Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2010, 01:15 AM  

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hunting in Pennsylvania.

pennsylvania's got some of the best hunting in the country, who's with me?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 PM  

Warminster, PA
I don't have much experience hunting outside of PA, but I can say that PA's hunting has declined greatly over the last 20 years. Sadly there are too few opportunities to hunt private land and public land is either over crowded, or located too far away to hunt regularly. I really miss the old days of hunting plentiful pheasant on public and private land. I started hunting at the tail end of those days and remember getting your limit on private land hunting cock birds only.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM  

Slatington, Pennsylvania
I've only ever hunted in PA, but I love it, mostly hunted in the Slatington area and also near Buckingham.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM  

Spring City, PA
To those that take their deer to processors how much are you paying, we charge $105 to skin, then cut into steaks, roasts, Backstraps cut, Filets cut out, and Burger all freezer wrapped. We were $95 last year and did around 350 deer. This year our numbers are way off. I am just trying to see if it is our $10 increase or if guys just arent getting out to hunt. Let me know what you think. (We are located about 40 mins outside of Philly)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM  

West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Y'all can't hang with me. Real men hunt 2G

Gotta defend yourself against the bucks up there

...no, not really. It was a ghost town up there this year, though I did see more deer this year than last year.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 PM  

x2 on PAs game decline. Deer hunting and upstate turkey hunting kind of rule the state. Small game might as well be non existing anymore. Its a shame there are no more natural pheasants. Even just to see them around would be pretty cool.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 AM  

Newtown, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep274 View Post
Sadly there are too few opportunities to hunt private land and public land is either over crowded, or located too far away to hunt regularly.
This hits the nail right on the head regarding Southeastern PA.

The only halfway decent public land is Nockamixon, which is ridiculously overcrowded (not to mention unsafe) at many key times during the season. Since getting permission to hunt on private land around Bucks County is almost unheard of, many "hunters" instead sneak onto land they have no idea who owns, grossly ignore posted signs or nearby neighborhoods, and give anti-hunters around here even more ammunition to attack the good hunters of this state.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 AM  

Slatington, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyUnion2010 View Post
This hits the nail right on the head regarding Southeastern PA.

The only halfway decent public land is Nockamixon, which is ridiculously overcrowded (not to mention unsafe) at many key times during the season. Since getting permission to hunt on private land around Bucks County is almost unheard of, many "hunters" instead sneak onto land they have no idea who owns, grossly ignore posted signs or nearby neighborhoods, and give anti-hunters around here even more ammunition to attack the good hunters of this state.
Spoken so well, that's exactly the way it is in the northern end of Lehigh County.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM  

Philly, PA
PhillUnion agreed! Used to hunt PA, now way too many jackholes nowadays driving their jackwagons all over SGL's and it's become unsafe! Someday if the opportunity arises to hunt private land I might get back into it but for right now not happening.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:35 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep274 View Post
I don't have much experience hunting outside of PA, but I can say that PA's hunting has declined greatly over the last 20 years. Sadly there are too few opportunities to hunt private land and public land is either over crowded, or located too far away to hunt regularly. I really miss the old days of hunting plentiful pheasant on public and private land. I started hunting at the tail end of those days and remember getting your limit on private land hunting cock birds only.
This describes Bucks County to a tee, I miss those days of hunting - I haven't actually been out in over 8 years, its sad to see.

My grandparents used to own a farm that we would hunt on, neighboring farms sold to developers and soon those newly added developments started to complain about the hunting and claimed they felt "unsafe"

We hunted the land with great respect for our neighbors and would never put anyone in jeopardy... my family later sold the farm and now there isn't any hunting land unless you head up north.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Bookmark this Page!