Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM  

Lebanon, OR
We lived in Grants Pass for 8.5 years before moving back to the Willamette Valley. Grants Pass is a very nice little city with some really great restaurants that we miss - especially Wild River Brewing & Pizza!

Cons - water can be hard to come by so make sure you pay attention to well test results! You will more than likely need a water softener system. If you plan to garden or even if you just want to water your lawn you will either need a holding tank or a well with good flow and good recovery time.

Fire crawls down hill and runs up hill - be sure and keep that in mind and have an evacuation plan in place especially if your only route out is down hill from your home, you won't have a lot of time to get out.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 PM  

Sacramento, California
Wow. I didn't realize that about fire movement. I've been concerned about it, but don't really have the knowledge. Thank you.

... and we love us some pizza.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 AM  

Lebanon, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Wow. I didn't realize that about fire movement. I've been concerned about it, but don't really have the knowledge. Thank you.

... and we love us some pizza.
If you haven't already been to Wild River you have to stop in there - their wood fired ovens and specialty pizza's and sandwiches are wonderful and then their is their Chocolate ?clairs - HUGE and the filling is just they way ?clairs are supposed to be, none of the heavy pudding type junk you find in most bakeries in the US.

Abu's Oasis also has some delicious Lebanese food and the owner and his daughter that run the place are very personable. We stopped in last year after having not been there in a couple of years and they immediately recognized us and asked if we wanted our usual.

The hospital is less than 10 years old and there are lots of great doctors over at the Grants Pass Clinic. Our two favorite doctors in town were Dr. Andrew Luther and Dr. Tamara Medley.

Oh one other thing - flooding doesn't happen very often but keep in mind that it does happen (we had real estate agents tell us it didn't and then watched as the next winter the house they tried to sell us flooded) and evaluate that potential too especially if you are looking at low bank water front property.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM  

Sacramento, California
All good information. Thanks wags.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Wild River Brewing!! Looks like we might have to meet up for pizza, CA!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 PM  

Sacramento, California
I'm in.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:56 PM  

Portland, OREGON!
Con...it's boring
Pro....It's boring
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM  

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyisrad View Post
Con...it's boring
Pro....It's boring
I understand. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM  

Pleasant Hill - Reedsport, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
My wife and I hope to move to the Grants Pass area soon. We've spent time there and really like the place. It will be where we retire and we think we have found our last outpost. We plan to live a bit outside of town.

So, are there any negatives we should know about?
Nice town... But long drive to the coast from there.....
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM  

My family has slowly been retiring to GP since the mid 70s and I spent a lot of time there. My mother, cousins, aunts/uncles, etc.. are there still. I have a soft spot for it and love it but you might want to make sure it still represents the place you like. It's growing a lot. It might be a little stifling if your politics are liberal. Getting a place outside of town is nice as you can get more land and enjoy the country but be sure it's covered by sheriff and fire districts who are under very heavy budget issues.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.