CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Art / Entertainment (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/art-entertainment/)
-   -   non blockbuster movies (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/art-entertainment/non-blockbuster-movies-19240/)

skippercollector 08-08-2011 07:52 PM

non blockbuster movies

I decided several years ago that I was no longer going to see movies that were remakes, sequels, based on comic books or based on TV shows. Part of the reason is that I am a middle-aged female and those topics are not of interest to me. The other reason is that all four of those types of movies demonstrate an extreme lack of originality in Hollywood today.
So I want to give brief reviews of the types of movies I see--dramas, an occasional romantic comedy, an occasional children's movie. The first one I am going to talk about is the one I saw this weekend, Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer.
It was at a second run theater and the entire audience was female, as far as I could tell. There are very few movies designed for female tweens, and Judy Moody was quite enjoyable. It was brightly colored, and had no pop culture references. In fact, the characters never watched TV and never listened to music! They did, however, build elaborate projects in their yard and went hunting for Bigfoot in the nearby woods. I was impressed!
The other detail I liked was that few of the characters had trendy names--Judy, Opal, Frank and James, for example.

ChrisNukemYJ 08-08-2011 08:06 PM

Seems like all the new movie ideas these day come from a trip to the movie rental store.

skippercollector 08-22-2011 07:23 PM

another earth

For an extremely low-budget movie, Another Earth is not only intriguing, it's beautifully filmed. No special effects except for Earth 2 and its moon in the sky. The poster, based on a scene toward the end, is stunning.
It's about a woman named Rhoda who is out of prison after four years following a horrible drunk driving accident. She finds work housekeeping at a local school, plus she masquerades as a housekeeper for a business so that she can meet the survivor of the horrible wreck. John doesn't realize who she is. He's been suffering severe depression since the accident killed his wife and daughter.
The movie's a little slow in places but otherwise very impressive. I hope it gets expanded to be shown at more theaters other than the art theaters where it's being shown.

Austin 08-23-2011 02:37 PM

Sounds interesting. Is it on Video yet?

skippercollector 08-23-2011 03:50 PM

to austin

I haven't heard when Another Earth will be released on DVD. It was released in some theaters across the US a few weeks ago and finally made it to the art theater where I live just this past weekend.

Austin 08-24-2011 10:23 AM

I see. Having a 3 year old I don't get out to theaters much.

I look forward to it making it's way to DVD!

skippercollector 09-19-2011 09:03 PM

Seven Days in Utopia

The title of "Seven Days in Utopia" is both strange and vague at the same time. It tells you nothing of what the movie is about. It's a GOLF movie, of all things! And it was produced by a Christian company.
The only two familiar actors in the movie are Robert Duvall and Kathy Baker. Duvall plays a retired pro golfer assisting a new golfer who had a meltdown on the pro tour. Duvall lives in a little Texas town called Utopia, and helps the new guy with a week of training, hence the title.
The religious aspects aren't that pervasive--the family says grace before dinner; everyone goes to Easter services; Duvall gives some advice to his protege'. In some ways, the movie is similar to "Soul Surfer," in which religion is a part of the family's everyday life, but no one goes around preaching or giving advice unless asked.
I've seen a number of the Christian-based movies of the past 10 years, and the main problem I've encountered with them hasn't been the low budgets or the occasional preachiness, but rather how stilted they often feel. I felt that way during "Utopia." It's an entertaining little movie and moves very quickly. But the concept of combining conservative Christianity with golf just didn't work well, almost as if there had been two different scripts that were combined. I wonder what would have happened if there had been two different movies made--one about a pro golfer with a disastrous debut and the other about a retired athlete living in a small town?

skippercollector 10-09-2011 06:19 PM

the help

I am very glad that "The Help" is doing as well as it is. We finally saw it last night. It's been in the theaters for almost two months now, a very long run for a drama/chick flick at a first-run theater.
My friend told me the story was very true to the book, which I have not yet read. The movie is 2 hours and 15 minutes but is never slow and always keeps your interest and does not seem like a long movie. In fact, because of the time period in which it is set, how bright and sharp the film is, and some of the cinematography and scene shots, really do make it look like a Technicolor film from the 1960s. I thought the movie was excellent!
My favorite character was Skeeter's mom, played by Allison Janney. She is neither completely good nor completely evil. Janney stole every scene she was in and I think she should be considered for Best Supporting Actress when Oscar time comes around.

Austin 10-10-2011 01:33 PM

What was it about?

skippercollector 10-10-2011 04:39 PM

the help

"The Help" is based on the 2009 novel by Kathryn Stockett and takes place in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1963. It's about the relationships between wealthy white southern women and their black maids.

skippercollector 11-06-2011 05:10 PM

the big year

"The Big Year" is a physically beautiful movie, with spectacular scenery. The plot is unusual--it's about a race between three men to see the most birds in a year. In other words, it's a movie about bird-watching, a topic which I think has never before been covered by Hollywood.
The stars are Steve Martin, Owen Wilson and Jack Black, with a very brief cameo by Anjelica Huston. Corbin Bernsen plays a rather nutty helicopter pilot.
At first the film is hard to follow, as you try to figure out all the characters and where they are going and when and what birds they are chasing after. The film takes place in 2004, but all the reviews I've read said that it takes place in 1999!
This is a film best seen in theaters because much of it was filmed on location. It's also easier to see the birds on the big screen--I can't imagine how some of them would look on a TV screen, even a larger one. The closing credits show 750 bird photographs.

skippercollector 11-22-2011 02:44 PM

Courageous

"Courageous" is the best of the low-budget Christian-themed movies that have been released in the past 10 years. Still preachy, but the acting (the entire cast is of unknowns) was greatly improved.
It's the story of five men--four police officers and a carpenter--who make a written, public commitment to be good husbands and fathers.

skippercollector 12-06-2011 09:11 PM

Anonymous

"Anonymous" puts forth the question of who wrote Shakespeare's plays, if not him. The movie says it is a man named Edward DeVere, a lover of Queen Elizabeth.
The movie is confusing because it keeps jumping back and forth in time, between the years when Edward and Elizabeth were young and Shakespeare was first putting on his plays, and 40 years later, when Elizabeth is dying. There are many characters and they are hard to keep straight, especially since the film is literally somewhat dark and many of the characters look alike.
It's entertaining but you really have to keep track of what is going on. Don't leave the theater to go to the restroom!
There was one clever bit of casting. British actor Derek Jacobi, who was the opening narrator for Kenneth Branagh's productions of "Henry V" and "Hamlet," was also the opening narrator for this film.
I'm not a fan of Shakespeare one way or the other. The main reason I saw the movie is that I like producer Roland Emmerich (yes, I admit I like him). He's mainly known for disaster movies, and "Anonymous" was a very different sort of film for him.

skippercollector 12-26-2011 09:34 PM

The Descendants

"The Descendants" joins a growing list of stories (Everwood, Grace is Gone, Heartland, etc.) focusing on a clueless, self-centered father who becomes widowed and is forced to raise his two children alone. This time the story focuses on George Clooney as Matt. What makes "The Descendants" stand out is that Matt has a very large family--it's difficult to keep everyone straight--and the story is set in Hawaii.
The movie is sad and touching. It's very well-done and really keeps your interest. Unfortunately, the movie does not have really wide distribution. Its audience is also older and female, just like "The Help" and "Mamma Mia."
"The Descendants" has been nominated for several awards already, and will probably be nominated for Best Picture.
One added bonus for the movie's female fans--surfer Laird Hamilton has a bit part in the beginning of the movie.

skippercollector 01-07-2012 12:35 PM

The Way

"The Way" is a movie from 2010 that has been making its way into various theaters for the past 15 months. It stars Martin Sheen with cameos by his son Emilio Estevez. The movie was filmed across Europe and I am unfamiliar with the other actors.
The plot is this: Sheen is an ophthalmologist in California who learns that his son Estevez has died hiking through the Pyrenees in France. Sheen heads to France to collect the body (which he decides to cremate) but then also decides to scatter his son's ashes across the El Camino de Santiago in northern Spain, an 800-kilometer walk which will probably take him two months.
He meets many people along the way from all over the world. He ends up hiking most of the time with an overweight Dutch guy, a bitter divorced Canadian woman, and a writer from Ireland.
The movie is a bit too long and you think it is ending about 20 minutes before it actually does. There's really not much plot, but you learn much about the characters, while the places they stop for the night are amusing. It's mainly a way for Sheen to get over his grief.
I don't know when this was filmed, but I wondered if it was being filmed in Europe at the same time Charlie Sheen was getting into so much trouble in the United States. I kept thinking that the movie was a way for Martin and Emilio to distance themselves from Charlie, and that perhaps Martin's grief wasn't just acting, it was for the way he was probably losing his other real-life son.

skippercollector 01-07-2012 12:59 PM

to austin

Another Earth was released on DVD on Nov. 29.

skippercollector 01-07-2012 01:04 PM

dolphin tale

With two three-day weekends in a row I was able to see several movies. On New Year's Day I saw Dolphin Tale, a different sort of family movie.
DT is not a movie for small children. The plot is too complicated and the scenes with the stricken dolphin and/or the amputee veterans may be too much for them.
But DT is a beautiful movie, filmed in Clearwater, Fla., where it takes place. Although the plot is a little predictable--you just know the owners of the marine animal hospital will raise enough money to keep it open--it still can cause a lump in your throat in some scenes.
I think that DT has pretty much completed its run in the theaters, but I would recommend finding the DVD as it is a very entertaining family film.

Austin 01-09-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippercollector (Post 134780)
Another Earth was released on DVD on Nov. 29.

I'll check out Hastings tonight when I get out.

skippercollector 01-15-2012 07:48 PM

My Week with Marilyn

Marilyn Monroe is experiencing a recent resurgence in popularity. "My Week with Marilyn" stars Michelle Williams in the title role. It's an entertaining, and very beautifully filmed, movie, but from what I've read I don't think it's that historically accurate.
It's about her filming of "The Prince and the Showgirl" with Laurence Olivier in 1956 in England. Kenneth Branagh plays Olivier, and he was the main reason I saw the movie. I've always loved Branagh in historical roles. His frequent co-star Derek Jacobi is also in the movie.
I'd recommend this movie, but if you're looking to learn something, I'm afraid you won't.

skippercollector 01-15-2012 07:52 PM

The Ides of March--spoilers!

Today's movie was "The Ides of March," starring George Clooney and Ryan Gosling. It was largely filmed in Cincinnati, and is still playing in a few Cincinnati second-run theaters, three months after its release. By the way, the city is portrayed accurately, with no strange fictional names or shortcuts from one area to another.
I thought it was going to be a political thriller, but it turned out to be just a soap opera. The first half is a lot of maneuvering between the candidates and their potential allies, but the second half, well, it became a story about a publicist (Gosling) who extorts the governor running for president (Clooney) because the publicist learned that the governor slept with an intern and gotten her pregnant.
It's kind of slow in the first half, but moves quicker in the second half.

skippercollector 02-22-2012 06:28 AM

to justinT

I found this listing for The Help DVD:
https://www.amazon.com/Help-Two-Disc-...9913630&sr=1-3

skippercollector 02-22-2012 06:31 AM

The Iron Lady

The Iron Lady doesn't turn out to be what you think it will be. The movie stars Meryl Streep as British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. But the film focuses less on her biography and political career and more on the Alzheimer's disease which she is now experiencing.
Not that the movie isn't entertaining, or educational. But a straight history is what you expect, not a medical drama. The film is a little depressing.

skippercollector 02-22-2012 06:35 AM

We Bought a Zoo

We Bought a Zoo looks like it should have been filmed in Technicolor. It FEELS like a 1960s live-action Disney film, just a little edgier with the swear words. In fact, it was somewhat reminiscent of the Disney film Swiss Family Robinson.
Matt Damon is excellent as the widowed father. On the other hand, here is yet another movie about a clueless dad trying to raise two children on his own (see my earlier comments about The Descendants).
It's not a laugh-out-loud comedy, just sweet. The subplot involving the animal inspector was the weakest part of the film.

skippercollector 02-22-2012 06:38 AM

Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise isn't as funny as the previews make it out to be. It's more of a soap opera with gospel and pop music. The singing is wonderful, by the way. But the subplots of family problems were more annoying than entertaining. In fact, there were so many characters that it was hard to keep all of them straight.
However, it was wonderful seeing Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah together. They should have made a movie together years ago!

skippercollector 02-22-2012 06:44 AM

Hugo

The most elaborate computer-animated film ever made has to be Hugo. It's been nominated for several Academy Awards.
Hugo is about an orphan boy who lives in the clock tower of the train station in Paris in the 1920s. A girl who is slightly older than he is befriends him, and together they help her grandparents come to terms with their earlier, forgotten careers in movie-making.
The grandfather is Georges Milier, who created one of the earliest feature films, Le Voyages de la Lune, about a trip to the moon. I have no idea how much actual history is in Hugo, how it compares to the real-life story of Milier.
Hugo is a bit slow in places, and truthfully, the elaborate-ness of the train station and clock tower can be distracting at times. It's not an animated film for small children, who would likely not understand the story. It's for tweens and older.

skippercollector 02-29-2012 05:00 PM

Red Tails

Red Tails is an unusual move/movie for producer George Lucas. It's about black soldiers stationed in Italy during World War II, the men known as the Tuskegee Airmen.
It's a highly fictionalized story. I honestly do not know if any of the characters in the movie were based on real people, or compilations of people. You'd think the movie would bring up a lot of emotions, but it feels "cold," for want of a better term.
The special effects (plane and train explosions) are 21st century, but the sound is mid-20th century. By that I mean that the voices are soft and not in stereo, and the instrumental background music sounds like it is a coming from a simple mono record player. The acting is a bit wooden as well. I think it might have been a better movie if it had been filmed in black-and-white.
Gerald McRaney has a bit part in the movie, playing yet another soldier.

skippercollector 03-08-2012 08:20 PM

the artist

Like so many movies that have won Best Picture, I was not that impressed with The Artist. I thought it was slow.
Much of the movie is borrowed heavily from Singing in the Rain and A Star is Born. Actually, except for one character giving someone the finger, the majority of the movie is very benign, and I couldn't understand why it had a PG-13 rating. It's not until the last 20 minutes that you learn why the film has a heavier rating.
I suspect the movie won so many awards because of its novelty--being filmed in black-and-white, and being mostly silent. There are some scenes with sound, and they are actually the most interesting parts of the film.

skippercollector 03-12-2012 05:47 AM

the secret world of arrietty

Mary Norton wrote five books about the Borrowers, families of tiny people who live in the walls of old homes in the British countryside in the early 1900s. Arrietty is the daughter of one of these families.
The Secret World of Arrietty is a Japanese anime' film which combines the first two novels, The Borrowers and The Borrowers Afield. The setting has been moved to modern-day Japan. For American audiences, the film was dubbed into English, with Carol Burnett supplying the voice of the housekeeper.
The first half of the movie pretty much follows the first half of The Borrowers. Then a character from the second book is introduced, and the story veers off, although the ending is the same as the book.
Is the film good? It's entertaining, but it gets a little slow in the middle. The animation is beautiful, but the setting and the voices are a little disconcerting, because they don't look and sound like what you imagined they'd be if you've read the books.
The movie actually has a G rating!

skippercollector 04-04-2012 05:41 PM

big miracle

I absolutely LOVED the Drew Barrymore movie Big Miracle and will have to buy the DVD.
It's based on a true incident from 1988 in which three whales were trapped by thickening ice off of Barrow, Alaska. The ice on the top of the water had frozen for 5 miles before open ocean, and that was too far for them to swim without surfacing. Whales are mammals, you know, and breathe air.
I think the reason I enjoyed Big Miracle so much was that in many ways it was reminiscent of Apollo 13, my all-time favorite movie. Miracle was a true story, about three trapped beings, cold temperatures, anxious TV viewers from around the world, continuing news coverage, many people coming together to help, occasional nerve-wracking scenes, and an ending that wasn't entirely happy.
Although not for very small children, this is a movie I recommend for the whole family.

skippercollector 04-14-2012 02:55 PM

Chronicle--spoilers

Oh, man, was Chronicle one weird disturbing movie!
It's the story of three teenage boys who develop magical/super powers after visiting a mysterious cave which is later covered over. This is NOT a superhero movie. The boys at first enjoy their new powers, but of course they cannot handle them and the climax turns out tragic and violent. It's apocalyptic at the end as downtown Seattle is blown apart.
That's not to say that Chronicle isn't a good movie. The truth is, it was well-written, upsetting and clever, with well-done but low-budget special effects. It's got a PG-13 rating but it's borderline R with its violence.
The best scene was the most innocent one. Rather than using their powers to get girls or humiliate bullies, two of the boys enter their high school talent show as magicians and totally wow their audience. That sequence was one of the reasons the movie was so original--what movie have you seen lately that included a high school talent show?

skippercollector 05-18-2012 07:48 AM

mirror, mirror

Mirror, Mirror is a strange movie.
It's not as funny as the previews made it out to be. The sets are surreal and obviously fake. There are plot holes regarding Julia Roberts Wicked Stepmother character. And there was a Bollywood musical number during the closing credits!
It's one of those movies in which the concept was great but the actual movie doesn't work very well, not to mention that the story moves kind of slow.
Actually, the sets were what I liked the best! The scenes in the snow-covered forest made me imagine what Camelot or Dr. Zhivago must have looked like on the big screen. The snow also really set off the outlandish costumes.
I know Mirror, Mirror has done only moderately well at the theaters. It looks like it was meant to be a Christmas release movie but for some reason was delayed. The film might have done better had it been released in December.

skippercollector 05-28-2012 01:25 PM

The Raven

John Cusack's "The Raven" has done poorly at the theaters, both in Europe and in the United States. It has an unusual premise: What happened to Edgar Allen Poe in the last five days of his life, and what caused his death?
It's entirely fiction: Poe's helping the police chase a serial killer who has kidnapped his fiance. The film is beautifully shot, but a little slow-moving. It has an R rating, for one very violent gory scene of one of the first murders. Other than that, it's pretty much PG-13.
The occasional anachronisms don't help: the use of the word "OK," the term "I'm you're biggest fan" and most notably, the rock song during the closing credits don't help.

(Yes, I realize that "OK" originated in the early 1800s, but I'm not sure how widespread its use was until the mid-20th century.)

skippercollector 06-06-2012 09:10 PM

october baby

My latest comments are about yet another "religious" movie. It's called October Baby from 2011. The film is about a college student with numerous health problems. Her parents don't tell her until she's 19 that she was adopted, and that her chronic conditions are the result of a premature birth due to an attempt to abort her. The girl then goes on a trip to find her birth mother.
The film isn't overtly religious, although the closing credits listed a number of conservative Christian groups that helped sponsor its making.
As for the movie itself, I really enjoyed it, and it was unusual story filmed in Mobile, Alabama, along the Gulf Coast, a place we don't normally see in movies. The only two actors I recognized were John Schneider, who plays the girl's father, and Jasmine Guy, who played a nurse she meets. Guy was awesome in this movie; in an alternate universe she could have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Her character was reminiscent of the one that Mariah Carey played in "Precious."
Why do I keep going to see conservative Christian movies? Not for the reasons many people assume. I love going to movies and have seen hundreds of films on all ends of the spectrums of religion, politics or economics. It's not the political message I'm interested in--I see movies because the plot interests me or I like some of the actors!
The other reason is much more mundane. There is a third-run, inexpensive theater literally one block down the street from me. The owner, although he shows the blockbusters, specializes in showing these little-known low-budget family movies, and I commend him for that.

skippercollector 06-23-2012 07:55 AM

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I've loved Judi Dench since I discovered her old British TV series "As Time Goes By" on PBS. She is the star of "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel."
A group of retirees from England makes plans to stay in a long-term hotel in India. Of course, the inn's website exaggerated, and the place has just been reopened and is very run-down. The owner cannot afford to refund their money and they all decide to stay.
In typical movie fashion, each of the characters goes through a healing process because of their time in India and at the hotel. (Truth is, they all just probably needed to get away from home for a spell!)
This extended vacation exposes the difficulties that two of the characters have, and their time there ends badly. The others live (somewhat) happily ever after.

skippercollector 07-08-2012 11:03 AM

for greater glory

If David Lean, Sergio Leone and Francis Ford Coppola got together to make a movie, it would look like "For Greater Glory."
Why these three? Because the movie has:
Peter O'Toole, passenger trains, some that were blown up (Lean).
A lone gunfighter in the desert, wearing Spanish-style clothing and a bandolier of bullets, killing a troop of soldiers (Leone).
Stylized gun battles (Coppola).
"Glory" is a Mexican epic set in the 1920s. During that decade, the new Mexican president outlawed public religious displays and eventually most of church worship, to the point of killing many religious. Catholic priests and their parishioners rebelled and formed an army to fight the government troops.
The movie is R-rated because of its extreme violence, including the torture and murder of a young boy. There is no cursing, no nudity, no sex. But it was very well-done, and I learned a lot of Mexican history.
I've mentioned the small privately-owned movie theater down the street from me before. The owner, Ed Miller, shows a lot of mass market G, PG and PG-13 movies but also a number of Catholic or conservative Christian movies. He doesn't show R movies, but the priest at the local Catholic church mentioned "Glory" during one of his sermons a few weeks ago, which I think was one of the reasons Ed decided to show this one.
I saw it on a Saturday night, the 9 p.m. show. The film is almost 2 1/2 hours long. The theater was packed, and there were many families with young children there. The kids were all very quiet during the film, and nobody left early. I hope the violence didn't frighten them too much--it sure bothered me! I realize that many video games are very violent, and the youngsters have probably watched R-rated movies on TV or video, but I wondered if this was the first R movie many of them might have seen on the big screen.

skippercollector 07-31-2012 08:11 PM

moonrise kingdom

I THOUGHT Moonrise Kingdom was going to be a sweet adventure story set in 1965 about a boy and a girl, both age 12, who run away to another island, unaware that a hurricane is coming.
Well, that is the plot, but "sweet" it ain't. Moonrise Kingdom is a rather bizarre movie, even creepy at times. Bruce Willis and Bill Murray both look kind of embarrassed to be in it. It's supposed to be a comedy, but I laughed only a few times. Moonrise simply wasn't to my taste.

skippercollector 08-21-2012 09:57 PM

The Odd Life of Timothy Green

Although you won't need really need tissues as you watch Disney's latest, "The Odd Life of Timothy Green," you'll quickly guess at the beginning of the film that the ending isn't going to be happy.
It's the story of a couple unable to have children who imagine what the perfect child would be like, and that night he appears in their house. Timothy's story will remind you both of "Pinocchio," obviously, and also of the various wood nymphs of Shakespeare and Greek mythology, because of the leaves on his legs.
The best character isn't any of the Green family. Rather, it is the snotty elderly lady who runs the local museum, played by Dianne Wiest, who is both funny and intimidating.

skippercollector 09-02-2012 07:47 PM

hope springs

The title of "Hope Springs" is a pun--it's the name of the town where it takes place, and of course, there is the phrase "Hope springs eternal."
Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones play a middle-aged couple who go to a marriage counselor, played by Steve Carell. The film is uncomfortably frank about the couple's lack of a sex life and how far they have drifted apart.
"Hope" is being promoted as a comedy, and it has its funny moments, but it is definitely a drama. Because there are so few people in it, and most of it takes place in the same rooms, it might work better as an adult play.
As for the audience, there was a large crowd, but I saw only one woman there under the age of 40, and she came with her parents. Although the film isn't as great as it could have been, it is good that there is a movie being marketed for the over-35 audience.

skippercollector 09-20-2012 07:30 PM

beasts of the southern wild

I wanted so badly to like "Beasts of the Southern Wild," the story of a forgotten, desperately poor community along the Gulf Coast when a hurricane comes through.
But the film is somewhat slow and can actually be a bit nauseating to watch.
The squalor in which the protagonists live is hard to sit through. And yet the people are unusually optimistic, not too concerned about starting over yet again after another devastating storm. They are also very healthy, probably because they've grown or caught everything they eat.

skippercollector 09-20-2012 07:37 PM

the words

"The Words" is a story within a story within a story. Got all that?
It's about an author, Clay Hammond (Dennis Quaid), who has written a novel about so-so writer Rory Janson (Bradley Cooper) who discovers a long-lost manuscript by another writer, whose name we never do learn (Jeremy Irons). Rory publishes the story as his own, and it is highly acclaimed and a big seller. Then the person who wrote the original manuscript, now an old man (Irons' character), introduces himself to Rory.
The plot jumps back and forth across the three storylines, and it takes a bit of time to figure out who is in which plot and what each plot is. The one major plot hole was this: Rory doesn't know the old writer's name; all that he knows is that the man now lives in upstate New York and that he had served in France in World War II. Yet Rory immediately tracks him down to apologize and offer him part of the books' earnings.
I wanted so badly to love this movie, but was disappointed in how convoluted it was.