CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Virginia (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/virginia/)
-   -   Virginia Personal Property Tax (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/virginia/virginia-personal-property-tax-2573/)

Mike1084 09-14-2010 09:54 AM

Virginia Personal Property Tax

Just received in the mail my personal property tax bill.
Anyone else find it irksome that every election year the politicians say this is going away?

You pay tax on the vehicle when you buy it and then again every year after that. My understanding was the money was to be utilized for more and improved roads.

Most people do no like this tax and yet it's still around. I suppose once the money starts lining pockets its hard to give up.

Dustlander 09-14-2010 02:41 PM

yup its very very agitating although i pay 0 for the jeep :D

Mike1084 09-14-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustlander (Post 11670)
yup its very very agitating although i pay 0 for the jeep :D

Nice.
Mine only cost me $25 but its the priinicipal that gets me. My CJ is 1979 and I pay VA personal property tax every year.

You must not register yours in Va?

Dustlander 09-14-2010 05:02 PM

mine is 79 and registered in va its 25 then -25 for something i forget what it is i will dig it up, i know i end up paying 0
cany find my paper anywhere, so i gonna guess its a millage discount, since mine is over 200 something

Motorcharge 09-18-2010 01:23 PM

My XJs was $20 but I always got a check for the same amount for it later in the year.

theryans33 09-24-2010 03:42 AM

i think its bs too but im lucky, military doesnt have to pay

Motorcharge 09-25-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theryans33 (Post 14426)
i think its bs too but im lucky, military doesnt have to pay

Thanks for serving.

CPTTang30 09-27-2010 09:05 PM

It ia tottal and pure BS. It is illegal under federal law really.

I pay TAX on my car when I buy in in the form of state sales tax, DMV fees ect....

Then every year I have to PAY more TAX to own a car I already paid tax for.

I am sick of hearing that it is going away when they know darn well they are not going to get rid of it no matter what. Free money is free money.

Kevin108 09-28-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1084 (Post 11714)
Nice.
Mine only cost me $25 but its the priinicipal that gets me. My CJ is 1979 and I pay VA personal property tax every year.

You must not register yours in Va?

Wait, I thought anything 25 years or older was exempt? Do you still have standard plates on it?

But yes, personal property tax is bull****. You're taxed on the money you earn to buy things with, you're taxed when you make the purchase and you're taxed because you have it.

RichardD 09-28-2010 12:06 PM

Both my vehicles are old enough to buy alcohol.

I really don't think it'll ever go away. They're just tryin' to get votes by making promises that no one else will vote to pass anyhow.

The '86 Suburban costs me $13.62, and the '87 Jeep YJ is FREE, which I don't understand, but I'll take it. Maybe it's since the assesment value on the Suburban is higher? It's funny though, as the YJ is in much better shape.

It isn't right that you pay sales tax when you get it and then get hit again and again though.

Be well,
Richard

mntbkrguy 09-29-2010 10:30 AM

I have found it quite annoying, coming from FL I never had to have an inspection or pay taxes. Thankfully having an old jeep is not so expensive. What I really really don't like is that in Alexandria you have to pay a local registration fee and get an Alexandria sticker.

I was never told of this because it is separate from your registration with the state but apparently the ticket for not having it is around $120! I will be moving out of there pretty soon.

Mike1084 09-30-2010 05:51 AM

[QUOTE=Kevin108;15713]Wait, I thought anything 25 years or older was exempt? Do you still have standard plates on it?

I think to be exempt you have to change the registration and plates to an antique vehicle. Then there are considerations as to when and how much you can drive and use it.

Dustlander 09-30-2010 06:08 AM

yes i still have standard plates on mine i drive it everyday so i pretty much have to

jeepnaked89 09-30-2010 07:32 AM

I really enjoy how 1 Ton Trucks are considered Commercial so there is no tax relief even though it is my personal vehicle

Phoenix45 10-01-2010 06:39 AM

I can't complain... Being a resident of another state on active duty, I am exempt from this tax. However, even if I wasn't it is a lot less than I would pay in California where I am a resident. We recently changed our vehicle registration to VA because we would have paid over $400 to register a vehicle, we now pay about $50 in VA. Another $20 or so would still be a great savings to us!

bburkett6 10-04-2010 04:34 PM

Like any other tax, once it's in place, the politicians can't seem to find the courage to kill it. I especially like the federal death tax. You pay taxes on your 'estate' the entire time you build it, then the feds (and many times the states) take 40-50% of it away. Best way around it is to make sure the very last check you write bounces!!!!

Motorcharge 10-04-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bburkett6 (Post 18008)
Like any other tax, once it's in place, the politicians can't seem to find the courage to kill it. I especially like the federal death tax. You pay taxes on your 'estate' the entire time you build it, then the feds (and many times the states) take 40-50% of it away. Best way around it is to make sure the very last check you write bounces!!!!

Or transfer all your assets before you die. I know the death tax was removed with the Bush tax cuts, I haven't heard about whether it's coming back or not with Obama's new tax BS.

gracemely 10-05-2010 01:36 PM

Yea man. I just paid takes on the YJ, Corolla and Suburban. It's a pain in the tail pipe. As for utilising the money to improve roads, I heard somewhere that VA is still considered a rural state and therefore doesn't get the same treatment as more metropolitan areas.

ajmiller 10-05-2010 02:32 PM

At least the '88 Jeep is cheap....

archlich 10-06-2010 12:48 PM

Argh, I should have bought a TJ. My JK was $670...

daurwid 10-06-2010 03:59 PM

Yeah I hate the taxes too.

My 1991 XJ was like $30 (personalized tags). My '90XJ was $25. I just bought an '89 Ford F250 and got slapped with a $206, tags, taxes, title and fees.

This is when I found out how it all works. Taxes are based on the purchase of the vehicle (not the original MSRP) but how much it was purchased for at that time. So because I bought my '90 for $300 bucks taxes on it are nearly nothing.

So what you do is grab your spouse or friend, sell it to him/her for $1. Have a new title made in their name. Have him/her sell it to you for $1. Get new title made, viola your taxes just dropped to the floor because there is only so much tax they can take out of that $1 you paid for that vehicle...

Naughty? Yup. But IMO I'm not going to pay a ton of money for something when I don't and shouldn't have to.

sampac13 10-08-2010 09:53 AM

I just got a JK last week and am not looking forward to what my bill is goiing to be after the first year.....AWESOME!

2manyjeeps 10-14-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPTTang30 (Post 15584)
It ia tottal and pure BS. It is illegal under federal law really.

I pay TAX on my car when I buy in in the form of state sales tax, DMV fees ect....

Then every year I have to PAY more TAX to own a car I already paid tax for.

I am sick of hearing that it is going away when they know darn well they are not going to get rid of it no matter what. Free money is free money.

I hate it as much as anybody but how is it illegal under federal law? I am not tyring to cause problems, I really want to know. Because, no matter what state we are in, we pay property tax on our land/homes so why does extending this to vehicles violate a law that the home tax doesn't?

1993Renegade 10-14-2010 11:29 AM

Every new politician says they'll get rid of the tax and then they back down after in office.

Bustedknee 10-14-2010 05:37 PM

I retired 2 years ago then moved here. They are taxing me to death. Taxes on the vehicles, county stickers, inspection sticker, Wythe County is taxing me on a higher value of my house that what I paid for it!

The list goes on and on.

Apparently, VA does not like retirees.

I need my own scam. What am I to do? Make moonshine?

It looks like the only way to survive is to do something illegal....or become a politician.

2manyjeeps 10-15-2010 05:19 AM

I guess none of you have ever lived in the Northeast. My parents live in NJ and pay over $8k in property taxes on a basic 2000 sf home with no master bath or walk-in closets. Add to that the highest car insurance in the nation. They can't wait to come move here and get relief from real taxes--they laugh at the car tax since it is nothing compared to what the goverment makes them pay to have their trash collected.

gracemely 10-15-2010 06:58 AM

This doesn't answer the question directly but perhaps lends some fuel to the fire. I heard somewhere that VA still considered a car/truck a luxury item.

Motorcharge 10-15-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracemely (Post 25350)
This doesn't answer the question directly but perhaps lends some fuel to the fire. I heard somewhere that VA still considered a car/truck a luxury item.

I think it depends how they class your vehicle on the title.

My 88 XJ was listed as an SUV and the 89 was listed as a wagon, and I think there was like a $5-10 difference in the tax even though they were assessed at the same price.

Chrisb009 11-07-2010 05:44 AM

I own a 2008 F450 that was bought, titled, registered and insured in another state due to Virginia's personal property tax. In Virginia, personal property on a truck that cost over $65,000 (without any relief due to weight) would be a hefty bill each and every year. I plan on keeping it registered and insured in another state for the life of the vehicle. BTW....I lived in this "other" state for a year and a half thus it was easy to perform the above. For the other vehicles....I am checking out other states to register them in....as I have relatives in the mid west who would allow me to utilize their address. The only issue with this.....if you get pulled for any reason.....with out of state tags.....there will be questions raised as to the why's. My reasoning is that I have two residences....one is now a PO Box in another state.

VaporLung 11-08-2010 05:11 AM

I was even stuck paying PPTs for a vehicle that was in pieces (collecting dust) errr I mean being restored. I had a 76 VW Beetle (and a 65 Mustang) and they both had PPTs applied to them. Small taxes, but taxes nonetheless.

While it made me (almost) cry to rid myself of those vehicles, it is nice to not get THOSE bills once a year.

2manyjeeps 11-08-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisb009 (Post 35286)
I own a 2008 F450 that was bought, titled, registered and insured in another state due to Virginia's personal property tax. In Virginia, personal property on a truck that cost over $65,000 (without any relief due to weight) would be a hefty bill each and every year. I plan on keeping it registered and insured in another state for the life of the vehicle. BTW....I lived in this "other" state for a year and a half thus it was easy to perform the above. For the other vehicles....I am checking out other states to register them in....as I have relatives in the mid west who would allow me to utilize their address. The only issue with this.....if you get pulled for any reason.....with out of state tags.....there will be questions raised as to the why's. My reasoning is that I have two residences....one is now a PO Box in another state.

So simply put, Fraud!! And it is now documented on a public forum--Smart.

You people need to quit Whining. If they get rid of this tax, they will take it from somewhere else. Or the other option is to cut things like road maintenance, teacher funding, police force, etc. And the same complainers on this website will be the first to complain when they want to cut a program--this country wants it both ways.

Virginia is #34 overall for tax burden and below the national average:
CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate

Chrisb009 11-09-2010 07:27 AM

I noticed someone decided to reply with the below message. Well.....it isn't fraud because it is registered, insured and titled in another state. I tend to move from time to time thus does it really matter where ones vehicle is registered in this case? And BTW.....I'm in the Military with a DOD decal in on the windshield. So before you make the assumption that you know everything about a situation......you may not have all the facts at hand. I, for one, do not agree with the Virginia car tax. Once I pay for a vehicle there should be no additional taxes involved. However....states will make the shortfall up somewhere....just as the poster mentioned but I'd rather pay an increase in sales tax rather than a car tax that has seems to have a sliding rule. For example....my F450 is taxed at a commercial rate when in fact it is used for noncommercial purposes. So where is the fair application of taxing vehicles within Virginia? I don't see it. And BTW...I pay taxes on two motorcycles, an RV, a Trailer and two vehicles (a car and a second truck) thus I am not dodging the bullet by much and I feel I pay my fair share.

Take Care...

Posted by: 2manyjeeps
On: 11-08-2010 04:56 PM

---Quote (Originally by Chrisb009)---
---End Quote---
So simply put, Fraud!! And it is now documented on a public forum--Smart.

You people need to quit Whining. If they get rid of this tax, they will take it from somewhere else. Or the other option is to cut things like road maintenance, teacher funding, police force, etc. And the same complainers on this website will be the first to complain when they want to cut a program--this country wants it both ways.

Virginia is #34 overall for tax burden and below the national average:
CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate (CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate)

All the best,
CityProfile.com - City and State Forums

2manyjeeps 11-09-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisb009 (Post 35823)
I noticed someone decided to reply with the below message. Well.....it isn't fraud because it is registered, insured and titled in another state. I tend to move from time to time thus does it really matter where ones vehicle is registered in this case? And BTW.....I'm in the Military with a DOD decal in on the windshield. So before you make the assumption that you know everything about a situation......you may not have all the facts at hand. I, for one, do not agree with the Virginia car tax. Once I pay for a vehicle there should be no additional taxes involved. However....states will make the shortfall up somewhere....just as the poster mentioned but I'd rather pay an increase in sales tax rather than a car tax that has seems to have a sliding rule. For example....my F450 is taxed at a commercial rate when in fact it is used for noncommercial purposes. So where is the fair application of taxing vehicles within Virginia? I don't see it. And BTW...I pay taxes on two motorcycles, an RV, a Trailer and two vehicles (a car and a second truck) thus I am not dodging the bullet by much and I feel I pay my fair share.

Let me be clear, I don't agree with the tax either and earlier I asked about its legality and have gotten no response--I'd love to see it go away. But, as of yet, it hasn't.

Does the Military exempt you from the tax? If so, there is no need for the other state. If your service does not exempt you and you own the car, you live here, you work here, you store/drive the car here and the only tie to the other state is a relative's address, you are supposed to register it here. Justify it however you want but it will still be just that, a justification.

I also understand the feeling that you are paying more than your fair share and I don't think all parts of the tax code are fair (like the commercial aspect of your truck). However, if take $1,000 in income under the table, even if I make $200k, it is still illegal, even if it is a small % of my total tax burden that I am 'stealing'.

If you want to change it, work with your representatives, don't just skip out of paying it because you disagree.

yarghble 11-19-2010 11:44 AM

Virginia might be 34th overall, but NoVa pays much higher taxes than the rest of the state. And almost all of that money goes to projects in the lower-taxed areas.

Also, the military doesn't directly make you exempt from the taxes. It just lets you get taxed as though you were in another location. Like your home of record or whatever. When I was stationed in an area of the deep south that had a state, city, and county tax that all overlapped, so I was paying va property tax on my car, and keeping it registered here instead. But that was worth it due to some of the ridiculous local laws governing registrations and stuff in that area.
Man, that's a lot of commas...

jfulton 11-19-2010 01:45 PM

Just had to pay county personal property tax, and city personal property tax for 2011. Wasn't very happy that I am taxed twice for someone I already paid tax on when I bought it.

dc_bob 11-23-2010 11:33 AM

I have lived here for 12 years and every year their is at least one politician who says that they are going to eliminate it, but every year I get my notice of how much I owe.

incondite 11-23-2010 11:02 PM

$ Tax on the car.
$ for registration fee
$ for personal property tax
In some localities, another $25 for a damn sticker

All this to have the benefit of driving on toll roads :)