Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM  
100% Gun Nut

Evansville, IN
Target shooter questions

What is your favorite gun to shoot at the range?

Who has joined a club or organization to have a place to shoot?

What calibers does your range allow?

Do you feel there are enough ranges ion your area?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
1. Anyone that goes BANG when I jerk the bang switch.

2. I was part of a club but I tried to help the club out and Then got ran out. So I am now joining a better club.

3. Anything from 10 cal up to 50bmg and 50 muzzle loader.

4. The choice of ranges in my are SUCKS.

I do have Quantico that has a 300 and 1000 yard ranges along with 25 and 50 yard pistol. the 300 yard range is limited to 308 (7.62x51mm) or smaller. A 30-06 is too big. The 1000 yard allows up to 50bmg.

Have a few indoor ranges but to many tactical elite fighter operators there for me. The WMA has a range but it is only open during dear season. The next closest place the public can shoot is A gun store and you have to buy their ammo and OMG you need to mortgage your house to buy it. A box of 100 Remington Target 22lr $35. A box of Eley Match that is $15 on line if $40 there that is 50 rounds of 22lr. Black Hills Blue box 223 is the same price as Federal GMM 223.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:07 AM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post

I enjoy shooting them all, but i like my .22LR cause you can shoot all day and not break the bank.

Not I. I don't know where there are any near me.

I shoot on my dad's property, but as big as i've got...

See 2. If there's some around here, i don't know where they are...
Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
My AR is my favorite. The 870 is nice when I need to vent some frustrations. My buddy's Rem 700 is great for those reach-out-and-touch-something moments. And the .22 is great for all-day plinking without breaking the bank.

Quote:
I did, but one place was way too expensive and too strict, and another place didn't get their facilities in order for over a year. I now use private land. No hassles.

Quote:
Good question. I know 5.56, 7.62x39, .308 and other common rifle calibers are all fine. I'm not sure about less-common calibers like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, 50BMG, etc. Those might be questionable.

Indoors, they permit only rounds that cannot penetrate the backstop.

Quote:
There are plenty of ranges around me (Rochester, New York area) but WAY too little public land to shoot on. Gun ranges usually are bench-rest deals, which is fine if you only want to sight in a rifle or pattern a shotgun. But using reactive targets or moving with the firearm are usually forbidden.

There is one range I go to where we have tactical shotgun matches which are a heck of a lot of fun. You get to move quick, pie a room, work at very different ranges (5 yards to almost 50 yards), reload on the move, shoot at different heights, etc.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM  
Will Travel By Jeep

Indianapolis, IN
I have a police range about five minutes away that is open on most weekends (except during the winter as it's outdoor). Real friendly volunteers staff it, however it's usually a wait to get in.

When I go I usually shoot my baby Glock (9mm). Although I enjoy pulling out a .22 more and more with ammo costs. The range allows all handgun rounds, shotguns and rim fire rifles.

I actually go more often to a friend's hunting property (although it's a much longer drive). Of course we can shoot everything there, including to blow stuff up like large containers of condiments, shaving cream, cans of beans, vegetables, and watermelons.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM  
100% Gun Nut

Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otahyoni View Post
I enjoy shooting them all, but i like my .22LR cause you can shoot all day and not break the bank.

Not I. I don't know where there are any near me.

I shoot on my dad's property, but as big as i've got...

See 2. If there's some around here, i don't know where they are...
If I or any of my family had the land I would be shooting there, but we don't so I need to use the local ranges.
I didn't know where there were any public ranges, so I used this link.
http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Ran...03Y3M&Option=R
And look there is one in Terre Haute, IN I know you have a private place to shoot, but sometimes being out with other shooters is fun too.
One thing I like is talking to other shooters at the range and looking at there guns and of course they look over my guns. We give each other tips on things like the best places to buy ammo, guns, and talk hunting sometimes.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM  
100% Gun Nut

Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I have a police range about five minutes away that is open on most weekends (except during the winter as it's outdoor). Real friendly volunteers staff it, however it's usually a wait to get in.

When I go I usually shoot my baby Glock (9mm). Although I enjoy pulling out a .22 more and more with ammo costs. The range allows all handgun rounds, shotguns and rim fire rifles.

I actually go more often to a friend's hunting property (although it's a much longer drive). Of course we can shoot everything there, including to blow stuff up like large containers of condiments, shaving cream, cans of beans, vegetables, and watermelons.

That looks like a lot of fun, what was that red splash a watermelon.
I hope you are helping your buddy to clean up after shooting, buddys and ranges like that are hard to find.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM  
100% Gun Nut

Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
My AR is my favorite. The 870 is nice when I need to vent some frustrations. My buddy's Rem 700 is great for those reach-out-and-touch-something moments. And the .22 is great for all-day plinking without breaking the bank.
Ether my ARs or AKs (or both) go to the range every time I go. When I got into AKs I found the 5.45x39 ammo is cheap, and is a lot more fun than my .22s so not breaking the bank.
This ammo is so cheap I had to buy an AR in 5.45x39 lots of fun and accurate.

Quote:
I did, but one place was way too expensive and too strict, and another place didn't get their facilities in order for over a year. I now use private land. No hassles.
Some can be really strict, almost to the point of being too much hassle to shoot. Like, only shoot paper targets, (geesh) keep all guns pointed downrange (I was putting it in the case) or keep all actions and bolts open when not on firing line (try this with an AK) I bump fired my AK one time at a DNR range, before I knew it there was an armed ranger with one hand on my shoulder and the other one on his gun, asking if my gun was fullauto.
I real quickly told him NO! And I told him that he could check if he wanted to, & that would break it down for him.

Quote:
Good question. I know 5.56, 7.62x39, .308 and other common rifle calibers are all fine. I'm not sure about less-common calibers like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, 50BMG, etc. Those might be questionable.

Indoors, they permit only rounds that cannot penetrate the backstop.
I have a few outdoor ranges that I go to, most are laid back kind of, and they will let me shoot any thing from .17 up to but not including .50BMG.

The only local indoor range (that I know of) only allows pistol rounds.

Quote:
There are plenty of ranges around me (Rochester, New York area) but WAY too little public land to shoot on. Gun ranges usually are bench-rest deals, which is fine if you only want to sight in a rifle or pattern a shotgun. But using reactive targets or moving with the firearm are usually forbidden.

There is one range I go to where we have tactical shotgun matches which are a heck of a lot of fun. You get to move quick, pie a room, work at very different ranges (5 yards to almost 50 yards), reload on the move, shoot at different heights, etc.
There are a few good ranges within driving range, but I like one it is a shotgun club range that has a rifle range that almost no one uses ???
When a few buddies & I can get back to the range we can just about do what we wish.
They do have a few rules to follow, but not enough to be a problem.
I found frozen pumpkins are a blast to shoot, I was laughing so hard I had to stop shooting for just a little bit.
We can do a tactical type run shooting paper plates & balloons lot of fun.
I have tried a new game of launching practice grenades on to a large target spray painted on the grass, just to see who can get there grenade closest to the center.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM  

West Virginia
GLock model 19 / 9MM.

I joined a local gun club.

All calibers are allowed.

I wish there were more, we are limited being in a rural area.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
We just started shooting skeet out at my place..Here is a video of me,my 2 sons and 2 Grandsons.

Skeet Shooting

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads