CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Texas (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/texas/)
-   -   Camping in Texas State Parks (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/texas/camping-texas-state-parks-10303/)

Verio 02-26-2011 08:52 PM

Camping in Texas State Parks
 
The family and I are looking to go camping this March in one of the State Parks. I'm looking at Big Bend and Garner. Is there any suggestions? Strictly tent camping. Will have a 6 year old and a 1 1/2 year old.

Austin 02-28-2011 03:23 PM

I've spent some time out in Garners, I like it a lot. Plenty to do, I just wouldn't go for more than a few days.

I also know last year they started denying entrance, my inlaws had a cabin reservation though, so they got in.

Verio 02-28-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 88943)
I've spent some time out in Garners, I like it a lot. Plenty to do, I just wouldn't go for more than a few days.

I also know last year they started denying entrance, my inlaws had a cabin reservation though, so they got in.

Thanks... I was told to stay away during major holidays such as the 4th of July and Labor Day since these are usually pre-booked 6 months in advance.

AustinTexasXJ 02-28-2011 08:12 PM

Lost Maples in vanderpool (pop. 26 I think haha) is on of my FAVORITE parks ever. so beautiful in the fall but I bet spring is nice too.

TPWD: Lost Maples State Natural Area

also camping and hiking in the Fort Davis mountains.

Austin 03-01-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verio (Post 88991)
Thanks... I was told to stay away during major holidays such as the 4th of July and Labor Day since these are usually pre-booked 6 months in advance.

I went on the Fourth five years ago, I would never do that again, since then there attendance has gone up, so I can only imagine it's a nightmare now.

Still, it's nice.

Verio 03-03-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 89364)
I went on the Fourth five years ago, I would never do that again, since then there attendance has gone up, so I can only imagine it's a nightmare now.

Still, it's nice.

We decided on the end of March to go...

Austin 03-04-2011 09:05 AM

I hope this beautiful weather holds out for you then.

GeoBigJon 03-28-2011 07:07 AM

I know it's a late post to this thread since you will be going soon if not gone already. Balmorhea SP or Fort Davis SP are great choices. Fort Davis is a great area to camp, get some mountains and cooler temps along with short drives to Alpine, Balmorhea, and McDonalds Observatory. Balmorhea has a great spring fed pool to enjoy year round, a nice cooling dip in the summer.

AustinTexasXJ 03-28-2011 11:54 PM

I have been all over the Fort Davis mountains, beautiful land, and my grandpa helped build one of the telescopes at the McDonald Observatory when he was in the Navy.

Austin 03-31-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ (Post 95637)
I have been all over the Fort Davis mountains, beautiful land, and my grandpa helped build one of the telescopes at the McDonald Observatory when he was in the Navy.

Is it still in use? I have a friend whose parents spend a lot of time out there.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.