Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 AM  

Surrey, British Columbia
For a lot of distance-related shooting, a higher megapixel rating is nice to have so that you can crop at 100% and retain a good sized photo. Of course, cropping at 100% necessitates that your sensor must be of high quality.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
One of the reasons I went with a Sony Alpha series camera and will stick to them. Any "A" mount lens that auto-focuses will have the benefit of having the IS built into the body. I have 25 year old lenses I used for my Minolta Maxxum film bodies that are great lenses, and now have the added advantage of the in body IS system on my Sony's.
^^ This ^^
Some of those old Minolta lenses can be found really cheap around here and they are still in mint condition.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:13 AM  

Anderson, SC
Nikon d5000 is a very nice starter camera...combined with a 300mm+ lens
Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
AF-S VR II NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED from Nikon

Remember, particularly with 35mm the lens IS the camera. Nikkor lenses are of the highest quality, IMO. A $150 Nikormat body and good used high-speed fixed lens is the direction I would be looking at for a manual 35mm.

You will pay for it, lots more for it, but go with a high-speed lens, not less than a f2.8. I have little experience with the D series Nikons but if I'm mistaken you can use a used older fixed lens on them. You may find a fixed 300mm 2.8 for around $800. Mount that up to a D90 and a good monopod and you'll have a decent set up for less than $2K.

Nikon NID9070300K - D90 - Nikon SLR - 12.3 Megapixel Digital Camera W/ Nikon 70-300mm VR Lens

Here's a cheap way out but I'm sure the lens is slow and budget quality.

Fast fixed manual lenses are the way to go.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
My d5000 with the 55-300mm zoom lens is plenty fast for sports shots.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:45 PM  

Austin, Texas
Both Nikon and Canon entry level DSLRs are great for long range photography, but I would suggest you play with them before purchase. Most camera shops will let you evaluate in store. I have a Canon T2i, because of the low cost, and compatibility with my existing Canon lens.

A good tripod (I prefer Bogan personally) is a must, and consider a good head mount as well. Consider if you plan to travel, because lightweight tripods tend to cost a lot more, but really make a difference in portability. A good tripod head will give you a lot of flexibility to ensure you get the shot you want without a lot of fuss. You might even want to sandbag the tripod to ensure no movement during the shot.

Don't cheap out on the lens. Especially for long range photography, the quality of the glass, smooth focus and even image stabilization will go a long way to preventing frustration. Turn off autofocus features when shooting long. I have ruined a lot of shots when a bird or something flies into focus and sends the camera into a new focus.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:19 PM  

Seattle, WA
If long range is what you are looking for don't forget about the 2x crop factor of 4/3 cameras.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
The forecasted water spouts got me thinking about long range photography again.. I live on the lake and often see the large ore ships, and other interesting things but they are usually a mile or two away and way out of range of my outdated 5 megapixel Nikon.

So what kind of entry level setup would you recommend?
I would prefer digital but certainly wouldn't rule out 35mm.

I'm guessing a tri-pod, telephoto lens and camera, anything else?
The tri-pod will assure there is no movement/blur in your photos.....and, of course, I'm not in the price range of cameras that are guarenteed to do the job you're contemplating, but I am still using a Canon Powershot S2 IS which has a 12 x optical zoom and 4 x digital zoom which is an overall 48 x zoom and 5.0 mega pixels. I use it for photographing everything and even record the special music in church. Does all I need it for right now, but would like to have the other type cameras.....which definitely take beautiful photos. The fawn in my avatar is one of my photos.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Digital Camera - Specs @ Yahoo! Shopping

Since I purchased mine, my granddaughter has a new, to her, Canon Powershot S10 IS.......but, is now 20 x optical zoom and 4 x digital which would make it an 80 x zoom and hers is now 10 mega pixels.

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Digital Camera - Specs @ Yahoo! Shopping

While looking for these specs., I find that the latest addition to this class is a Canon Powershot S30 IS, 14.1 mega pixels, etc.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot SX30 IS

Here's a good link to get more information......

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS Rebel T2i EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit
Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
My d5000 with the 55-300mm zoom lens is plenty fast for sports shots.

I wish I had more nice shots like that of my kids!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Photos of children in action are a great photo opportunity.....here's my good friend's grandson I took while attending a basketball game with them.
Photography questions-ryan-shooting-jump-shot-.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads