CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   National Politics / Debate (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/national-politics-debate/)
-   -   Poor homes to get $10 cable broadband next year (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/national-politics-debate/poor-homes-get-%2410-cable-broadband-next-year-21314/)

YelloJeep 11-09-2011 12:20 PM

Poor homes to get $10 cable broadband next year
 
Poor homes to get $10 cable broadband - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com


Well, what if they don't have a car??? Are we going to subsidize car ownership?? Oh, and of course they need cable to stay informed!! Oh good grief Charlie Brown.....

https://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...nZUU8Goau0sD5h

YelloJeep 11-09-2011 12:22 PM

Oops... I thought the title to the thread would say something else!! Please moderator, fix my screwup!!

It is supposed to say:"Poor homes to get $10 cable broadband next year"

Eddie_T 11-09-2011 01:43 PM

. . . and Obama thinks everyone deserves a college education (at our expense). I think adopting a pet from the pound is a good allegory, they charge you for it so you will treat it with some respect. There are too many college grads now that shouldn't be.

RedJeepXJ 11-10-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YelloJeep (Post 131011)
Poor homes to get $10 cable broadband - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com


Well, what if they don't have a car??? Are we going to subsidize car ownership?? Oh, and of course they need cable to stay informed!! Oh good grief Charlie Brown.....

https://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...nZUU8Goau0sD5h

this was done as part of allowing them to have a monopoly, since there is no competition for internet service in many areas of the country....

HiHood 11-10-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ (Post 131115)
this was done as part of allowing them to have a monopoly, since there is no competition for internet service in many areas of the country....

There's no competitive internet service here either, (in fact there ain't ANY), and I'm poor desert trash, will someone pay for my satelite internet?

Eddie_T 11-22-2011 10:53 PM

Isn't one of the OWS demands is a free college education for everyone?

RedJeepXJ 11-23-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie_T (Post 132270)
Isn't one of the OWS demands is a free college education for everyone?

lame attack, sure some people are, just as some tea partiers want far far more insane things.....

a free college education program isn't a bad idea as long as it is towards a worthwhile degree, america will not stay ahead by having a poorly educated workforce.

Sideways 11-23-2011 08:57 PM

For those who choose to do so what's the problem? Whether it's an academic or technical degree it's giving people opportunities. Not like you're forcing people, just giving them an opportunity.

Eddie_T 11-24-2011 09:10 AM

Aren't a lot of the OWSers college grads? Do we want more of them?

Sideways 11-24-2011 09:45 AM

Sooooo, who makes the decision who goes to college, who doesn't and what they study. Sounds very, ohhh, what's the word I'm looking for? I know. Communistic.

RedJeepXJ 11-24-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 132373)
Sooooo, who makes the decision who goes to college, who doesn't and what they study. Sounds very, ohhh, what's the word I'm looking for? I know. Communistic.

not saying people should be locked out, but for government assistance the job should be in demand, we have a shortage of scientists an abundance of art history majors (or similar professions) why subsidize both when we really need just one?

rivalarrival 11-24-2011 02:09 PM

Ok, let's be clear: This plan will NOT be an added cost to either the cable companies or the taxpayer. In fact, the cable companies will profit from this.

1. The "broadband service" they are talking about is 1mbps service, as opposed to the typical 10 to 15mbps service these companies already offer. It is "broadband" only in the sense that it is faster than dial-up.

2. This measure will increase their market share, gaining them additional customers.

3. This measure will "fill in the gaps" in their existing service. The costs to provide service to 100% of the houses on a block are not significantly higher than the costs to provide service to 50% of the houses on a block. But, It will take 12 to 15 of these customers to increase network congestion the same as one regular customer. The cable companies will earn $120 to $150/month from those new customers, and only $40 to $50 from a traditional customer.

RedJeepXJ 11-24-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivalarrival (Post 132401)
Ok, let's be clear: This plan will NOT be an added cost to either the cable companies or the taxpayer. In fact, the cable companies will profit from this.

1. The "broadband service" they are talking about is 1mbps service, as opposed to the typical 10 to 15mbps service these companies already offer. It is "broadband" only in the sense that it is faster than dial-up.

2. This measure will increase their market share, gaining them additional customers.

3. This measure will "fill in the gaps" in their existing service. The costs to provide service to 100% of the houses on a block are not significantly higher than the costs to provide service to 50% of the houses on a block. But, It will take 12 to 15 of these customers to increase network congestion the same as one regular customer. The cable companies will earn $120 to $150/month from those new customers, and only $40 to $50 from a traditional customer.

if we didn't allow monopolies and contracts the u.s. could have a much more significant amount of competition to where this is not needed, but the anti consumer atmosphere of the u.s. keeps that from happening

Sideways 11-24-2011 04:35 PM

Some hate science and love art. The basic point of my question is who decides? Government? Now that doesn't sound just communistic it sounds totalitarian. What about a incentive to get individuals into at demand professions such as lower student loan rates for those professions? That I could see.

RedJeepXJ 11-24-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 132404)
Some hate science and love art. The basic point of my question is who decides? Government? Now that doesn't sound just communistic it sounds totalitarian. What about a incentive to get individuals into at demand professions such as lower student loan rates for those professions? That I could see.

That is pretty much what I suggested, government backed student loans have lower rates then non government backed loans, hence the benefit to the student going after an in-demand degree, the people who love art can still go to college but will get the higher -non government backed loans

Sideways 11-25-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ (Post 132409)
That is pretty much what I suggested, government backed student loans have lower rates then non government backed loans, hence the benefit to the student going after an in-demand degree, the people who love art can still go to college but will get the higher -non government backed loans

Exactly. You're not forcing people into a profession but giving them an incentive. From my own personal experience I can tell you that there are some who can't compete the requirements for a science degree, that's why they choose a liberal ars degree. The core courses for both are different. If I had to take anything beyond algebra I wouldn't be able to complete a BS degree so a BA degree is my best choice. There are others who thrive on hard science and could not grasp the elements of film theory. We all have our own abilities and shortcomings.
The problem I see with this approach however is you are providing an incentive for students to complete a degree that they won't compete until 4-6 years later. How do you predict what careers would need to be filled the most? By the time those individuals complete their education the field they have chosen may be saturated.
Don't forget that 1) an undergrad student changes their major about 3 times before the graduate and, 2) most undergrads do not work in the field related to their degree. Is this related to job market or personal choice? :dunno:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.