, the vehicle
being passed must give way to the right when given an
audible signal, and may not increase their speed until
they are completely passed. [?20-149

Whether biking or driving one should not antagonize another, this includes biker and driver. Neither should stop in the middle of the road, or purposely block lane to prevent passing.
Texas motor vehicle law says the same thing. But Texas MV law also prohibits passing another vehicle in residential areas even if the vehicle being passed is going under the posted speed. And yes, Texas motor vehicle code does define a bicycle as a vehicle. The same thing applies if you're passing another car on a residential street. Car or bicycle or whatever, it's still a traffic violation, not to mention that the act potentially endangers my safety. The leading cause of bicyclist deaths in the US is being struck by a car/truck/motorized vehicle. Not hitting another vehicle, not running off the road, not colliding with a static object but being hit by a car that's in motion.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.