Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM  

Redmond, Oregon
I have a 6 year old boxer, she is allergic to corn, wheat, yeast, barley, etc. as well as enviromental allergies. I feed her a raw food diet. She eats mostly chicken neck but I do feed her the occasional big meaty beef bones. She thrives on a raw diet. An entirely organic raw diet too. She eats better than me. And she loves buffalo! I get the chicken necks from the local butcher and from a local mom/pop dog store.
My boxer is very healthy and a retired show dog. She has grown up on a raw diet. And the bones clean her teeth. And her allergies clear up nicely on it.
I swear on this diet for my dog. I say do the research and feed your dog whats best. For me, a raw diet for my boxer is best. I do what ever I can to get her the proper nutrition. My vet agrees with my boxers diet.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM  

Wayne, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver165 View Post
I've always fed my dogs Purina products. We've fed our boys (Twin Miniature Pinschers) puppy chow when they were babies and now Beneful Healthy Weight. I have never had an issue. No problems at the vet. They seem pretty damn happy to me.
My cats always lived long healthy lives with few vet trips on Purina, so now I feed my dogs that, and supplement with eggs, hamburger meat and brown rice on ocassion. One eats raw carrots too. Just wish I could control her shedding and have considered going more towards fresh home made foods and less to commercial dog chow. Two dogs, one pitbull, one Jack Russell Pitbull Mix (she's the shedder).

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM  

Lebanon, Tn
We feed our dogs Old Roy from walmart moist, and dry with a daily vitamin supplement. I have gave this to my dogs for 20 years and never had any issues it is $15 to $17 for a 44lb bag, and $3.67 for 12 pouches of the moist. The vitamins are $5.97 for 100tbs and keep their teeth,hair,etc in very good condition. Our oldest dog (8 years) still bounces around like a puppy.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:21 PM  

Mifflinburg, Pa
My husband works for a local meat packing facility. They process mostly beef. Any meat that falls on the floor or is other wise "contaminated" for human consumption is sold to a dog food company along with the fat scraps, so somewhere there clearly must be a dog food company using "real" meat. My dogs eat Dog Chow. They are healthy, although the Beagle is a little on the fat side. He needs more exercise. My vet told me my Jug is the healthiest she has ever seen. He loves to eat Twizzlers! My mom has had many dogs live a very, very long life and they were all feed dry dog food.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM  

Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
what do you guys feed?

i have a 3 yr old 80 lbs lab. he gets nutro large breeed adult. i never have to wash him, his teeth are clean and his coat shines and is realy soft. if i give him anything else he craps every where and sheds really bad. it's crazy how dogs react to dog food.

experiences?

I feed my dogs "Taste of the Wild". At $45 for 30lb's it's on the lower end of the grain-free dog foods as far as cost, but it's still very high quality.

The RAW diet is probably ideal health-wise, but it's just a little too much trouble and messy for me when there are so many high quality dog foods nowadays. Many generations of healthy dogs were raised on crap dog foods, so I think with the advancements we have today that I can skip the RAW diet.

I think my young man, Kuno, is pretty healthy:

Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM  

That is a very good looking, noble K-9!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM  

West Virginia
We have a near 12 year old female mixed breed, rescued her from the humane society and she's been on Beneful dry dog food since the first year. Our vet recommended it as after trying several different dry and canned dog foods she just would'nt eat well or threw it up. After trying it, never a problem since .
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
I just switched to Innova for my babies, I was at the store and that was the only one out of like 30 that had good stuff. $60 for 30lbs it better be good.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:17 AM  

hanover, pennsylvania
we got a local dog food factory around here i think it's dad's bin feeding that to the husky just stopped eatting dog chow for some reason
he also likes bacon
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM  

Ashdown, Arkansas
I feed Blue Buffalo wilderness formula 10% with the balance of the diet being raw or home cooked grains and vegise and over ripe, dog safe fruits (That's 15% of the diet, the rest is raw meat, game varieties when possible but, also home raised chickens, pheasant, turkey and pork, making sure they get bone and organs as well)

I have a commercial quality meat grinder so, do grind it all fine for the puppy, a bit coarser for the two small dogs and whole for the large adults. They all do wonderfully on it.

As for why any kibble or canned? because if I travel with them, which I do, packing raw for a month is not practical and, getting safe, organic meat may not be an option. IMO BB Wilderness is a good commercial alternative to raw when I need it so, I feed some to be sure they will always eat it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.