Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Thanks for the educational thread. I'm fascinated by the idea but I also know a bit about light pollution. Most places I've lived were too near cities to really see stars let alone take their pictures.

Once while working in Milwaukee my waitresses dragged me to a party well out in the woods. 8 years in a city had erased my memory of real darkness. Once there with the headlights switched off I literally couldn't see my own hand.
Growing up in the country and camping in Canada demonstrated the differences and how much I miss not seeing the stars every night.
when weather allows I want to try some camping areas at the top of Santiam Pass in the Cascades. If that goes well I might give astrophotography a shot.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 AM  

Chicago
I envy you for living so close to the mountains as not only is there less light pollution but the higher up you go the less atmosphere you need to look through which means steadier images through your scope.
I try to go camping at least once a season to a dark site within driving distance of Chicago although they are getting harder and harder to come by. Usually centered around August 12th which is the peek of the Perseid Meteor Shower.One of the most watched meteor showers of the year not only because of the number of meteors that can be seen but because it occurs during the summer months which makes it more enjoyable.
Good luck on your trip!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM  

Sisters, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
when weather allows I want to try some camping areas at the top of Santiam Pass in the Cascades. If that goes well I might give astrophotography a shot.
Big Lake at the Hoodoo exit is a great spot. The campsites have great views of Mt. Washington, but make sure to bring bug spray, the mosquitos are a PITA. Coldwater Cove on Clear Lake near the Santiam Junction is a much more pleasant experience, but you lose a lot of altitude.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 PM  

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Can you hook up your digital SLR to a normal telescope and take decent photos?
You can get an adapter to hold your digital camera to the eyepiece and take pictures of the moon. Check with reputable astronomy dealers like Anacortes or Orion. If you don't have a heavy duty telescope mount, you may want to use the lightest digital camera you have that has a thread adapter on the bottom.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM  

St Louis, MO
Great thread and photos. I have dabbled a little in astrophotography, but just can't take the plunge ($$$$$) to do it right. Just to many hobbies splitting the money pie...

This is a photo I took New Years Eve 2008 of the moon and Venus.

GAW
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM  

Chicago
^ Nice! I know what you mean I have several interests myself.It keeps you from getting bored when you mix it up. Although it spreads the money and time a little thin as well so it's kind of a trade off.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads