Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 AM  

Tacoma, WA
Raw food

Any raw dog food diet or BARF feeders here? I discovered the raw diet on the internet and learned how to feed on the internet, a nice lady in an completely unrelated forum helped me get through the first three months. Now I want to give back. And I love talking about my dog.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
ive heard of it, i just cant justify spending that kind of money. my dog is very healthy on the kibble he eats (nutro large breed). did you notice a substantial difference from high end dry food?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 PM  

Tacoma, WA
I always tell people, if you have no problems with your dog and what they eat then raw is probably not for you. If you do then at least consider it.

The cost is probably on par or less than "high quality" commercial dog food. I spend less than $50 a month. Less when I spend the time to find things on sale.

I came to raw due to a perceived grain allergy. Bailey was scratching the hair off her sides when she was less than a year old. I was told that a lot of dogs have allergies to grains, specifically corn, and that led me to research. I found raw and never looked back.

The first thing I noticed, withing a few weeks, was that the gunk in her ears had cleared up. Soon her scratching ended and her weight changed. It took a while to get her weight under control, but that was due to the portions I was feeding her. Soon the hair on her sides grew back and the rest of her fur became soft, like a puppy, and shiny and beautiful. Then we got those raw fed teeth, strong and white and healthy. No dog breath, no dog odor, and slightly different behavior. I can't really attribute her behavior to the diet, as she has aged at the same time, but I could be true. She had better energy now, chews less, and can eat just about anything without upsetting her tummy.

I don't think raw is for everyone, it takes work and knowledge and time. Dogs are like people, they react to things differently, they are all unique. If you have no reason to examine or change your dogs diet then don't. I you do, then please educate yourself first.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:30 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
do you add any supplements?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 PM  

Tacoma, WA
Nope. I did in the beginning, but now she seems to be perfectly healthy. I haven't given her a supplement in more than a year and a half. My feeding has changed and grown over time.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 PM  

I have 2 small dogs and I give them dry food as well as raw. Just to have a balance. Dogs rule
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM  

Redmond, Oregon
My boxer is on a raw meat diet. She loves it. She has allot of allergies so it's hard to fnd a kibble that works.

Preparing her food takes a bit longer but I have no problem with it. If your interested in a raw diet I would do the research and see if it's something you want to do.

Good info on raw diets (for all breeds)

Tienlung Boxers, Reg'd - Feeding A Species Appropriate Raw Diet
BARFing Boxers by Bree - A Bones and Raw Food Site
Rawboxers.com

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!