Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 AM  

Carmel, NY
Loon Lake - Adirondacks NY

This is one of my better shots of the area. There is a small area of the lake called Butternut Flats that has very little boat traffic due to shallowness and sunken tree hazzards. I have this show blown up and framed in my dining room.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Nice picture. That's a little further Northwest of where my profile pic is from. Pharaoh Lake.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM  

Carmel, NY
Thanks. I had never heard of Pharaoh before but I see it is near Schroon which I am familiar with. There is a pizza place on Schroon called the Narrows. Only decent pizza in the area. I haven't been since they changed ownership a few years ago though.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick91981 View Post
Thanks. I had never heard of Pharaoh before but I see it is near Schroon which I am familiar with. There is a pizza place on Schroon called the Narrows. Only decent pizza in the area. I haven't been since they changed ownership a few years ago though.
Never had any pizza while up there, but Schroon is a nice area. Getting to Pharaoh is a nice "little" hike and really a great spot for camping and fishing for lake trout. Some buddies and I from college have been going up in the spring and again in the fall for the last couple years now and I really recommend people to check it out.

You do need to pack in everything you'll need if staying overnight but it's worth it IMO.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:03 PM  

Carmel, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Never had any pizza while up there, but Schroon is a nice area. Getting to Pharaoh is a nice "little" hike and really a great spot for camping and fishing for lake trout. Some buddies and I from college have been going up in the spring and again in the fall for the last couple years now and I really recommend people to check it out.

You do need to pack in everything you'll need if staying overnight but it's worth it IMO.

Most likely wouldn't do an overnight there as it is only about 20 mins from my cabin at Loon Lake. But would certainly be interested in the fishing. Fishing on Loon has been horrible the last few years. On Pharaoh is there shore access or would a boat be necessary? It sounds like a nice place and definitely would like to know more about it if you don't mind sharing. It would make a nice day trip from Loon next summer.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM  

New Paltz, New York
The fishing is pretty fair from shore in the early spring. We hit Pharaoh the end of April and this year also in early Oct. Fishing from shore seems better in the spring IMO. The water is still cold and the lakers are close to shore then.

You will need to hike into the lake since there's only foottrails. There are several ways to hike in. Either from Putnam Pond campsite, Crane Pond Rd. or off Pharaoh Rd. We come in from Pharaoh Rd. It's about a 5 1/2mile hike from that direction.

There are a couple canoes and rowboats that people have left on the lake. None are chained up or lic. From what we have gathered people have just left them there for others to use. No paddles or vest, just the boats, some have been there for a couple years now and some leak pretty bad. Some people make some crude paddles for them and have tried patching the leakers. Since we go so early and late in the season we have had the place to ourselves and pick of the best boats. Most times we have found them all left at the spillway of the lake from where we hike in from Pharaoh Rd. I hike in a couple pieces of thin plywood that I cut into the shape of a paddle head and we make some handles when we get on the lake. We use a canoe and paddle to one of the leantos and fish from the lake with it. We then return it to the spillway when we leave, make sure it's far enough away from the water upside down and leave the paddles for the next person who may like to use it.

Sadily every year the paddles I made are always gone when I come back. Not sure what happens to them

Only fish I have caught in the lake have been lake trout and a couple sunnies. But the sunnies were in June and from shore. If you go in summer you'll have to use a canoe or one of the rowboats. Once the water gets warm the lakers all go deep in the lake.

I recommend checking it out. Nice spot.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 AM  

Carmel, NY
Thanks for the info Joe. It sounds like something I will definitely need to look into.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:21 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Thanks for the info Joe. It sounds like something I will definitely need to look into.
Glad to hear it. If all goes as me and my buddies plan we will be there around the 1st weekend of next May. If you're up that way drop in for a cold one. You'll most likely find us either at leanto 6 or 2
Old 12-08-2010, 04:56 PM  

Carmel, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Glad to hear it. If all goes as me and my buddies plan we will be there around the 1st weekend of next May. If you're up that way drop in for a cold one. You'll most likely find us either at leanto 6 or 2

Not sure when I will be up that way, but I will keep that in mind. I go up usually 3 or 4 times a year. The cabin is open for the season usually April through Oct so May is a possibility. Typically I'm there in the end of May for Memorial Day.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:56 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Not sure when I will be up that way, but I will keep that in mind. I go up usually 3 or 4 times a year. The cabin is open for the season usually April through Oct so May is a possibility. Typically I'm there in the end of May for Memorial Day.
Sounds good. As of right now there's a 99% chance we will be up there the last weekend in April. We'll keep some fish and a cold you for ya!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Bookmark this Page!