Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oklahoma
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Shaky time

Earthquakes, felt all the way to Kansas City.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Earthquakes, felt all the way to Kansas City.
Supposedly an earthquake sometime last week near Tahoe. I slept through it but the old woman said she felt it here in Sacramento in the early morning. Was up there last to check out house and asked around and aparently there was a 4. something recorded up there the week sometime before.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Supposedly an earthquake sometime last week near Tahoe. I slept through it but the old woman said she felt it here in Sacramento in the early morning. Was up there last to check out house and asked around and aparently there was a 4. something recorded up there the week sometime before.
If you're in an area where fracking was done couldn't quakes be more serious than if the ground structure was untouched?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
If you're in an area where fracking was done couldn't quakes be more serious than if the ground structure was untouched?
No theres been no fracking done here. But, fracking can cause earthquakes to occur where they wouldn't otherwise. In southern California there has been earthquakes from injecting water into geothermal vents to create steam to run turbines to make power. They've been doing it there for many, many years. Supposedly they have reduced the amount of water they have been injecting in for several years now. There is several fault lines just north of Lake Tahoe and they have been active on and off for many many years. Not usually very big but at times can be felt many miles away. We do live on the Pacific rim or ring of fire and more than likely it's simple plate tectonics. I predict that a major earthquake hits the Juan De Fuca plate area off of Washington State soon. They have already have had one in the Aleutians and before that, the one off of Japan. They have been and are due.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
The strongest recorded earthquake in the U.S. was in Missouri in 1804. The Mississippi river flowed backwards.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
No theres been no fracking done here. But, fracking can cause earthquakes to occur where they wouldn't otherwise. In southern California there has been earthquakes from injecting water into geothermal vents to create steam to run turbines to make power. They've been doing it there for many, many years. Supposedly they have reduced the amount of water they have been injecting in for several years now. There is several fault lines just north of Lake Tahoe and they have been active on and off for many many years. Not usually very big but at times can be felt many miles away. We do live on the Pacific rim or ring of fire and more than likely it's simple plate tectonics. I predict that a major earthquake hits the Juan De Fuca plate area off of Washington State soon. They have already have had one in the Aleutians and before that, the one off of Japan. They have been and are due.
Many of the major fault lines have been found in The Majove Desert.. I lived in San Bernardino, Ca. for over 30 yr's.
My house sat directly on "The San Andeas fault line"
(which is in the Majove Desert)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oklahoma
Bookmark this Page!