Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Orange County
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2010, 04:16 PM  

Kentucky
moving to California

I am planning a move to California and am wondering where is the best place to go as far as rent and the cost of living and I suppose there are many other variables that will come to mind by the time I get set to go in the spring.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:49 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Despite the economy, people from other states still get a shock when they see the housing prices in CA. That's one of the reasons we have so many ex-Californians here, sell your house in CA and literally get twice as much for half the money. Do you have a job lined up in a certain area or will you just move out and start looking? The affordable places are either out in the boonies where there are no jobs, or nasty parts of big cities. You could try Oroville or grass Valley and commute to Sacramento to work.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM  

Sacramento, California
Bisjoe makes a good point. LA and the Bay Area are very expensive. The Central Valley is very reasonable and the sticks are cheap. We're in the sticks and pay $550 for a 2 bedroom place. Saw where you could buy a house in a place called Trona (I've been there) for about $7000 clear title. Guess it all depends on what you consider an acceptable place to live.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 AM  

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by swms View Post
Bisjoe makes a good point. LA and the Bay Area are very expensive. The Central Valley is very reasonable and the sticks are cheap. We're in the sticks and pay $550 for a 2 bedroom place. Saw where you could buy a house in a place called Trona (I've been there) for about $7000 clear title. Guess it all depends on what you consider an acceptable place to live.
I am not accustom to an expensive way of life, I live a modest life and in the sticks is were I have lived my whole life, it is were I am most happy. $550 for rent is more than I would pay around here but for California I am sure that that is very cheap. $7000 for a house sounds awfully cheap, surely you don't mean $7000, but that is right down my alley. I am starting my own business so where is not an issue as of yet, I would need to choose a place and then find out if my business could work there.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM  

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Despite the economy, people from other states still get a shock when they see the housing prices in CA. That's one of the reasons we have so many ex-Californians here, sell your house in CA and literally get twice as much for half the money. Do you have a job lined up in a certain area or will you just move out and start looking? The affordable places are either out in the boonies where there are no jobs, or nasty parts of big cities. You could try Oroville or grass Valley and commute to Sacramento to work.
Is Grass Valley affordable? I have a job in mind but will have to find an area and then see if my job will work out there.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM  

I've been up in the Grass Valley area twice this year looking for houses, and most 3 bed/2 bath with 1-2 acres are running $400k - $450k.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I've been up in the Grass Valley area twice this year looking for houses, and most 3 bed/2 bath with 1-2 acres are running $400k - $450k.
That used to be cheap for CA, but I hear prices have dropped a lot from my family down there. For ideas check Realtor.com, they have both sale and rental listings.

I just checked for fun, Trona has 9 listings from $18,500 to $115,000. It's like going back in time. For me though, no thanks. Not a tree within 100 miles, no lakes, rivers or oceans, for a business no customers.

Grass Valley does have several under $200,000, even one for $65,000 on 1.5 acres but it's a tiny house. Nice area though in the Sierra Foothills.

Here's Trona:
moving to California-trona.jpg 

Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 AM  

Moorpark, CA
California is a big place, narrow it down to region (northern, southern, inland, valley, mountain, coastal) and you will probably get more responses. Welcome!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 PM  

Costa Mesa, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
California is a big place, narrow it down to region (northern, southern, inland, valley, mountain, coastal) and you will probably get more responses. Welcome!
Correction: California is a HUGE place and the regions are VERY different. For cheap(er) living, you're talking either mountains (not the KY kind), desert, or ag regions (also not the KY kind, but similar). Have a preference? How big of a local population do you need for your business or is it online/mail and doesn't matter? Why are you looking to come to CA?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM  

Fullerton, California
Orange county is expensive. My area sees 1500-2000 a month rent for a 2 bedroom apartment. I live near Cal State Fullerton though.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Orange County
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads