CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   San Marcos (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-marcos/)
-   -   Lawyers in San Marcos (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-marcos/lawyers-san-marcos-16948/)

Austin 06-02-2011 09:53 AM

Lawyers in San Marcos

My former apartment leasing agency has decided to keep my security deposit despite my asking for it.

I need to lawyer up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Musicinabottle 06-02-2011 10:26 AM

No idea, but I hope you put the fear in thos guys!

Austin 06-02-2011 03:51 PM

Me too, we'll see how it goes.

Everyone I've talked to says "Oh they do that to everyone.". Why did they just put up with it? If they had started the good fight 30 years ago I wouldn't have to be squabbling over this.

It's nuts.

Apartment Management companies are making millions keeping our deposits, although in Texas at least it's illegal. We need to tell them enough is enough.

Musicinabottle 06-02-2011 06:14 PM

It all starts when someone picks up the fight.

Austin 06-03-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicinabottle (Post 108601)
It all starts when someone picks up the fight.

Looks like that will be me.

jmmorgan82 06-03-2011 12:27 PM

I know Brian Baker has helped out a few of my friends with DWI cases and all have had excellent results. I'm not sure if he handles cases such as yours, but it wouldn't hurt to look him up and give him a call.

Austin 06-03-2011 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

I just got off the phone with the leasing agent. At our last meeting I presented them with a list of laws they were breaking by retaining my deposit.

I got the entirety of it back.

I will be posting the set of laws I used to determine my eligibility to receive my safety deposit in full in the near future.

jmmorgan82 06-03-2011 11:16 PM

Good job dude

Austin 06-04-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmorgan82 (Post 108935)
Good job dude

Thank you, I was quite pleased. It still seems like there's a greater issue here.

They attempted to retain over $300. If they do that to everyone and say there are 200 units in the complex that's $60,000. If the property management agency has more than one complex, picking an arbitrary number, let's say 3 that $180,000 a year in ill gained profit. This has been going on for years, I mean decades.

It seems like there's a million dollar industry in stealing people's money.

I don't know what to do, cash the check and be through with it, or run it up the flag pole and see who else is tired of it.

The law is on the renter's side, if more people knew that I think it would help.

Everyone I've talked to has said "That's the way complexes are.", I don't accept that.

Britney 06-16-2011 10:34 AM

I hear Guzman is no bueno!