Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2010, 05:34 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Vet Bills!

Christmas morning our 11 year old golden/lab mix couldn't hold down her breakfast. By this morning she could barely make it down the stairs, so
we decided not to wait for Monday and take her to the emergency vet.
Turns out she has a dose of pancreatitus which can be fatal if not caught quickly, and she was severely dehydrated.

She's staying overnight and on an IV, the estimated cost is over $1,400 but what are you going to do, break all the family's hearts? Maybe she only has 3-4 good years left but this is the first time she's ever been sick.
Vet Bills!-pal2010.jpg 

Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 PM  
Will Travel By Jeep

Indianapolis, IN
Wow, I know that would be a tough call, but I admit we'd do it as well. Beautiful dog and I'm sure she's apart of the family.

How is she doing? I hope very well!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM  

What a great looking dog! I'd also like to know the outcome. Do you have to provide medicine the rest of its life? My police dog had an underactive pancreas, and I had to administer 22 pills everyday into his food for the rest of his life. Thank God my PD picked up the cost of the meds!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Our larger dog bit our smaller dog in the face last week. She got him in the eye and his eye swelled shut. $200 for some antibiotic shots and pain killers plus visit.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I finally removed the silly lampshade to keep her from licking her shaved foreleg where the IV was. Tomorrow she goes back to normal food again, and 2 of the 3 prescriptions are done. The last one I have to give her another 4 days then she should be fine. They warned that at her age she cannot handle human food so we have gotten a locking trash can so that even if she opens the cupboard door and tips it over she can't get to anything. Ended up costing $1,100. Worth it to see her happy and healthy again.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 PM  

Silverdale, WA
A few years ago we were given a dog. Within a few days we noticed a bump on her and took her to the vet. It turned out to be serious and even after an emergency surgery that cost over a grand, the dog passed on.

The previous owner did offer to pay some of the costs, but we didn't quite think that was right either, so we paid the bill.

I'm pretty soft when it comes to pets. If my current dog became sick, I'd do whatever it took to foot the bill as well. You thread and the other one actually make me think that it's a good idea to check on the status of our pet insurance.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM  

This is exactly why I started a new thread on pet insurance. I'm also a softy when it comes to animals.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
What a great looking dog! I'd also like to know the outcome. Do you have to provide medicine the rest of its life? My police dog had an underactive pancreas, and I had to administer 22 pills everyday into his food for the rest of his life. Thank God my PD picked up the cost of the meds!
Our K9 association covers big bills like that for our members and their dogs so the Handler doesn't have to. Most departments aren't budgeted for those expenses.

Dogs become part of the family, it is hard to say no. They are some people's kids so I understand.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
You are looking right at an even bigger sucker right here.

My wife had a cat before we got together. She passed on the first valintine's day. At that time I was working as a VET TECH in the Army and she would come and help in our post shelter. She fell in love with this FOF (Fat Orange Feline) and named him Mr. Chubbs cause he had chubby cheeks. Well I adopted him and he was to be a vday present. Now I told her that someone that worked there had adopted him while I was out to lunch. She was mad. Then her cat took a real turn for the worse and had to be put down at 12:01 Feb 14, 2001 It was 12:02 when I told her it was me that had adopted Mr. Chubbs for her. He was neutered chipped up to date on his shots and ready to come home when you wanted him.

Later I adopted a gray and white cat I named M.C. (My Cat). Then we ended up with a orange and white female Sweat Pea.

Anyways Chubbs started losing weight and started peeing a lot. So I got worried and we took him to our vet. They felt his tummy and felt something that shouldn't be there. First thought is Tumor nope. He had bladder stones.

There were two options. Surgery to remove the stones and special food for the rest of his life or euthanasia. We opted for surgery as he was only 6 or 7 years old at the time. $2879 later we had a healthy cat. I would do it for any of my 5 furry kids.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM  

Dallas, TX
Your baby has more expression in the eyes than most. I would try to help save the life of this one if I were you. Beautiful baby, btw. Most of mine are getting older too. We found one really youngster at a garage sale fading fast from starvation and brought him home. He's now over a yr old and thriving, happy, playing well with my others. All are neutered. All have better healthcare than I. I found a great family policy man, David, dmartin at petfirst dot com was really good to us. He'll probably be as nice to you cause he really loves animals. These dogs are my family and my friends.

I pray your lovey is going to be ok.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!