CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Religion / Philosophy (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/religion-philosophy/)
-   -   Ask a Scholar...well, at least Scholar in training... (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/religion-philosophy/ask-scholar-well-least-scholar-training-2199/)

Deepskyy 08-29-2010 08:48 AM

Ask a Scholar...well, at least Scholar in training...
 
Got a question about religion? Something obscure that has you stumped? Bored? Ask a question and I will do my best to give you a scholarly reply.
B.A. Philosophy and Religion, M.A. (almost) Religious Studies.
So... have at it!
:D

helicase50 08-29-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepskyy (Post 8974)
Got a question about religion? Something obscure that has you stumped? Bored? Ask a question and I will do my best to give you a scholarly reply.
B.A. Philosophy and Religion, M.A. (almost) Religious Studies.
So... have at it!
:D

So this means you can help me in my seminar in Philosophy? And why did you not fill me in all this time when I either had a religion or philosophy course?

havasu 08-30-2010 12:17 AM

If one is a believer of Adam and Eve, and Noah's Arc, how do they dismiss evolution?

HooblyGoob 08-30-2010 12:48 AM

How do you feel about Mormonism?

havasu 08-30-2010 08:47 AM

I'll tell you how I feel about Mormans....Whenever I see two bicycles locked up together in my neighborhood, with two young men wearing white short sleeve dress shirts and ties walking door to door, I close up everything and don't answer the front door.

Funetical 08-30-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havasu (Post 9122)
If one is a believer of Adam and Eve, and Noah's Arc, how do they dismiss evolution?

Ignorance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooblyGoob (Post 9132)
How do you feel about Mormonism?

I like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by havasu (Post 9172)
I'll tell you how I feel about Mormans....Whenever I see two bicycles locked up together in my neighborhood, with two young men wearing white short sleeve dress shirts and ties walking door to door, I close up everything and don't answer the front door.

See I open mine. I like those folks, I just go outside so that way when I'm done talking religion, they don't have to be asked to leave all weirdly.

I think South Park covered the Mormons well. Who cares what they believe? They are nice, now. I don't see Mormons as any more far fetched than any of the others.

Deepskyy 08-31-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicase50 (Post 9021)
So this means you can help me in my seminar in Philosophy? And why did you not fill me in all this time when I either had a religion or philosophy course?

I can try, and I didn't know you needed help!!!
:D

Deepskyy 08-31-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havasu (Post 9122)
If one is a believer of Adam and Eve, and Noah's Arc, how do they dismiss evolution?

If I am understanding your question right, you are asking how believers get around the issue of evolution.

The more ultraconservative Christians will ignore evolution. They will claim that science is flawed in some way, and turn a blind eye to the facts.

With that being said, there has been a transition in most of Christianity towards an acceptance of science, and understanding that the stories of the bible were meant to be explanations for a less advanced civilization. They view science as proof of G-d's divinity and perfection.

Deepskyy 08-31-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooblyGoob (Post 9132)
How do you feel about Mormonism?

An interesting offshoot of Christianity. I've not studied it as much as some other elements of American Christianity. Like most religions, they have their extremists that give the rest of them a bad rap. My neighbors back home were Mormon and they were chill just like any other people. Very polite and gracious people.

helicase50 09-02-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepskyy (Post 9706)
I can try, and I didn't know you needed help!!!
:D

I go to Le Moyne (look it up). Last year I had brother Guy Consolmagno (sp?) from the Vatican as well as an 83 yr old dutch man Jan Lambrecht, SJ for one class. I almost failed the one part, no one was passing if I had only known about you then. I have to take religion and philosophy every year.

Now I have a Rabi.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.