Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM  

Doylestown, PA
Pistol experience needed

I'm about to purchase a 9mm semi auto handgun. Comparing the Ruger sr9 with the Beretta PX storm. Any thoughts ?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 PM  

I personally dislike both of your choices. One is built cheap, the other is too heavy. If you were considering Glock or Sig Sauer, I'd talk your ear off!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Probably the best deals out there are on Police trade in Beretta 92's. Proven & true, very inexpensive for the degree of quality and I use the same Mags in my Kel-Tec sub.

Just wanted to add I've owned two Rugers and rid myself of both in short order. When it might mean your life you want a Swiss watch sort of quality. Ruger is more like a cheaper Timex.
Pistol experience needed-aaa14.jpg 

Pistol experience needed-92fs-vertec_50.jpg 

Pistol experience needed-keltecsub2000_j.jpg 

Old 04-17-2011, 06:31 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Try out a glock, they rock.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 PM  
Traveler

Did a couple Rugers. Not impressed at all. CZ82 is not a bad choice for cheap. That's......Cheap!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Ruger isn't a bad brand but if you intend the pistol for your safety buy a quality piece. Cops are notorious for not putting in range time so their tradeins are like the proverbial little old ladie's car only driven on Sundays.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
What are you buying it for? For the ranges, personal defense, etc? 9mm doesn't have much of a kick. It's a big like lobbing a baseball over any type of distance.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
9mm doesn't have much of a kick. It's a big like lobbing a baseball over any type of distance.

I use rifles for those occasions.

Seriously, cops will tell you most shootings are from 10 to 15 feet from muzzle to person. If you want results like the Tucson nut (all close shots), large mags and reliability go with A Sig or Beretta in 9MM. Glocks are good too (if you're an Austrian box collector)

I've heard all the .45 versus 9mm arguments. So did the US Military which bought a million Berettas in 9mm.

A personal defense weapon is not intended for mountain goats on far peaks.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM  

Kent, Ohio
My brother has a PX4 Storm - same as the PX, but in .40 instead of 9mm. It shoots OK, but I'm not impressed. The rotating barrel seems like a needless complication; they didn't use it on the compact model of that gun.

Glocks are simple, ugly, reliable, utilitarian weapons with aftermarket support second only to the 1911. Holster selection, sights, trigger tuning, grips - all readily available at most gun shops. Field strips easily; completely disassembles with just a punch. They're omnivorous - they'll feed and shoot just about anything you can stuff in a magazine, as if they were designed specifically for that ammunition.

If you can't tell, I like Glocks. :-)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I use rifles for those occasions.

Seriously, cops will tell you most shootings are from 10 to 15 feet from muzzle to person. If you want results like the Tucson nut (all close shots), large mags and reliability go with A Sig or Beretta in 9MM. Glocks are good too (if you're an Austrian box collector)

I've heard all the .45 versus 9mm arguments. So did the US Military which bought a million Berettas in 9mm.

A personal defense weapon is not intended for mountain goats on far peaks.
I completely agree. Which is why I asked "what will you be using it for?"

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!