Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM  

Puppy food is higher in calories and has more protein that adult food, so the little ones can pack on unneeded weight pretty quickly unless they are extremely active. It is certainly worth asking your local vet.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Feeding a puppy puppy food usually depends in the actual food you are feeding them, the breed of dog, and how the dog is growing.

Puppy food has a special blend that encourages growth and what not that sometimes if a dog is growing fast not everything grows right or at the same rate and problems arise. That is my basic understanding as to why it is bad to keep them on it.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick91981 View Post
Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this. Most people say 12-18 months for what I am feeding him(which is also what the breeder recommended). The bag of food says for up to 2 years.

I will consult my vet about it and do some research into it, I appreciate the heads up.
never trust the bag, they just want you to keep buying the more expensive puppy food
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
Feeding a puppy puppy food usually depends in the actual food you are feeding them, the breed of dog, and how the dog is growing.

Puppy food has a special blend that encourages growth and what not that sometimes if a dog is growing fast not everything grows right or at the same rate and problems arise. That is my basic understanding as to why it is bad to keep them on it.
thats the way it was explained to me
Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Just remember the key with anything is portion, you have to keep their weight down. It is better for a dog to be underweight than over weight.

I good rule if you don't weigh your dog or know how much they are suppose to be is you should be able to feel their ribs (no fat there) but not see them (skin isn't sunken in).
Old 12-13-2010, 06:16 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
i know it doesnt work with all dgs, but i have never measure fed mine. he gets free choice. there isnt an oz. of fat on him anywhere.....
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM  

Carmel, NY
I do measure his food. He gets 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the evening. My vet did mention the whole feel the ribs but not see them thing and by that, he is at a good weight.

With all this discussion of puppy vs adult food, I have been looking around and have discovered Eukanuba is not all that high grade of a food and have been thinking of changing it. Does anyone have any opinions on Taste of the Wild food? It is a grain free formula which seems to be the recommended option.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 AM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
I used to work in the veterinary field and have been a rep for Hills. I've worked for the best and the absolute WORST vets in the business. What you buy at the vet or feed store is precisely why they were pushing for your dog to get more cheese or lamb and rice diet - fads to make the owner feel good. IT'S ALL OVER-PRICED JUNK. Those that claim to be organic and that corn is not their first ingredient...corn is usually the main ingredient, along with whatever falls in the vat that day. There really is no QC and the label will only list what is supposed to be in the kibble. Pet food is hardly fresh while being kept in a warehouse for at least 6 months, I don't care what brand. Iams and Eukanuba are a couple of the worst you can buy. They used to be good back in the day, but we started seeing more and more food allergies and poor nutrition.

And to further destroy my credibility, my weiner dogs will only eat Puppy Chow. They snort at anything else. They also burn calories, even in their adult years. We try not to feed table scraps as it encourages bad behavior, but treats every now and then don't hurt. They get a sensible diet of rice and burger or chicken when they are sick or have dentals.

I don't know how much faith I have in these "Organic/Natural Pet Food" stores that seem to have popped up overnight either.

Feed them what you think is best (within reason) - they are your responsibility.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 PM  

Columbia, SC
I feed my dog Taste of the Wild and so far she has being doing great on it. It's lower in protein which is good since she is almost 5yrs old. She doesn't have a lot of "waste" during the day.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM  

hanover, pennsylvania
have always feed Purina dog chow to all my dogs plus what they take from the trash
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM  

Carmel, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmudgirl View Post
I feed my dog Taste of the Wild and so far she has being doing great on it. It's lower in protein which is good since she is almost 5yrs old. She doesn't have a lot of "waste" during the day.
Thanks jeepmudgirl! I think I will buy a bag and see how he does on it. Trying to decide which flavor is best for him but I don't think it will be an issue...He's a Lab, I haven't encountered anything he won't eat!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!