Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Oh yeah. I though it was cool when I hit a dime with a .22 long rifle years back, completely
shadowed by a long shot though.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Barrel life for 300 Win. Mag. is short. Lasts about +/- 1500 rounds
OMG! I shouldn't really be surprised but that's far lower than I'd have guessed.
A few years back when I had money coming in I saw a rifle I thought might be fun at 1000 yards.
two years later it's scoped and getting dusty. I'm still looking for a legal place to sight it in.

MRB, could you give me an honest idea of anything I might do to improve it?

Browning FN High-Power Safari Grade Cal. .338 Win. Mag.
Leupold 60335 4.5-14x50 VX-L Varmint Hunter's reticle Matte Scope
Finally put the 100th Round Through-img_m08.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-p1314.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-p315full.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-p1010353.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-73_1.jpg 

Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
OMG! I shouldn't really be surprised but that's far lower than I'd have guessed.
A few years back when I had money coming in I saw a rifle I thought might be fun at 1000 yards.
two years later it's scoped and getting dusty. I'm still looking for a legal place to sight it in.

Two simple but helpful mods are a bolt handle knob and a muzzle brake.
May if you wanted to get more hard core you could do an external mag mod,
A stock with a thumb hole for control, maybe a new recoil pad, and adjustable
cheek rest, and tighter rifled barrel. You can do alot.

And I think the easiest and safest way to sight in a scope is with a bore laser.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Oh and get a picatinny rail for you scope. That way it is easy to change from a long range
scope to a hunting/tactical scope..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Two simple but helpful mods are a bolt handle knob and a muzzle brake.
May if you wanted to get more hard core you could do an external mag mod,
A stock with a thumb hole for control, maybe a new recoil pad, and adjustable
cheek rest, and tighter rifled barrel. You can do alot.
Checked the bolt and the handle is part of the bolt. I'll check into an add-on mod.

Like you I one day aimed at & hit a shiny new penny wedged in the bark of an oak tree. It was on a bet and one of the 2 betting against me could not even see the penny I put a hole through from where I fired. Grew up with a .22 in my hands but since then it's been all handguns for me.

I want to do the thumb hole myself. Cheek rest & rifling can wait till I have a feel for the weapon. A friend in KY mentioned a new recoil system that was more than a fancy pad. I don't recall the name.
Your rail idea is a fine one because I recently began thinking about having the rifle earn it's keep. I'm butt deep in elk where I camp about an hour from home.

Quote:
external mag mod
??? Is that like porting the barrel?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Checked the bolt and the handle is part of the bolt. I'll check into an add-on mod.
Yeah there is a knob you can add on to make the area a little larger and easier
to work the bolt.

Here is you bolt hoe it is know, and the mod knob sitting next to it.

After installed

On the rifle

You can see how it make the bolt easier to work, especially for guys with monster hands like me.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:

Heres a couple of pics. of my target rifle.

Finally put the 100th Round Through-053.jpg

Finally put the 100th Round Through-web%5B1%5D.jpg

The main thing that you need to do when it comes to the long range game is make everything you do each time you shoot as exactly repeatable as possible form shot to shot. As far as the rifle goes, particularly of the 338 Win. Mag. caliber, is to first get the felt recoil reduced as much as possible.

A good timed thread on muzzel brake for this caliber is a must for long range repeatable accuracy. A proper timed muzzel brake should reduce felt recoil up to 50% or so. I use an Elite Iron brake. With the #9 contour Krieger Barrel on my target rifle I'm able to use a 5/8" X 24 TPI threaded brake. Most factory barrels will take a 9/16" threaded brake. I have a 9/16 timed brake on sporterized 03A3 which works quite well. Setting your rifle up for either size of these type of brakes will require a good gunsmith.

A good rifle butt pad can further reduce felt recoil up to 30% or so. I use a custom fit Pachmyer 1" thick Decel pad. The factory ones that come on most hunting rifles suck when it comes to getting that maximun felt recoil reduction.

Bedding the rifle is going to help alot as well. Again something you may want a good gunsmith to do.

I would also suggest that you have your reciever trued by a competent gunsmith.

A lighter trigger that has little to no creep or travel and breaks like glass IMO is a must. I use a Jewell trigger with just under 1-1/2 lbs. pull weight. For your rifle you will have to get a Timney trigger or equivilant as I dont believe that Jewell makes a trigger for the Browning.

For reaching out to 1000 yards and beyond a +20 moa picatinny rail mount will more than likely be required. Also a good set of solid scope rings such as the Badger Ordance offerings.

An adjustable cheek weld or cheek weld pad will also be a good idea to get that comfort required to make shots of repeatable accuracy.

I shoot as much as possible in prone position for the long shots using a Harris BRS model bipod. Shooting off a bipod is going to give you the most repeatable consistancy shot after shot.

Detachable magazine bottom metal is optional unless your going to get into practical precision competition which would make it necessary to even have a chance in a timed event.

Oh, also barrel heat is going to be an issue because as the barrel heats up after several rounds down the pipe the POI of the rifle is going to change up.
The larger diameter or "bull" barrels are made for this reason as heat has little to no effect on them. You'll have to let the barrel cool down after a few rounds with a factory barrel to keep from experienceing this.

Now for you... the shooter... the most improtant part of the equation. Can't recomend any books good or otherwise on techniques for long range shooting as I hooked up with a club and paid to go to long range shooting clinics and was mentored along by club member in techniques for this kind of shooting. Your definately going to need some knowledge for getting out there in the 1000 yard stuff.

One place I can tell you to look for good starter long range shooting technique information is on a forum called the Snipers Hide. They have quite an extensive series of instructional videos regarding long range precision shooting that have helped alot of folks get into this endevour.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:21 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Almost everything you said I said. lol
Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
You can see how it make the bolt easier to work, especially for guys with monster hands like me.
ah........thank you!

I kept trying to see an advantage (other than looks which are really fine) so mentioning hands helped. I have hands that almost fit in women's gloves so I can skip that gunsmith bill.

Nice guns.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Yeah I can barely grab a bolt with just my pinky finger without a mod like that. I need to get it done.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!