CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Pennsylvania (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/pennsylvania/)
-   -   Please give me one good reason to visit Pennsylvania (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/pennsylvania/please-give-me-one-good-reason-visit-pennsylvania-2466/)

JLCinLA 09-09-2010 02:02 AM

Please give me one good reason to visit Pennsylvania

I would like to plan a tour of the U.S.A.
Would you help me decide where to go by giving us one good reason to visit your State.

krutj 09-14-2010 05:49 PM

If you're looking for the opposite of L.A., then I'd say this is a great place to visit.
Most of my daily routine takes place in and around the Allegheny Mts. and the river area. Hills, trees, valleys, creeks, streams.
Last week, I walked out the back door of my facility and looked up to see three, yes, three bald eagles circling above. Probably a mother with her yearlings.
Keep in mind, the area that I'm referring to is in the northwest corner of the state. Great fresh water fishing too. Here's a pic I took out my back door a few weeks ago.

https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/krutj/014-8.jpg

Here's a morning shot of the river.

https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/007-10.jpg

The next two pics are Spring time and we were hiking at a beaver dam, the first pic is the valley and the second is a tree that we found that the beaver had been working on.

https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/krutj/084.jpg
https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/krutj/072.jpg

The things that I've described, are everyday occurrences for me. If wildlife, fresh mountain air, foggy mornings and friendly folks are something that would interest you, then by all means, visit.
(more details if you like)

krutj 09-14-2010 05:55 PM

I found the pics that I was able to get of the eagles, not great but I was in awe long enough to almost miss it.

https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/012-11.jpg
https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/015-12.jpg
https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/014-12.jpg

JLCinLA 09-14-2010 10:12 PM

Wow! Great pic's and it looks like a beautiful place to be :)
Thanks Krutj :cool:

cpfan 09-19-2010 09:04 PM

See the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.

Go to PNC Park in Pittsburgh to see the Pirates play. Possibly the least expensive tickets in the majors. Some good food, and a great selection of beers.

Amish country around Lancaster PA. Check out Strasburg and go for a ride to Paradise behind a steam train.

Steve

Aran 09-19-2010 11:08 PM

Pennsylvania is one of the birthplaces of America. It's pure history.

MommaSarge 09-22-2010 04:08 AM

I moved to Reading, PA from Los Angeles and I would never move back! I love having four REAL seasons, not "Fire, Flood, Mud and Scorch" and yesterday's weather was as perfect as you could dream of. TONS of history and not one adobe brick in the bunch! Friendly people who actually mean it when the salesclerks in the stores say, "Can I help you?" as opposed to the "really an actor" wannabes working in LA. I miss the Mouse, but that's about it - and Florida got a LOT closer! I have a 40 mile commute to work and I love it - every turn is a new view and all of them beautiful.

chariotofmanliness 09-22-2010 06:08 AM

I live in Lancaster county, right in the middle of Amish country. In fact, I rent my home from an Amish couple. We have good food here, but you need to know where to go. Stay away from the tourist areas, the food comes from a can. Places like Millers used to have great food, but they were bought out and serve junk anymore. If you're into all you can eat, go to Shady Maple, they offer breakfast, dinner and supper. They're easy to find, just follow route 23 East, from Lancaster. You'll go through New Holland and come up to the intersection of 23 and 322.....bare left onto 23, Shady Maple is about a mile on the right, can't miss it. They also have a grocery store and a sort of general store on the property. If you visit Lancaster county, do so in the spring or fall. Not only will you get to see beautiful folliage, you'll also not have to deal with all of the summer tourist traffic.

Dolfy 09-22-2010 03:23 PM

Shady Maple is an awesome place to go eat. We go there as a family all the time. If you are bringing any kids then definitely go to Philadelphia. Lots of historical places there that they've probably read about in books. Hit the zoo while your there too which is the nation's oldest zoo. Then head north into the Pocono's for some awesome scenery. I love eastern Pa.

duayne77 09-22-2010 04:05 PM

If you have kids check out Dutch Wonderland. Food is good, Lancaster city offer a variety of places to eat.

OVoXO 09-22-2010 06:33 PM

The best cheesesteaks in the world!

Saltydawg1969 09-23-2010 09:27 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Well in Phillie the driving sucks to be honest, but here are a few reason why to visit....

stearman42 09-27-2010 03:10 PM

I've got to second the idea of shady maple, and coming to Lancaster in the spring or fall. Fall is great because the harvest is in full swing (it's almost over by now, everything came in early this year with the perfect growing weather). You can't beat the food. Make sure you get some whoppie pies and a shoo-fly pie. Places like kitchen kettle are ok if your a touristy kind of person, but expect it to take longer to drive through town then to walk on any day during the summer.

ConshyJeep 09-29-2010 09:36 PM

Where to begin?

We've got America's oldest continually operational Brewery in the southeastern portion of the state in Pottsville, PA.
Their black and tan is decent, porter is d@mned good, their light beer is pretty tasty and their signature beer can be ordered just about anywhere in the state by simply asking the barman for a Lager. And if you don't like beer, well... I just feel sorry for you. :cool:

There are the Pennsylvania Wilds in Northcentral PA. In the fall, these are some of the most beautiful rolling hills (mountains for the really flat flatlanders?) in the entire state. You can see for several miles in some spots, so if you arrive at the peak time for foliage, it's a pretty impressive sight.

Lancaster County This is home to a large population of Amish people, aka, Menonites (sp?). It's just like stepping back in time. You'd better not be in a hurry here, because you're likely to end up behind several horse and buggy travellers (seriously). They don't use things like cars, electricity and most other modern conveniences. There are plenty of B&B style lodgings to be found, each one being unique. Really, it's one of the most unique places in the country. Well worth the visit.

Philadelphia . It's is one of the most historic cities in America. You can sit in the same church pew that Washington sat in while contemplating his next move during the early days of The Revolution.
You can visit Indepence Hall. It's where The Constitution was signed. Think about that. The document that governs how our government can govern us was born in this building. I don't care if you're a history buff or not, that's pretty cool. The liberty bell is just across the street too.
You can order up a cheesesteak at Pat's then walk across the street to Geno's and decide which one you prefer. Just remember you should never EVER walk across the street from one of these establishments to the other with something you bought from their rival on the other side of the street. It's not only considered poor form, but it could get you smacked around if you do this after the bars close. Consider yourself warned:D (Seriously, don't do it...take a guess how I learned this...).

There's plenty more I'm sure I'm missing, but those are the highlights for me.

stearman42 09-30-2010 09:12 AM

ConshyJeep, the Amish and Mennonites are 2 separate groups. Along the same lines, but not the same, so no aka. More like also. Also, their are different degrees of mennonites. Some are more plain the others, and others are just like anyone else, like me. We drive cars, have electricity, and live just as you do. Others drive horse and buggys, have steel wheel tractors, and then there are others that drive only black cars with no flashy chrome or anything like that. It's confusing to the average person, but they are not all the same.

ckid222 10-01-2010 06:00 PM

Dorney park and wildwater kingdom

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom - PA Amusement Park & Waterpark, over 100 rides and attractions

SOA-87-YJ 10-04-2010 03:03 PM

Beautiful Fall Foilage

roughshod 10-04-2010 06:24 PM

Rausch Creek.

JacksonBryan 10-04-2010 06:43 PM

It's not New Jersey...just my opinion of course.

SimonTuffGuy 10-04-2010 06:46 PM

https://www.pimptiva.com/gallery2/mai...serialNumber=2

Centralia is awesome. Tons of info over on offroaders.com : Centralia PA Mine Fire - Coal Burning underground, Homes destroyed

BlueRusty 10-05-2010 11:17 AM

Philadelphia Art Museum, Liberty Bell, Check out any Philly sports game while your here, and definitely pick up a cheese steak.

XJelvis 10-05-2010 11:36 AM

Check out Gettysburg. Very historic sights to see, just ask Wikipedia.

bert01xj 10-05-2010 10:07 PM

this should cover most of it!

ezman 10-06-2010 07:47 AM

i'll give you a few... not as many hippies... beautiful country scenary... pittsburgh and philly... lots of history... oh and almost any sport you want to watch from football to lawn tractor pulls to rock crawling...

krutj 10-06-2010 11:45 AM

bert01xj That was a very cool/funny video......LMAO

jth0033 10-06-2010 01:58 PM

Philadelphia is a wonderful place filled with history. I attend Shippensburg University and Gettysburg is another great town to visit. This state is filled with history and is the foundation for the creation of what we have today.

SleazyRida 10-06-2010 05:50 PM

I'd give a good reason, but, I moved out of state. Guess there's no reason to visit now.

Bob

bert01xj 10-06-2010 07:06 PM

just shows we are not above laughing at are selfs.oh yeah we also treat each other different then most states like calling are best friend a hole and not being mad at each other just playing around or dumb___ and other things that people not from pa might think is mean.

Jmarch68 10-06-2010 07:48 PM

The beach is cool, and the national forest rocks! Lots of wildlife to see!

92XJCowboy 10-07-2010 03:06 AM

In Pa if you break down on the side of the road and dont have what you need to fix it you only need to wait a few mins until someone stops to help. Dont take advantage of the locals though because most carry a gun or multiple knives.

If you like food ask the locals (politely) where their favorite diner is and what the specialty is. Back home (Macungie Pa Lehigh County) there are more diners within a 15 mile radius than there are in most counties of other states. Each has a specialty and you will be hard pressed to find anything better. Most common are Pirogies, Rubens, and Apple dumplings.

If you want good 4 wheeling there is Rausch Creek, Rock Run, and soon to come is the Northumberland County OHV park. You can also ask the locals to show you the trails.

I think there are more miles of creeks in this state than most if not all. There is good fishing in all of them. There are also some great farm pond gems hidden all over if you like bass.

Of course you cant forget about beer. Yuengling is my personal favorite beer as well as many others in the state. It is Americas oldest brewery at 181 years old. Most people from out of state either beg me to show them to the nearest beer distributor or have never heard of it.

As far as driving, once your out of the city you are going to love the view and hate the roads themselves. PennDot is always working on roads (no where near as bad as Jersey) but they only seem to make them worse. They redid a railroad crossing back home and now if you hit it over 40 mph you launch your car into the air.

Uknowwho 10-07-2010 06:43 AM

This state has lots of history... Doesn't really matter where you go in PA... You're going to find great places to visit.

krutj 10-07-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92XJCowboy (Post 20374)
In Pa if you break down on the side of the road and dont have what you need to fix it you only need to wait a few mins until someone stops to help. Dont take advantage of the locals though because most carry a gun or multiple knives.

This is true..........^^

SentinelSix 10-07-2010 09:21 PM

PA has it all

All four seasons, hiking, biking, hunting camping, fishing, kayaking, jeepin', arts, our nations earliest history, the cities, great warm freedom loving Americans, the Steelers....

Need I go on? I guess that was more than one good reason.

robby0 10-08-2010 06:18 AM

I got one good reason, to have a real philly cheese steak anywhere else they are just a lie, lol

NLDawg72 10-08-2010 06:52 AM

I would say for the good food and outdoors. See this thread for Cheese steaks: https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/pen...se-steak-2835/

spitfirecky 10-08-2010 02:26 PM

Just dont come to York, or you will be entirely disappointed. dirt boring.

hzryr61 10-15-2010 09:59 PM

Along with 4 real seasons, we don't have many earthquakes or wildfires. One of the things I love is a 3 or 4 day long rain shower in the fall!

And we have some of the BEST city names!
Beaverdale
Big Beaver
Snow Shoe
Bird-in-hand
Blue Ball
Intercourse
Climax
Snow Shoe
Wyoming
Indiana

duayne77 10-18-2010 06:47 PM

Went to this place last year, good place to eat