Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 PM  

Lebanon, PA
Any Hurst/Olds owners

Are there any 69 Hurst/Olds owners?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 AM  

Stroudsburg, Pa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpannebakker View Post
Are there any 69 Hurst/Olds owners?
HI--

I don't own a '69 Hurst/ Olds, but I did manage to hold onto (and have mothballed) a '70 W31 Olds Cutlass.
In my early teenage years I also had two '69 Olds 442s- some of the nicest build cars ever produced were these cars, for sure!
One more kid to get through college, and she's coming back out!!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 AM  

Lebanon, PA
Hi,
Like you I had a 2, 69 442, 1 68 H/O which I bought out of a junkyard & what I have now is my a 69 H/O that I am restoring.
Thanks for responding!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:10 AM  

Lebanon, PA
Forgot to mention, the W31's were & are great cars.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM  

Stroudsburg, Pa.
Well, All those years (up to '72) were great cars with lots of oats! I also had a '72 Cutlass S convert. that all the 442 options, but didn't say it on the side. Even for a low compression engine, that 455 would get up and gooooooooo!
And yes, I could actually watch the gas gauge drop, LOL
Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM  

Lebanon, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenuts View Post
Well, All those years (up to '72) were great cars with lots of oats! I also had a '72 Cutlass S convert. that all the 442 options, but didn't say it on the side. Even for a low compression engine, that 455 would get up and gooooooooo!
And yes, I could actually watch the gas gauge drop, LOL
A good friend had a 71 or 72 Cutlass S as well. He had it to the point where it had to idle at 1800. This thing just loped. Previous to that he had a 66 442, 400 with 4speed. One night he & I were out running around so he drove to our high school, backed up to the main doors put it into 1st left the clutch fly. Aftermath, 2 very long m60 black marks to the main drive. Shortly after that his 10 bolt limited slip blew apart when he was showing off crossing a major highway.
Did you have any work done to any of your engines?
Proud to hear you served in the Air Force. I was/am a Marine. I distroyed tanks. (0351). My father retired from the Air Force.
Thank you for serving!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 AM  

Stroudsburg, Pa.
When I was in the Service, my room mate and I both did allot of engine building and he did allot of drag racing, so we were always messing with some kind of engine, LOL. (we built three long blocks in our barracks room for his '70 Plymouth GTX). Also we had a hot rod club on base, and a drag strip on Sundays on one of the old runways. It was like 7th Heaven for a motorhead!!
I played more with small block Chevys for a V8 Vega I had, but have the original W31 block bored .030 over and the heads have been redone. I still have to pic out a cam (the W31 was a real lopey cam also), clutch and bell housing, headers and intake, plus all the trimmins' and will get 'er back to roadworthy.
It will be a few years, but I always enjoyed that kind of thing.
My three sons are into the car scene too. They have there regular run-around cars, but one has a '72 Cutlass, one has a '72 Buick 'Sun Coupe' he's working on and they youngest is going to mechanics school now and has a '65 Tempest he's working on. I tried to teach them how to work on cars so they could IF they wanted to, plus these cars will appreciate in value, and they will have something to cherish when they are older.

Thanks for serving also!! Freedom is far from free!!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM  

Lebanon, PA
I was going to say, that you guys had a drag strip ready to run on. Thad what is nice about airbases, there are usually an open & ready to run on.
When inspectiontime came, whT did you do with the engine(s) in your room? That's great to have been buddies up with another headgear.
Another smart thing was getting your sons into cars. Your correct in saying that the cars your boys own will be worth something.
One thing great about an Olds engine, they can be bored out to almost 100 over. They had so much steel between the cylinders & water jackets.
Are you running a stock intake or did you gou with something a bit better? Headers, diameter of exhaust &
what sort of mufflers?
I was looking at the 2.5" exhaust on my H/O & I thought to myself, way too small for a 455 that is ment for running.
As for cams, Mondello has some nice grinds but I hear bad stories on communication with client & shipping is pretty bad. Have you ever bought anything from him? I hear a lot of good about Dick Miller.
Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM  

Stroudsburg, Pa.
For racing all the time, the 2 1/2" would be fine, but remember the 455 is a LOW rpm/ high torque engine compared to most big blocks. You'll be lucky if you ever hit 4500 rpm, so a smaller exhaust should do nicely. My Hooker Headers were 2" on my street car, and the racer I bought for parts were 2 1/2 and the last pipe on each side went around the frame and back in due to limited engine compartment size.
I would also recommend doing a bunch of research on the cam end, as the 455's piston design will only allow so much lift and duration with factory pistons.
Although since my kids I have been away from the drag strip, go to a national event that may be close to you (like at Maple Grove) and talk with any of the guys running Oldsmobiles and see what they got away with in the stock or Super Stock class. Even the W30 cam had a long duration which gives yo that beautiful lopey sound.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 PM  

Lebanon, PA
My H/O turns an easy 6500rpm. I won't go over that. Agree with the pistons, here I really don't care to keep them in or the rods. Lack of strength the rods are & the bottom end sure could use a cradle. But the cost of a cradle from Mondello is beyond belief. I think Miller is less costly.
Back to the exhaust. It's not just getting the exhaust out but the heat.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Bookmark this Page!