Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 01:02 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Worst Natural Disasters in History

[QUOTE]This is a simple map with locations of the 10 worst natural disasters (by type) in the World. Complete with honorable mentions of the worst disasters in the United States.
HTML Code:
http://blog.ezasset.com/?p=339
The information was compiled from Wikipedia, LiveScience, and Popular Mechanics. You will notice that I didn?t include heat waves, limnic eruptions, or famines. The goal was to focus on natural disasters that caused property damage.

Worst Natural Disaster By Category:

1931 China Floods

Death Toll: 850,000-4,000,000
1931_china_floods__the_most_devastating_flood_of_t he_20th_century

1972 Iran Blizzard
1972- Blizzard in Iran leaves 4000 dead.

1970 Bhola Cyclone

Old 05-22-2011, 01:04 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
1556 Shaanxi Earthquake

1989 Saturia-Manikganj Sadar Tornado

The Daulatpur-Saturia, Bangladesh Tornado was an extremely destructive tornado that occurred in the Manikganj District, Bangladesh on April 26, 1989. It was the costliest and deadliest tornado in Bangladesh's history. There is great uncertainty about the death toll, but estimates indicate that it killed around 1,300 people, which would make it the deadliest tornado in history.[1] The tornado affected the cities of Daulatpur and Saturia the most, moving east through Daulatpur and eventually northeast and into Saturia.[1] Previously, the area that the tornado hit had been in a state of drought for six months, possibly generating tornadic conditions.[1]

2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami
tsunami Indian Ocean December 26, 2004 250,000-310,000

1815 Eruption of Mount Tambora
1. Tambora, Indonesia April 5- April 12, 1815 92,000

Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
1871 Peshtigo Fire, Wisconsin*
HTML Code:
http://www.peshtigofire.info/

The October 8, 1871 Peshtigo Fire in Peshtigo, Wisconsin, is the conflagration that caused the most deaths by fire in United States history, killing as many as 2,500.[1] Occurring on the same day as the more infamous Great Chicago Fire, the Peshtigo Fire is mostly forgotten.[2][3] On the same day as the Peshtigo and Chicago fires, the cities of Holland, and Manistee, Michigan, across Lake Michigan, also burned, and the same fate befell Port Huron at the southern end of Lake Huron.
Firestorm

On the day of the fire, a cold front moved in from the west, bringing strong winds that fanned smaller fires and escalated them to massive proportions.[4] By the time it was over, 1,875 square miles (4,850 km? or 1.2 million acres) of forest had been consumed, an area approximately twice the size of the state of Rhode Island. Some sources list 1.5 million acres (6,000 km?) burned. Twelve communities were destroyed. An accurate death toll has never been determined since local population records were destroyed in the fire. Between 1,200 and 2,500 people are thought to have lost their lives. The 1873 Report to the Wisconsin Legislature listed 1,182 names of deceased or missing residents. Peshtigo had an estimated 1,700 residents before the fire. More than 350 bodies were buried in a mass grave,[5] primarily because so many had died that no one remained alive who could identify many of them.

Mass grave
The fire was so intense it jumped several miles over the waters of Green Bay and burned parts of the Door Peninsula, as well as jumping the Peshtigo River itself to burn on both sides of the inlet town. Surviving witnesses reported that the firestorm generated a tornado that threw rail cars and houses into the air. Many of the survivors of the firestorm escaped the flames by immersing themselves in the Peshtigo River, wells, or other nearby bodies of water. Some drowned while others succumbed to hypothermia in the frigid river. The Green Island Light was kept lit by day due to the obscuring smoke, but the three-masted schooner George L. Newman was wrecked offshore; the crew was fortunately rescued without loss.[6]

Quote:
a recent publication by Denise Gess and William Lutz, gives a detailed account of the event. In the words of Lutz, "A firestorm is called nature's nuclear explosion. Here's a wall of flame, a mile high, five miles (8 km) wide, traveling 90 to 100 miles per hour (160 km/h), hotter than a crematorium, turning sand into glass."

*Same night as the Chicago Fire. My family lived in Peshtigo at the time of the fire, and barely survived.

US Honorable Mentions:

1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire

1980 Eruption of Mount Saint Helen

1889 Johnstown Flood

1928 Okeechobee Hurricane

1900 Hurricane Galveston

2005 Hurricane Katrina[/QUOTE]
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I was thinking about this last night. The severity of a natural disaster is dependent on the population affected, therefore claims to worst in history would have to be based on percentages of the population dieing as opposed to total number lost. Not to minimize, there are more factors than that, but still.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:26 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
This is a very good point and could help to explain why Pompeii demise via Vesuvius and the Mt. Pelee eruption of 1902 in Martinique are on my list.

And let's not forget Krakatoa, or for that matter the extinction event at the K-T boundary.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I was thinking about this last night. The severity of a natural disaster is dependent on the population affected, therefore claims to worst in history would have to be based on percentages of the population dieing as opposed to total number lost. Not to minimize, there are more factors than that, but still.
If you Google "worst natural disasters" most are by human losses. This set was more about other factors. It's hard to compute financial losses given the times involved but usually deaths and property losses roughly coincide.

911 for instance involved less than 3000 deaths but in financial terms there was the damage to lower Manhattan , income lost to the city after the attack, training new police & fire forces, security measures in place to enhance security and two wars.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
This is a very good point and could help to explain why Pompeii demise via Vesuvius and the Mt. Pelee eruption of 1902 in Martinique are on my list.

And let's not forget Krakatoa, or for that matter the extinction event at the K-T boundary.
Also megatons of force, reformation of the earth, axis realignments, all of it, it seems like something like Krakatoa hasn't happened in some time.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Also megatons of force, reformation of the earth, axis realignments, all of it, it seems like something like Krakatoa hasn't happened in some time.
Permit me to introduce my neighbors........
Worst Natural Disasters in History-3578.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-baker01_aerial_view_mount_baker_03-21-01.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-camping_out_on_mount_hood-_oregon_-_800x1200.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-jefferson84_mount_jefferson_from_east_10-06-84.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-south-sister-mountain-crater-bowl-lakele.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-mount_adams_from_trout_lake.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-mcloughlin05_aerial_mount_mcloughlin_from_west_12-08-05.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-mountbachelorandwildgrass.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-img244.jpg 

Worst Natural Disasters in History-middle-sister.jpg 

Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Man, that's just asking for trouble.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I know......

I was happily basking in my 80 mile separation from Hood till discovering Portland is a write off if it blows like Mt. Mazama did. The snowcones are more merciful than any nursing home.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!