Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Kayaking, whitewater rafting

We are lucky to have access to some pretty good whitewater in the area. Anything from easy tubbing, to class 3-4 rapids. Anybody else like to hit the water?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 PM  

Harrisburg, Pa
I'm from Pittsburgh originally and now live near Harrisburg, thats the thing I miss the most you could hit the water from everywhere. We used to go to a place off the Yough called Hazelbakers (not sure of the spelling) they would rent or haul your kayak up river for half or full day trips.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM  

I love to fish, so my kayak isn't designed for whitewater. It's a Sit-On-Top Hobie Quest and 13' long. Me or the yak wouldn't last too long on class 3 or 4 rapids. haha.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a mostly calm water float/fishing trip?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM  

Vandergrift, Pa
The Kiskiminetas and Conemaugh rivers are pretty calm but i'm not to sure how far your interested in traveling. There is some faster spots but also a good bit of nice calm waters that you can just float around all day.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM  

Get up north of I-80 on the Allegheny...calmer waters and good fishing.

Also, don't let the Slippery Rock Creek scare you...when waters are calm, you can do some good floats there as well.

I'm down in the DC area now (used to live just north of Pittsburgh in New Castle) and I miss the colder waters...there is, however, good smallie fishing down here on the Shenandoah, Rappahannock, and Potomac.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:21 PM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkincer View Post
I love to fish, so my kayak isn't designed for whitewater. It's a Sit-On-Top Hobie Quest and 13' long. Me or the yak wouldn't last too long on class 3 or 4 rapids. haha.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a mostly calm water float/fishing trip?
Like geek said Hazelbakers on the yough is a good run. And the middle yough from confluance to ohiopyle isnt to bad, good trout fishing.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM  

Up near oil city is pretty good for floating/fishing
Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM  

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
My wife has been into kayaking since before I met her. I only recently pulled the trigger on a boat that I found used at GauleyFest this past year. Still ha, ve yet to try it out but I'm hoping to get into a class (basic techniques and rolling I guess) and then head down to Confluence a few times this spring / summer.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Bookmark this Page!