Originally Posted by Cutlass327
CCW... keep hands in plain view until officer is beside you.
When my eyesight was still good enough to drive I had a routine, the very few times, if I was pulled over.
1. Pull over immediately, preferably in a parking lot, or well out of the traffic flow
2. Put your window down. Turn on your flashers. Yes, even in a parking lot.
3. Turn off the engine, remove the keys and put them on the dash. Turn on the interior light if it's dark out.
4. Hold the steering wheel and don't move your hands unless directed to do so.
5. Before you remove your hands inform the officer of where you are reaching and why. Registration/ proof of insurance is in the glove compartment, wallet is on my right hip pocket.
6. Be courteous and respectful.
7. If carrying a concealed weapon inform the officer immediately. Make this step 5.
8. Follow all instructions without argument or discussion.
The police are not your friend but doing this has gotten me out of some tickets and it beats the possible alternative which is a no win situation.