Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 04:42 AM  

sharana, afghanistan
AR-15/M-4/M-16 Thread

I am just ordered my first M-4 ( a S&W M&P 15) through my unit as part of a "Unit Commemorative Pistol Program" (I also ordered the Colt 1911). They have custom engraving with Unit name and when we Deployed and few other things, other than that it is what you see in the link.

Anyway what are some must have add-ons for the M4? I already have a very bright Tact light with tail cap and pressure grip switch. Plan on adding Picatinny rails and a sling maybe a foward grip/bi-pod. What else is a must have? Looking at sights/optics/scopes.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM  

Rochester, New York
Here's my opinion, and it's worth every penny you paid for it.

A light on an AR isn't necessary. Lights are fine for close-combat firearms like handguns and shotguns, but AR's aren't suitable for home defense unless you live in the middle of nowhere and you don't need to worry about overpenetration.

I'd get a good sight -- EOTech or ACOG -- and a vertical foregrip. I'd probably add a two-stage trigger if it doesn't have one already. A sling is awfully convenient, too.

Anything else is probably just tacticool which increases weight and doesn't add a heck of a lot of functionality.

Good:

Not so good:

Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
You can't find those swiss army knives with a spoon any where. I looked.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
I always lose the tooth pick..

I have 2 consecutive ser# Stag 16" flat top AR's, one with an ACOG, full rail and forward grip and the other with a cheap Vortex Strikefire. I own a tac light but have zero use for it.

I have another that is a Bushy A1, full 20" gas system barrel cut down to 16" with iron sights with a full length plain Jane hand guard, it runs the best out of the 3.

I've had the most fun with my AR's with the .22 conversion kit, best bang for the buck, IMO..
Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 PM  

sharana, afghanistan
i have thought about the 22 conversion but wasnt sure. what are other personal opinions on the conversion?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Are you going to be using this tactically, or is this for personal use only?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 AM  

sharana, afghanistan
more so personal. i have a 12ga that i use for home defence and a pistol for self defence
Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr View Post
i have thought about the 22 conversion but wasnt sure. what are other personal opinions on the conversion?
They work fine, but the cost of .22 rifles is generally pretty low. Personally, I'd rather have the second rifle than a conversion kit.

If the primary purpose of your AR is to install holes in paper at a couple hundred yards, I'd focus on optics (no pun intended). Get a decent scope or at least a holosight.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 AM  

Anderson, SC
I'd recommend a vertical grip and a good scope.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:32 AM  

sharana, afghanistan
what are some scopes you recommend? size/power

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads