Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Orlando
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 AM  

Edgewater, FL
Getting Tired of the Flat and the Crowds

I don't know. I grew up in mountains, so perhaps I'm a bit jaded. Here it seems, that I can only find mud holes and sand traps. I like a medium challenge trail since I don't like breaking things. And the fact that I can't find a job around here doesn't help either in the fun department.

The last off-road place I checked, was filled with rednecks and I felt very, very uncomfortable there.

I'm thinking about moving out of the area because of jobs mostly, but also because the "outdoor" experience simply is lacking. I love the ocean, the beach driving, but I abhor the regulations everywhere.

It seems to me, that cities are now making stuff up to get more money from us. And the more they successfully figure it out, the more they are going to lose. I'm tired of the government having their hand in my pocket, and LOOKING for infractions to fine.

Is it just me?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM  

Houston, TX
Move to Texas! Plenty of good wheelin' here, and government stays out of your face.

Florida is beautiful, we vacation there every couple of years, but seems like it would get dry after a while. Especially if you can't find a job. Once again, tons of jobs here.... I think in the last year we've added more private sector jobs than every other state combined.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM  

Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
I don't know. I grew up in mountains, so perhaps I'm a bit jaded. Here it seems, that I can only find mud holes and sand traps. I like a medium challenge trail since I don't like breaking things. And the fact that I can't find a job around here doesn't help either in the fun department.

The last off-road place I checked, was filled with rednecks and I felt very, very uncomfortable there.

I'm thinking about moving out of the area because of jobs mostly, but also because the "outdoor" experience simply is lacking. I love the ocean, the beach driving, but I abhor the regulations everywhere.

It seems to me, that cities are now making stuff up to get more money from us. And the more they successfully figure it out, the more they are going to lose. I'm tired of the government having their hand in my pocket, and LOOKING for infractions to fine.

Is it just me?
no not just you.

i'm from NY and can't wait to move back up north. it's mostly sand, but thats florida.

for off-roading check out Ocala, its the only place i go. they do have hills and stuff, few mud puddles when it rains.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 PM  
Goldwing Rider

Orlando, Florida
I am part of the move to the mountains crowd too. For me it's the Smokies, particularly North Georgia that I like.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM  

Lake Wales, Florida
The mudhole.

Down here 4 wheelin means muddin. It's not as much about can you do it as can you do it without getting stuck. That's the challenge. Sand or mud, you have to know how to drive in it or you'll be stuck. That's when that redneck friend is good to have. Someone has to pull you out because there may not be a solid anchor near by for a wench. If you like 4 whellin, drinkin beer, and huntin, redneck's can be real easy to get along with.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 AM  

Bradenton, Florida
I have spent the past 20 years in Florida, but long to move away. It is flat and hot. I prefer the mountains of Colorado or Montana. There are awesome trails, great hunting, fishing and the people tend to be nicer. Also, having 4 seasons is nice and not having to listen to the media go nuts when a hurricane forms 3000 miles away.

Now I just have to convince the spouse to leave the state she grew up in. LOL
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM  

Orlando, FL
I dont do much off roading but from what I hear there are some good spots to do it in the LAke Wales area. Im actually doing the Warrior Dash (Warrior Dash | Home) there in January.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:56 AM  

I lived in the mountains of western NC for a few years and loved it. Clay when wet is dangerously slippery though, and can mean you slide down a mountain.
We are actually now looking to move to eastern TN and buy some land.

and TX is a great place for jobs.
I've also heard Oklahoma has never gone over 7% unemployment
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM  

Orlando, Florida
You aren't enjoying the avoiding the other drivers oblivious to your existence on the road? That's why its nice to be on the sand!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 PM  

Sanford, Florida
I'm with you. Been here my whole 19 years and am also pretty tired of it. Really, it has only gotten worse too. More and more congested (at least where I live), more regulations for the little outdoor recreation we have. I need a change of scenery, and new hobbies too.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Orlando
Bookmark this Page!