Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Large Lake Kayak

Looking to get a kayak for fishing on a semi-large Llke and looking for suggestions on what size I should go with.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM  

Titusville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Looking to get a kayak for fishing on a semi-large Llke and looking for suggestions on what size I should go with.
What is your budget? Something along the lines of the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 or 140 would be great. These come with an "angler" version for fishing but is not really necessary. With the Slidetrax mounting system, you can mount a Scotty rod holder to the side without drilling any holes, and move it around to wherever you feel like. Then you could modify a milk crate to hold your extra rods/net in the tankwell.

I also recently looked at the FeelFree Moken kayaks. I really liked these yaks but they were just too heavy for me to want to hoist on the Xterra. The 12' model has a wheel built into the keel for dragging it around. Though, I found the larger one (13'6" ?) to be a nicer yak. These come with built in rod holders. The bow has a large cover and can actually be used to hold the fish that you catch with an ice bag.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Why a kayak and not a canoe?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Not sure on price range yet, no clue what they range. Want to make sure I buy right the first time and the cheap don't end up expensive.

I want to use on local rivers and a canoe is not applicable for that.

Feezmen thanks for all the information. What are your thoughts on Ocean Kayak and also the need for a rudder.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:40 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Been doing a lot of research and the Tarpon 120 and 140 keep coming up. Most be a good choice.

Seems like Hobie is another quality option as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM  

Titusville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Not sure on price range yet, no clue what they range. Want to make sure I buy right the first time and the cheap don't end up expensive.

I want to use on local rivers and a canoe is not applicable for that.

Feezmen thanks for all the information. What are your thoughts on Ocean Kayak and also the need for a rudder.
I've not researched Ocean Kayaks so I can't comment on those. Likewise, with the rudder. I believe that a rudder makes a big difference in windy conditions. At 10', my yaks are not as affected by wind.

I'm a novice and really only know the few brands that I researched, which are carried by my local shop.

The largest piece of advice I can give is to paddle the model you want before you buy it. Also, be very careful if you buy a used kayak. While I was in the store buying mine, a young couple came in with a kayak they bought on craigslist for cheap. After they bought it they realized that it had a crack in it that was in a difficult area to repair.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We spent a summer at a kayak and canoe club up here on Lake St. Louis. Talk about fun. The wind and waves sometimes kick up there and a rudder really helps keep you headed in the right direction.

I wouldn't go out on the ocean without one. There is nothing like paddling a nice ocean kayak, but it makes no sense to buy one for fishing.

I'd still recommend a canoe, or an el cheapo kayak you can beat to heck like these:
Large Lake Kayak-kayak.jpg 

Large Lake Kayak-kayak-.jpg 

Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 AM  

Saco, Maine
Use a Sea Kayak I perfer 18 to 20 ft without rudders,

Just try out a bunch of different ones and you will find one that you like.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:19 PM  

Check out this web site, read the reviews.paddling.net

Great site.

Depending on my bouns this year Im looking at getting a new kayak the Wilderness Systems Commander 120 is one thats on my short list.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!