Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2011, 07:02 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
Yeah I can barely grab a bolt with just my pinky finger without a mod like that. I need to get it done.
Check into paw reduction surgery.....

Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Glad to meet you Chris. I used to see your handle all over 4chan before I learned it was a game and there were probably a few people using the name.

This is perfect if you think it adequate. It does look like something one chambers though?
Look at the all the pictures for it. It is a bore side that fits in the end of your barrel. No cambering required.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Probably not and I don't recomend it. Also with the Jewell trigger going down to 1 lb. is safe with it, however, you probably will not be able to go as light in trigger pull weight with other brands of triggers and be safe. The Jewell design trigger is unique to other triggers out there and as far as I know they only make them for Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's.
I have a Jewell trigger on my 700. It's pretty sweet. I heard a bunch of complaints about from when they 1st came out but they have really improved on it and made it very safe and reliable.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
at least 10 characters.

Quote:
Now heres what I really think and would reccomend.

That Browning rifle is a real nice hunting rifle you have there and before I would consider "butchering" it up to make it function properly for a long range shooter I would look into a different rifle to start this journey with.

The Browning came out of the pawn shop down the street. The son insisted it was a Mauser but I noted the Mauser action but it was on a Fabrique Nationale rifle so I didn't argue. I just went back & bought it from "sonny".

After my friend in KY saw it he discovered that ad I posted (bunch of pictures in one photo) in a Louisville rare guns business The gun pictured sold for $2K. I paid $950 for the FN

I added the Leupold for another grand so I'm holding a rather expensive gun I barely wish to shoot so your advice is falling on open ears.

I don't need a 1000 yard gun but I like the idea. I don't need an expensive hunting rifle but 30.06 in a rifle from that pawn shop might do several things I'm willing to look at.

Your ulcers are no joke and I hope you act on that soon. I would have my own back again if I embraced a hobby with low end guns selling for $2500.
Your points are well taken.

I would start with a rifle in .308 Winchester. I say this for several reasons.

Your going to need to get alot of practice and trigger time to become proficient at this and if your not into reloading it's going to cost you alot of $$$ buying ammunition for that .338 Win. Mag. Also, as far as I know, theres no factroy target ammunition made for this caliber. .308 Win. target ammunition is readily available most places in Federal, Black Hills, and several other brands at considerably less $$$ than 338 Win Mag hunting ammo. Reloading componets in this caliber are also more readily available and due to it's populairty less $$$ as well.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]I already discovered the costs are prohibitive but unlike my 9mm's I don't expect to need lots of practice. I don't need to beat scores or win anything, just shoot well & enjoy it. If a rifle is accurately sighted (iron sights) I'll be close to the money if not on it. Weapons are my friends.[/COLOR]

Havn't looked into it but I bet the barrel life with the .338 Win. Mag. will be short as well. Probably similar to the life of the 300 Win. Mag. I am currently shooting. Barrel life for .308 Win is pretty darn good at about 7500 rounds or so before you would want to replace the barrel.

Recoil with the .308 Win. is managable without using a muzzel brake. Also, muzzel brakes dramatically increase the muzzel blast noise which some don't like.

If you look around you'll usually find in a short time that theres quite a few good used 308 Win. target type rifles for the long range endevour already set up out there (usually less scope) for good prices. I seen them recently as low as + /- $2500.00 range which when you add up the costs of having an existing rifle done up is a good price.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]Would the scope add or limit the rifle's value if sold together? It's expensive glass but not necessarily what one usually looks for.[/COLOR]

Just my 2 cents here.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I use a Leupold 3-9x40 and my friend has a Nikon 4-12x50 I used once. Both are very nice scopes.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Look at the all the pictures for it. It is a bore side that fits in the end of your barrel. No cambering required.
Spiffy!

yeah, you sunk my battleship but you didn't sink them all.......
Finally put the 100th Round Through-026bb.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-022bb.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-florida902.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-029bb.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-gagraf.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-vangrd1l.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-monterey607.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-miantonomah510.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-miantonomah505.jpg 

Finally put the 100th Round Through-puritan110.jpg 

Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
.308 Win. gets to 1000 yards but just barely before or just at going subsonic in flight. Also, does lack severely at this range in ft. lbs. impact energy, however, still is good for target use.

I don't see how the scope could detract from rifles actual value come sell time but if the buyer doesn't want it take it off and keep the scope. I say a person can never have enough good glass.

Ulcers are in check for now but acid reflux flairs up from time to time. Pretty much the damage has been done to my gut. The Hypertension is my biggest concern but am able to keep it fairly close to being in safe range with meds and whatever I can get in relax time.

Now for the laser bore sighter and my thoughts.

I have one of these

SITELITE

which I use from time to time on my semi auto rifles like the M1A's. Works real good for these rifles with flash hiders or muzzel brakes as tang on sighter is extra long to get through brake or flash hider to actual barrel bore.

However, for bolt action rifles, I have and use a rifle vise and after leveling the scope while locked into the vise simple look down the bore of the rifle barrel with the bolt removed and line it up with a target about 25 or so feet away. Then I simply dial the elevation and windage into the scope until it lines up with the sight picture of the target down the barrel. Works good. All bore sighting does anyhow is get you close on paper and you have to finish dialing in your sights or scope the rest of the way to be dead on.

To be totally honest for the last few years I've used this bore sighter more to shine on the floor, walls, and furniture, moving the dot around for the cat to chase. Great fun and the cat doesn't seem to get tired with it. Just have to be careful not to shine in the cats eyes.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
.308 Win. gets to 1000 yards but just barely before or just at going subsonic in flight. Also, does lack severely at this range in ft. lbs. impact energy, however, still is good for target use.
Plus can drop an elk.

Quote:
I don't see how the scope could detract from rifles actual value come sell time but if the buyer doesn't want it take it off and keep the scope. I say a person can never have enough good glass.
I think separate sales is best. I have no use for the glass under 1000 yards but I still want to shoot it before selling it.

Quote:
Ulcers are in check for now but acid reflux flairs up from time to time. Pretty much the damage has been done to my gut. The Hypertension is my biggest concern but am able to keep it fairly close to being in safe range with meds and whatever I can get in relax time.
My mail contains a free deodorant sample from their "Adrenaline" series. I'm a junkie for the stuff and 70 hour weeks gives you a leg up in joining me.

It's a bodily RESERVE for emergencies, not a day to day fuel to run on. It's tough to give up too and may need rechanneling but in a massively downsized manner. It caught up to me at 50 so don't think it doesn't know your name. Just think about alternatives like delegation.

Quote:
However, for bolt action rifles, I have and use a rifle vise and after leveling the scope while locked into the vise simple look down the bore of the rifle barrel with the bolt removed and line it up with a target about 25 or so feet away. Then I simply dial the elevation and windage into the scope until it lines up with the sight picture of the target down the barrel. Works good. All bore sighting does anyhow is get you close on paper and you have to finish dialing in your sights or scope the rest of the way to be dead on.
Now for the laser bore sighter and my thoughts.

I have one of these

SITELITE

which I use from time to time on my semi auto rifles like the M1A's. Works real good for these rifles with flash hiders or muzzel brakes as tang on sighter is extra long to get through brake or flash hider to actual barrel bore.

To be totally honest for the last few years I've used this bore sighter more to shine on the floor, walls, and furniture, moving the dot around for the cat to chase. Great fun and the cat doesn't seem to get tired with it. Just have to be careful not to shine in the cats eyes.[/QUOTE]

I bought my first laser 25 years ago to play with cats. Now I have 3 cheapo flashlights with lasers added. Just hoping Home Depot gets more back in stock because the white LEDs wear out.

I need to dig up some of the local gunnuts just to try out a boresight.

My two workbenches have side vices I can pad. I've used padded vice faces before and it worked well. Will that suffice as a gun vise?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
I have all this except no health insurance so I can't get any of it in check.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
I have all this except no health insurance so I can't get any of it in check.
Cause' I own my own business my insurance for me is not that good. Won't tolerate HMO have my own PPO. Deductable is high and really only good for serious hospitol time health issues.

Do myself the best by adoopting and embracing some holistic methods along with some script meds. Always have been on the lean side of body build but have changed up my diet over the last several years, quit smoking, and reduced alochol intake about a year ago. More natural unprocessed foods and natural methods of vitiman intake. Just a couple or so things that have helped.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!