Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Beer Brewing

Anyone know of a bar/restaurant that you can brew your own beer? My brother went to a place in Cleveland and his beer is amazing. I would love to try and find a place in the Burgh.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 PM  

Pittsburgh
How does that work? Do you stop back in 2 or 3 weeks and they have it bottled?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM  

Pittsburgh, PA
I'm imagining (strangely) something like build-a-bear (or those paint it yourself pottery places more like) only with brew kettles and all the ingredients.

Come to think of it, that sounds like a really interesting concept.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM  

pittsburgh, pa
yes! Now, i read about it but i haven't been there yet to verify it. Brew your own beer at Houghs in Greenfield.
Hough's Bar & Restaurant, Greenfield
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 AM  
bja

Butler, Pa
I'm not sure what they charge at these brew your own places, but you could probably buy the basic equipment and brew it at home for not much more money.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
It is a great concept. They assist you in brewing and getting the wort into a fermentor, then you come back in a few weeks to bottle or keg your fresh homebrew.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:42 AM  
bja

Butler, Pa
There are several homebrew stores aroud Pittsburgh. You may want to call them and ask if they offer this. If they don't they may be able to recommend a place.

I've been brewing at home for about 3 years. You can invest a little money or a whole lot, but either way it's a very gratifying hobby.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 AM  

Pittsburgh
check out Three Rivers Underground Brewing (T.R.U.B.). Once a year they host a 'big brew' where the rent out a local cove/picnic shelter and make ~100 gallons of beer. then they divide that up amongst themselves to take home. you would need to provide a fermenting bucket (~$15) and some other minor costs, but this way you wouldn't have to buy a kettle or a lot of other physical things you need to actually get into homebrewing.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Nice... BUILD-A-BEER! Not sure how that would work!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the info. I just joined T.R.U.B. Can't wait for the next brew. Things are always more fun in a group.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.