Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM  

Eugene, Oregon
Why do runners run on the road -- in the dark?

Thanks to Prefontaine and his mark on the University of Oregon here, Eugene has the fond nickname, "Tracktown USA". Next to bicyclists, runners love to get out there and run, run, run, duh do run, run.

I live near the Amazon trail, a gorgeous sawdust trail for runners of all ages and utilized by middle schoolers, high schoolers and the college crowd. This was one of Prefontaine's pet projects after seeing similar trails overseas.

So, why is it when I get up at 4:30 a.m. to get to work I encounter, black clothed runners striding side by side on the blacktop streets of Eugene with little or no reflective tape or lights to let me know those shadows are not hallucinations? Don't they know I have only had a smidgeon of coffee with more to follow when I get to work? I am driving by the trail, they are running in the bicycle lane and road and I must swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid them. What the Heck?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM  

Silverdale, WA
One of my biggest pet peeves is when people run or walk near public roads with no reflective gear. Yet, the responsibility falls on the driver to watch out for them. We require reflective gear for bicyclists and motorcyclists but don't have similar rules in place for pedestrians. A reflective vest costs maybe 10 bucks at Walmart
A few years ago in Hawaii, we had a big storm and I am pretty sure I drenched the heck out of a couple people with my car tires when I drove by them in the dark.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM  

roads are smoother

I asked a runner that very question after seeing her running in the dark and she told me that the streets are smoother and the fear of dogs scareing them as they jogged on the sidewalk next to the fence was less.
She said she almost has a heart attack when the dogs pounce!!

The retroreflective vest is just common sense, and not everyone was raised with it. lol
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM  

Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by longoddr1 View Post
The retroreflective vest is just common sense, and not everyone was raised with it. lol
Nor taught it by their parents. I have had some people run side-by-side in the dark, with dark clothing, nothing reflective.

Bill Engvall said it best "Here's your sign."
Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 PM  

Portland, OR
It's amazing. I like to run on the blacktop - it's softer than the concrete of the sidewalk.

If you don't use reflection or a flasher - you're going to find yourself in trouble.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:00 AM  

San Antonio, TX
Good life insurance?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
So, why is it when I get up at 4:30 a.m. to get to work I encounter, black clothed runners striding side by side on the blacktop streets of Eugene with little or no reflective tape or lights to let me know those shadows are not hallucinations?
I share your concerns. As we age the floaters in our eyes increase in numbers. By my age oncoming headlights can cause a great deal of glare. I often wonder if pedestrians are at all aware of the dangers of poor visibility including rush hour traffic driving West toward a setting sun.
The people around Keizer are pretty good at including reflective gear and lights but no one seems to understand that even sunglasses can't compensate for the glare of the sun.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
bike lane?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 PM  

Reflective belts are enough, those things are almost blinding when light catches them.

Sure, they might not be 'fashionable' but dead people don't say that...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 AM  
That Guy

Vancouver, Washington
I wear my old Army PT shirts if running in the dark. they dont look reflective however the black lettering on the front and large symbol on the back are reflective.

I just think most people have to force themselves to run as it is. That and people especially the younger crowd let vanity get in the way of safety, no one wants to look "uncool" wearing a reflective vest or belt these days.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Bookmark this Page!