Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 PM  

moving to pittsburgh - want suburb life

My family and I love living in the burbs. We love having an acre plus lot with good schools. Where can we find that near Pitt? I keep reading about neighborhoods in Pitt, but can you give me some names of the suburbs outside of the city? My husband would be working in Pitt. We have 3 small children.
Thanks.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:32 PM  

pittsburgh, pa
Plum Borough, have your choice of new homes, old homes, neighorhoods, or acres. School district isn't bad.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 AM  

York, PA
Mount Lebanon is nice, have some in-laws there... nice homes, nice neighborhoods... but I think a 1-acre lot there will be excessively expensive.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:14 PM  

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Mt. Lebanon or Upper St. Clair have great schools, but can be expensive. Penn Hills should be less expensive & closer? Quaker Valley is also a good choice
Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Peters Township in McMurray/ Venetia area South of the city. Good schools, and your choice of new, old, developments or country type living. Taxes can be high, but you are out of Allegheny County (no alcohol tax)

Close to shopping and still close enough to the city. Sorta right in the middle of country life and city life.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 PM  

I hear Cranberry area in south Butler County is nice. Some of the people I work with live there.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 PM  

Burbs

Is there an area with more synagogues than others outside of Pittsb?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM  

SW PA
Adams Township, Middlesex, Valencia.
You want a 'burb outside Allegheny county because of taxes. Mars offers an excellent school, low taxes, high academic achievement, small classes, etc, yet in 20-25 minutes you can be in downtown. Still can get plenty of 1+ acre lots.
Me, I live here now, but as soon as my kids graduate, I'm heading back to the country where I can have 50 acres and no city nearby
Old 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM  

I'm with you, Tinkerin. I'd like 50 acres away from it all. But I don't want to be around all of the drilling for gas in the Marcellus shale. That 50 acres may have to be pretty far from Pittsburgh!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM  

Plum is pretty good if you want to stay in Allegheny County and be able to get 1+ acre with good school district but be close to Parkway into Pittsburgh. You'll need to be on the outlaying suburbs/counties if you want acreage and good schools without paying top $.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Bookmark this Page!