CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Traveling (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/traveling/)
-   -   Amtrak railroad travel. (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/traveling/amtrak-railroad-travel-18673/)

HiHood 07-18-2011 10:29 AM

Amtrak railroad travel.

I'm thinking about taking a railtrip because I haven't ever before. I thought I would start off on a small trip first so I'm not stuck with paid reservations I can't refund in case I hate it like flying, (:scary:,that's a whole different story). Anybody travel by rail before? pros?/cons?

ChrisNukemYJ 07-18-2011 10:35 AM

No. I here from both sides that is just like flying; ether you love it or hate it.
I have heard a lot that it can be very boring unless you love sight seeing.

blucher 07-18-2011 02:32 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Just one trip (1000 miles) years ago but the tracks are said to be worse since then. It was 45 mph and each new track was a minor collision event in "64" so I'd be wary of a trip of any length. Mine was 1000 miles of ka-thunka, ka-thunka, ka-thunka, ka-thunka, ka-thunka, ..........................

Try a ride up to Portland or Seattle. The route has some fantastic scenery in the Cascades.

Musicinabottle 07-18-2011 02:37 PM

It's mostly all welded rail now Blucher.

blucher 07-18-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

in case I hate it like flying, (,that's a whole different story)
Flying used to be easy. Drink on the way to the airport bar. Allow the bartender to do a pre-flight preparation and wobble onboard politely. Now I hear a wobble can make you a train lover.

blucher 07-18-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicinabottle (Post 117282)
It's mostly all welded rail now Blucher.

Really? Conrail discovered the welder? Amazing! :2thumbup:

Britney 07-18-2011 03:00 PM

I was discussing this with my boyfriend just yesterday on our way home from Houston. Neither of us have ever done it and we think it'd be a cool way to venture out and see some random sightings.

The only train I have ever been on was a cog rail to the top of Pike's Peak. I was neat. I'd love to actually GO somewhere though. We were thinking heading West since he has never been any further west than Texas. He is from the most north eastern part of the US - Madawaska, ME. I'd love to show him California, Arizona and New Mexico. Nevada is a bad idea! haha

blucher 07-18-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Nevada is a bad idea! haha
Wut? No Elvises?

Britney 07-18-2011 03:28 PM

My has a problem with gambling. A BIG one. So we'd... I'D... like to avoid that state completely.

I just got done looking at the Amtrak site. Are there any other passenger train companies worth checking out? We sure could use a vacation. Our daughter is going to Maine for a month to see his parents, so we'd like to do something nice for ourselves for once! :] Amtrak has nice vacation packages. I just don't get how the train thing works....

BLUCHER! help me? lol

HiHood 07-18-2011 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blucher (Post 117278)
Try a ride up to Portland or Seattle. The route has some fantastic scenery in the Cascades.

TOO COLD!!! and WET!!!

HiHood 07-18-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucher (Post 117283)
Flying used to be easy. Drink on the way to the airport bar. Allow the bartender to do a pre-flight preparation and wobble onboard politely. Now I hear a wobble can make you a train lover.

I flew to Austin, TX once. We hit some "typical bumps in the road, it's springtime over Texas" There were finger indentions on the armrest ends, and I believe they may have had to change the seat covers . . .I KNOW I had to change my skivs. And they didn't like me yelling "HOLY SHEETS!!!"
Didn't like it at ALL. That's why when I go east, (never been east of Aust. TX) , I ain't flying in one of them things to get there.

blucher 07-18-2011 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a cat fly into Philly with me. The cat flew cargo till we switched to a small plane for the 50 mile flight into Reading PA. Cat now is riding in a carrier on my lap.

Between Philly & Reading were lots of air pockets since we only now discovered Reading was the 3rd stop of our flight. At low altitudes planes are bouncy.
Now I have a terrified Siamese crying Oh SHEETS! continuously but with a sort of warble effect as the ups & downs lent depth to kitty's cries. This is clearly not air travel by my definition.

Airplanes clearly defy God's intentions. No feathers on me, no hollow bones and no resemblance at all to "lighter than air". That said they do serve a purpose. Travel by road or rail is slow, statistically more dangerous and subtracts from fun time at your destination.

The trick is to get through the 5 minutes between takeoff and enough altitude to reach quiet air. At 30,000 feet you lose all sensation of flight and can take a nap.

little planes - bad
BIG PLANES - good

ChrisNukemYJ 07-18-2011 05:44 PM

On my way to Fort Jackson we took a large plane from Phoenix to Atlanta. Then we got stuck in a little
puddle jumper from Atlanta to Columbia. I thought the itty bitty puddle jumper was more fun
then the large plane. But I am also a bit strange.

RiponredTJ 07-18-2011 06:45 PM

I love traveling by train myself. I rode trains all over Europe, and thought it was a great way to see some nice scenery while sipping on a glass of vino.

I would rather take the train than fly if I'm going from Montreal to Ottawa or Toronto. Much more relaxed imo. No crazy line ups, stressed out lunatics and cavity searches.

blucher 07-18-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

I would rather take the train than fly if I'm going from Montreal to Ottawa or Toronto. Much more relaxed imo. No crazy line ups, stressed out lunatics and cavity searches.
You're spoiled with all your Eastern cities so close together. Had you heard we're now expecting surgically implanted bombs? I'm guessing El Al will be the first target.

blucher 07-18-2011 08:00 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Amtrak railroad travel.

blucher 07-19-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

I just don't get how the train thing works....

BLUCHER! help me? lol
If you've seen the vacation packages what's your question? I haven't been on a train in your lifetime but if you specify a need I know how to look. Trains may actually have live people answering phones because of the nature of questions.

blucher 07-19-2011 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiHood (Post 117331)
TOO COLD!!! and WET!!!

Big sissy, it's the end of July when OR begins it's impersonation of Arizona for 6 weeks. It may not even rain at all some Augusts. Puget Sound looks like a fun place to open up a power boat and boogie.
Even the Oregon cats ignore the rain, it's rarely more than a light misty drizzle. We're green 24/7 365 days a year.
The Dalles (photo) is at the Eastern end of the Columbia Gorge and it's a hot dry desert where you can thaw out.
DallesDam Aug "97"

RiponredTJ 07-19-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucher (Post 117363)
You're spoiled with all your Eastern cities so close together. Had you heard we're now expecting surgically implanted bombs? I'm guessing El Al will be the first target.

Toronto is a six hour drive from Montreal at interstate speeds. The train takes about 4 hours.

HiHood 07-19-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucher (Post 117428)
Big sissy, it's the end of July when OR begins it's impersonation of Arizona for 6 weeks. It may not even rain at all some Augusts. Puget Sound looks like a fun place to open up a power boat and boogie.
Even the Oregon cats ignore the rain, it's rarely more than a light misty drizzle. We're green 24/7 365 days a year.
The Dalles (photo) is at the Eastern end of the Columbia Gorge and it's a hot dry desert where you can thaw out.
DallesDam Aug "97"

Yeah, well, we just got our yearly 6" terrential rains. BURRR!!

97 whoopity la la I lived along the Columbia Riv. and it was TOO COLD!!! TOO WET, beautiful, but MISERABLE.

blucher 07-20-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

97 whoopity la la I lived along the Columbia Riv. and it was TOO COLD!!! TOO WET, beautiful, but MISERABLE.
I almost made the same mistake. The area near Stevenson Washington began having landslides shortly after I decided not to move there.

when it's a damp cold here you need layers to keep warm. July 20th 2011 and I've had the AC on once this year.;)