Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
That's the way a lot of self serve stands work up here. I can't speak for the one's in Cali.
Never hurts to check little places like that out though. Some of the people running them are real characters

I often stop at a few such places on my way to my country shack. One place for corn, another for tomatos, cukes and beans, and when the time is right there's usually another guy selling pickled wild garlic that is an outstanding treat. And of course my favorite asparagus farm.
my 40,000 pets-dsc01424.jpg 

my 40,000 pets-dsc00770.jpg 

Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Now back to honey bees.....

Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
How did you get started? Purchase a starter hive from someone local?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM  

mn
the ,,, just a thing I do , I just started doing it , one of the dumb things I do . guess I never thought about it . some times I get doing something like that and and don't even know I'm doing it ..
as for starting with bees , you can make the hive box , stand , cover , inner cover , if you have a table saw . I have to buy mine , unless I can talk the grand kids or some one to do most of the work as I can't do much with wood ( allergy to wood ) most buy the frames parts and put hem together , as they take a lot of time to make at home .. then in the spring , you ether buy a 2 or 3 pound package , with a caged queen , or a 3 or 4 or 5 frame nuc , with a lawing queen . my self I like a 3 pound pakage , some do ship them by mail , or you buy were you have to go pick them up .. this year were I get my packages the cost is $79.00 for a 3 pound . when you get your nuc or package , then you feed 1to 1 syrup ( 1 part sugar to one part water )til the flow starts .. the flow is when things blossom .. then in the fall if the hive weighs less then 150 ( Im in the north MN ) in the south it can be less . then you feed syrup again but you feed 2 to 1 (2 sugar to 1 water )
Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
How many bees does a 3 lb. package include? I'm really kind of liking this concept.

What's the care involved? Is it something I could set up at my country place which I only visit every few weeks during the summer, or does it take daily care?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM  

mn
5000 to a pound so 3 pounds around 15000, but by mid summer there should bee around 40000 to 60000 .. its best if you can peek around every 7 to 10 days .
when you first hive the package you need to feed for 2 or 3 weeks .and will take around around a gal of syrup a day at first , then when the flow starts then you do't feed any more .. but you have to watch and put another super on when they fill 7 frames or they will swarm
i will pm you a site so you can read up and ask more keepers , for a start google bush farms , he has a lot of good info , he is in NE . you can check and see if there is a bee club in your are ,, or see if theres a beekeep around you, I have found that bee keeps are the most eager to talk and share .. they more then likely let you help with a hive or two so you can see if it is something you want to be doing .
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think I may just stop by the place with the colored hives this summer and talk to that fellow!
Thanks for the link too. Cheers!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 AM  

mn
your welcome , and again welcome to the addiction .. enjoy
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't honey have no expiration date?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
No kidding? Next time, I'm going to stop and get a few jars, and hopefully shake the man's hand who implemented this honor system!
I do the same when I stop to discover the stand is unattended.

Hive collapse syndrome had me nervous but I'd read they're finally making some progress. It's sort of odd that I live in a huge valley of nurseries yet only rarely see hives.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.