Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM  

Illinois
Good camping gear stores

I plan to take my family camping this summer and want to purchase some gear but not spend too much money. Anyone have a good store in mind?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM  

Deerwood, Minnesota
Cabelas, Grander Mountain, Reeds, and Sportsmans Warehouse.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM  

Illinois
Thanks

Thanksfor the info Krew400
Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM  

Littleton, Colorado
I'd suggest REI. They have very high quality stuff, but they come with a big price tag. But if you want something that will last, REI is a good place to look. No I'm not promoting them, just be sure to check them out .
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I concur with REI, but I guess it all depends on what kind of gear the OP is looking for.
Camping seems to have different connotations to different people.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 AM  

SW PA
For a huge selection and great - perhaps the best- prices, check out Campmor. You can order their catalog there too. Bare bones black and white catalog, unlike the 'big' guys, but that probably helps hold down prices.

Boy Scout troops are not exactly fountains of money. This is where we get a lot of gear for our troop because it is the most affordable.

If you definitely want to go to a retail store to buy, you might consider one I didn't see on the list above - Bass Pro if you are lucky enough to have one nearby. I've found them to be the best cross between Cabela's and Gander Mountain - Cabela's selection with Gander Mountain pricing. At least the last time I was there. Unfortunately we don't have one close out here.

Whatever you end up doing to get gear, don't let anything keep you from taking the family out and enjoying the great outdoors!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM  

Mountain Equipment Co-op or mec. Great stuff!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM  

Rochester, New York
"Camping" encompasses a pretty wide range. What is your planned itinerary? If it's a weekend of tent-camping in a state campsite, then that's one thing. If it's a week hiking in the wilderness with no vehicle and only what you can carry on your back, that's entirely different.

There are a bunch of sources online as well as brick-and-mortar stores where you can buy some really good stuff. But let's narrow it down to what it is you want first before we advise you.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I agree we'd need some more info. How long you're planning on going camping for, what kind of location, how many people, etc.

Personally, I shop around to a bunch of different places. Different stores have better prices on different items. I use sports authority for some of the niche-type things, mainly because they have the best on-island selection for me. Surprisingly, I picked up my tent from K-Mart; they were having a sale on an 11-person Northwest Territory that I just couldn't say no to. We've been using that for a few months (we go camping once every few weeks), and it's held up really well - it's just a massive, three-room doom tent.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
How do you fit 11 people and the Doom tent on that Ducati?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!