Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM  
Traveler

What Do You Think?

There is a family in our neighborhood that lets a little chihauhau roam out in the street. This has gone on for several years.

I have stopped several times in the past few months and asked the owners to keep the dog out of the street. One day I talked to the neighbors and they said they would talk to the owners.

I had a young dog that had lived out in the country and never really got used to the city life. One day as I was taking him for a walk I stopped to tie my shoe and he bolted--instantly killed by a large SUV in front of my house. I will never get over that.

I have explained to this family what happened to my dog and how I would feel if I hit their dog. I almost hit him yesterday.

I think I will contact the county's department of Animal Control tomorrow. If they don't care enough to be responsible for their pet then something needs to be done. The street is well-traveled and dog is very small ---it isn't fair to him or to the drivers to continue to allow him to wander in the street.

I will give my name if necessary. If they are unhappy--then I really don't care. I watched my dog die and it is a very sad memory--the guilt will always be with me. I hope these people do care about their pet. You just can't live in an urban environment and not take the appropriate precautions for a pet.

What do others say?

tia

Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 PM  

I agree with you 100%. They don't deserve to have that dog.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Yup call Animal Control and let them handle it. They should not have that pup.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 PM  
fustrated genius

I ran over a dog when I had first got my license as a kid. I felt horrible, I went to the door of the house and knocked. I asked if the dog was theirs, they said yes. I was really feeling like crap and the girl said, "oh no, If I would have known this, I wouldn't have fed him this morning" I have never forgotten that and never will. They might be like your neighbor. Just because you and I care, or most people, they obviously don't or they wouldn't let the little dog out.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I ran over a dog when I had first got my license as a kid. I felt horrible, I went to the door of the house and knocked. I asked if the dog was theirs, they said yes. I was really feeling like crap and the girl said, "oh no, If I would have known this, I wouldn't have fed him this morning" I have never forgotten that and never will. They might be like your neighbor. Just because you and I care, or most people, they obviously don't or they wouldn't let the little dog out.
I called Animal Control and they came out to talk to them. The county has a leash law and aside from the fact that their dog might get killed--it is a violation of this ordinance.

I feel better---I just can't be the person to kill their dog. My neighbors would have reported me long ago---and my dog would have been dead long ago. On our end of the street their is more traffic it seems--the street is a cut through when traffic problems get bad on the nearby main roads. There are 2 hills and it is easy to go a little bit too fast--people walk in the street with dogs and baby strollers--I usually try to drive carefully enough to stop in a split second---but maybe I couldn't. Rabbits and cats dash across the street and scare me enough at the thought of hitting them. The squirrels -well they are generally very quick.

So I did all that I could do and I hope the dog will be safer.

spanx.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM  
fustrated genius

Good for you, it's a horrible feeling, better to wake their sorry snoozing behinds up than to put yourself through that or be a witness of it. People like that shouldn't have dogs.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
I've reported people for not keeping their dogs on a leash after multiple attempts to reason with them.

I told one college student who had a beefy boxer off its leash, "My dog isn't dog friendly, would you mind putting your dog on its leash while we're both out here?" He had the AUDACITY to say "I suggest you get a friendlier dog then!" And he kept walking towards us. Needless to say, my dog tried to eat his boxer's face off. All the while he looked surprised. IDIOT.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I just got myself a 12 week old Doberman. I will keep her on a leash.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 PM  
fustrated genius

I seldom leash my dog when walking. (there's not much out here though)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I train my dog to stay by my side when we are outside. But I will put a leash on her when
we have to go somewhere and I will take it off when I get where I am going because she
is very good about staying by my side.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!