Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2010, 03:29 AM  

Eugene, Oregon
Any Survival Preppers In Oregon?

I joined this group, hoping to find preppers here in Oregon. I don't brew beer and like to keep a clear head. So if there are preppers out there, please let me know. Thanks

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
Well, I don't belong to any Prepper group but I have been a prepper for a long time. I don't have a homestead but I have a 40 foot sailboat. I'm armed and have food and water stored.

I have a story about teaching our kids to be survivors. I told the kids we store this food and water because someday something really bad might happen and only the people who prepare will survive. I said, you may have to defend you stores with your life because the people who didn't prepare will try to take your food and water. I told them you may have to use deadly force to stop them.

That might have been a bit much for a 5 year old to take in. Thanksgiving day in 1982 we were in a cat 5 Hurricane that left Hawaii without power for about three weeks. The water system was down for a week or two and it took two or three days to get the little Blue toilets and water trailers set up in the housing areas.

I had two 55 gal barrels set under the eves to catch water so we filled a bucket of water dumped it in the back of the toilet and we had flush toilets while everyone else used the outhouse for a week or two. We also had about 30 gals of drinking water.

Well, in about two days our 5 year old's friend's mother shows up at the door and says, "I hear you have some drinking water, COULD YOU SPARE SOME". Our daughters jaw dropped, her head spun around and she said, "no dad she's my friends mom". The lady looked at our daughter like, that was a weird thing to say. I didn't tell her our daughter didn't mean don't give you water, she meant DON'T SHOOT YOU! I did break my rules and gave her a gal of water that day.

Oh, we also got out the Coleman stove and oven and finished cooking our little turkey and had a nice Thanksgiving in the middle of a hurricane. We've laughed about this story for years. Just one of those SURVIVALIST family memories.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 PM  

Eugene, Oregon
sort of a prepper. I have about six months of food, a bob, and a crap ton of ammo (not really a prep, but it was a pita to find during the shortage and I didnt want to be in the same situation again)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:46 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
I think you're right, if you had a survival homebrew your post might be getting all kind of hits. I think anyone who lives in the Pacific Northwest would be well advised to set their brewing aside for awhile and start getting a BOB (bug out bag) ready. If you live on the coast you probably will not survive if you are not ready and the subduction zone moves. This event is over due and it will happen, maybe not for for 100yr, maybe tomorrow.

People say oh well I'm not going to worry, if it happens it happens, until it happens. Being prepared is not worrying, it is being responsible and not a burden in the middle of a disaster. It's a little long but this presentation is worth watching for anyone in Oregon west of the Willamette River. Stay prepared as natural disaster is not the only reason to be ready for come what may.

Cascadia Subduction Zone

p.s. go here and see how the Hams in this area are in to being prepared. Most of us have our BOB, food, water and ammo. http://wa7ve_stars.webs.com/apps/blog/
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM  

Not part of any group, but I have been collecting equipment and general knowledge for some time. Stores of food and water are important, but I have focused largely on mobile survival. I'm building an INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) bag for a scenario where there is no option to return home and my family has to survive for an unknown period of time. As a result I have looked more at how to collect, secure, or purify water and how to locate or catch food. Sometimes I wonder if it is just paranoia and I'll never be faced with that situation, but then I think about how things would go if something happened and I wasn't ready. Some of my friends think I'm a little odd for spending time and money on such stuff, but to me, it's the same as buying insurance.

My general plan is to have several copies of my INCH bag (one in each vehicle and one in the house) and to grab the family and head away from civilization, in a vehicle or on foot, in the event of a disaster. My Jeep is my primary choice of vehicles and is stocked with more equipment than the car or on foot options.

Hah! Maybe I just need a different hobby. I used to bowl. Hmmm . . .

s1xty7
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1xty7 View Post
Not part of any group, but I have been collecting equipment and general knowledge for some time. Stores of food and water are important, but I have focused largely on mobile survival. I'm building an INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) bag for a scenario where there is no option to return home and my family has to survive for an unknown period of time. As a result I have looked more at how to collect, secure, or purify water and how to locate or catch food. Sometimes I wonder if it is just paranoia and I'll never be faced with that situation, but then I think about how things would go if something happened and I wasn't ready. Some of my friends think I'm a little odd for spending time and money on such stuff, but to me, it's the same as buying insurance.

My general plan is to have several copies of my INCH bag (one in each vehicle and one in the house) and to grab the family and head away from civilization, in a vehicle or on foot, in the event of a disaster. My Jeep is my primary choice of vehicles and is stocked with more equipment than the car or on foot options.

Hah! Maybe I just need a different hobby. I used to bowl. Hmmm . . .

s1xty7
You might want to google and download this:
FM 21-76 US ARMY SURVIVAL MANUAL

I carry a BOB (Bug Out Bag) in my Jeep, here is part of a post I made on another forum:

I agree, when folks are afraid they are going to gravitate toward what makes them feel safest. The people I know in Portland feel just like their Mayor, guns are BAD. So they don't have one and they don't have the skills to survive in the wild. They don't know how to catch or gather food or what to use for food. They don't know how to get safe water, start a fire or find shelter. They have no weapons or skills and have never even thought of planning for this event. They will stay in the city where they have always been safe until they die or are killed by the armed BG's who have weapons. I doubt 10% will leave, they would rather die at home because they know they can't survive in the wild. So goes MHO.

Oh, I forgot about the BOB. My main BOB is bolted inside my Jeep Wrangler and has food, water, shelter, fire, map, gun, ammo and more. It is in a locked box bolted in the vehicle because I am disabled and never more than 200' from that Jeep. It has 200 rds 9m, 300 rds .22LR and 200 rds .22 short (less sound).

There is also a copy of the Army Survival Manual in there.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM  
***** Builder

Bend, Oregon
Intelligent people, always nice to find you. I'm of a similar mindset but slightly more paranoid because of my lack of fundage to make the preps I want both in stuff and in training.

In the end I think the best tool is your brain. By the time someone manages to take your knowledge away you're up that metaphorical creek so do what you can to stuff it with as much info and training as you can so the physical tools you have are all that more useful.

Tom Brown Jr can apparently train you to survive indefinitely with just a knife. An expert with ropes can make it do all kinds of things, nets, climbing harnesses, traps etc. Not to mention basic first aid. some people have kits, but dp they really know what they are doing? I haven't managed to get that training yet.. but It's in mind.

ANyway, goodo to see you and look forward to interesting discussions!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPanther View Post
Intelligent people, always nice to find you. I'm of a similar mindset but slightly more paranoid because of my lack of fundage to make the preps I want both in stuff and in training.
I thought, you can be ready for basic survival with out to much cost involved. Then I thought, I have been trained in Jungle Survival, Arctic Survival, Desert Survival and how to evade capture. What would that training cost? I don't know since 22 years in the Army is where I got it. A lot can be learned from the internet. If you are young and healthy go practice but stay safe. You don't have to venture far into the woods to see how you would do. Can you find water, food and shelter? Start with knowledge, learn how to do those things then try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPanther View Post
some people have kits, but dp they really know what they are doing? I haven't managed to get that training yet.. but It's in mind.
The answer is no, many don't. They think having a kit is all it takes. A kit is better than nothing unless you don't get the training because you think the kit makes you safe. If the kit keeps you from getting the training it's worse than nothing. You can teach yourself using the internet but you might get some professional training when you can afford it. What you will get from professional training is the proper mindset and confidence, the knowledge you can gain on your own, IMHO. I would download the Army Survival manual to start, it's not just someones opinion. Good luck
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM  

Roseburg, Oregon
Have you looked into American Preppers Network • Portal ?

There are a a good variety of people on there from the hardcore survivalist to mom and pops who like to just get back to " the old ways".

Hop into the Oregon forum and look us up
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Sergeant Knots Paracord Products - Home Survival Bracelets, Keyfobs, Zipper Pulls, 7.62mm Bullets Necklace, Saw Bracelets

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads