CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Las Vegas (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/las-vegas/)
-   -   Las Vegas 4 wheeling (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/las-vegas/las-vegas-4-wheeling-3208/)

Bamataco 10-04-2010 05:08 PM

Las Vegas 4 wheeling

I lived in vegas for 5 years. And most people only seem to think of gambling and going to shows in Vegas. But if you are into 4 wheeling the Vegas area in tremendous for 4 wheeling. There are some clubs you can contact on the internet and hook up with so you aren't wheeling alone.

RedBeard 10-04-2010 08:03 PM

I used to live in vegas and the wheeling there is awesome. Beautiful desert wheeling for sure. Logandale is a major off road location right in Vegas' backyard.

pkrplr4116 10-04-2010 09:38 PM

Ohh, very cool! I have never done that! Sounds like lots of fun! Ty for the info!

GSGZZLR 10-05-2010 08:15 AM

I just bought a used Wrangler a few months ago. I won't be modifying it for about a year or so. Do you have an light trails you can recommend?

RedBeard 10-05-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSGZZLR (Post 18451)
I just bought a used Wrangler a few months ago. I won't be modifying it for about a year or so. Do you have an light trails you can recommend?

Potato Ridge, also known as Rocky Gap Road I think. It heads out of the back side of Red Rock and takes you almost into Pahrump. Really fun trail. Google that and have fun. :D

Got_3971 10-06-2010 12:03 AM

Lovell Canyon

About 12 years ago I was with a group and we did the Potato Ridge from the back side. We started up Lovell Canyon Road from Blue Diamond Hwy. about 5 miles West of the summit at Mountain Springs. We then took Rocky Gap East into Red Rock. We entered into Red Rock at the picnic grounds about halfway into the loop road. Somehow we missed the toll booth completely. :) It was a pretty easy run with some stock Jeeps making it. The only problem I had was trying to climb one steep grade without the front hubs locked. Once the hubs were locked it was easy going.

dcdesigns 10-06-2010 05:37 PM

Anyone you know 4-wheeling out of Mesquite?

GSGZZLR 10-07-2010 07:04 AM

I think I will try Potato Ridge early Saturday. Thanks!:D

HMBTurboT 10-07-2010 07:56 AM

I drove out there from NJ in July. Sawa lot of people 4-wheeling, wish I had more time to do that when I was there!

marcusofmagna 10-08-2010 12:09 AM

Apex

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSGZZLR (Post 18451)

There is and area known as Apex just north of the race track which has a uniquely diverse number of terrain for wheelin fun there are dunes and dirt trails with some good hills etc.. only 5 minutes north of town if that.:)

marcusofmagna 10-08-2010 12:10 AM

I lived there for years and liked to go out there and romp around in my 97 wrangler.:cool:

Bamataco 10-08-2010 07:12 AM

If you happen to go any where near area 51 obey the signs. Stop and turn back. The security there can be real jerks.

marcusofmagna 10-09-2010 01:14 AM

I believe area 51 is quite a way from Apex!!!!

spooner 10-09-2010 11:13 AM

if your looking to do some mild trail wheeling then i would suggest this Nevada Backroaders they are a great group and you'll see a lot of So. Nevada. really helpful too. they also do some harder stuff too but most of their club runs are geared towards stock 4x4's of all kinds..

if you are into harder stuff here's another club in Las Vegas
Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers

VEGASSMAN 10-14-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spooner (Post 22395)
if your looking to do some mild trail wheeling then i would suggest this Nevada Backroaders they are a great group and you'll see a lot of So. Nevada. really helpful too. they also do some harder stuff too but most of their club runs are geared towards stock 4x4's of all kinds..

Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers

+1 on the Nevada Backroaders group. Nice folks! Very easy scenic trail rides. Educational too...those guys are a wealth of knowledge!

Join our Meetup.com group: Las Vegas Off Road (Henderson, NV) - Meetup

Lots of trips posted on there, ranging from casual runs to serious rock crawling. Almost all trips have bypasses to the hard obstacles, or will be noted otherwise.

If anyone has a JK (2007+ Wrangler), join JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board for posted runs in the Silver State section. JKOwners.com - The community for Jeep JK Owners is also a good site.

See you on the trail! :cool:

VEGASSMAN 10-14-2010 03:06 PM

Some other notable trails to try:

Angel Peak: Mt. Charleston. Can access from Kyle Canyon Rd (157) or from the 15 betwen the 157 and 156. Comes out on top where the Doppler weather station is. Careful you don't get stuck in the Juvie camp...security will give you a hard time.

Electric Avenue (Aztec Wash): Access from S. 95 - Grandpa's Rd. Follow the power lines over the ridge. Comes out in the wash. Can run the wash road back up to Nelson and air up there.

Burrow Wash: Access from the Southern most point in Boulder City (Buchanon Blvd.) Follow road from the power substation towards the river. Comes out near Monkey Hole.

Macks Canyon: Access forest road 073 from Lee Canyon Rd. (156) on Mt. Charleston. a nice in/out trip down into the canyon. Can continue hiking/biking from the bottom. Easy, scenic, short trail.

tjscoot00 10-14-2010 06:55 PM

Currently stationed at nellis afb, drive a 2000 jeep tj, only one rockin ironrockoffroad.com stickers on my rear windows. If anyone needs a wheelin partner hit me up round here or at jeepforum.com with the same name.

west5323 10-16-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN (Post 24799)
+1 on the Nevada Backroaders group. Nice folks! Very easy scenic trail rides. Educational too...those guys are a wealth of knowledge!

Join our Meetup.com group: Las Vegas Off Road (Henderson, NV) - Meetup

Lots of trips posted on there, ranging from casual runs to serious rock crawling. Almost all trips have bypasses to the hard obstacles, or will be noted otherwise.

If anyone has a JK (2007+ Wrangler), join JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board for posted runs in the Silver State section. JKOwners.com - The community for Jeep JK Owners is also a good site.

See you on the trail! :cool:

Thanks for the info...looking forward to wheelin' out here. Just bought a 2010 and i need to get it dirty :D

VEGASSMAN 10-27-2010 02:33 PM

Anyone going to Hump N Bump in 2 weeks? I just registered!
Should be good fun!

Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers: Hump n Bump

Heffa 10-28-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN (Post 24822)
Burrow Wash: Access from the Southern most point in Boulder City (Buchanon Blvd.) Follow road from the power substation towards the river. Comes out near Monkey Hole.

How many miles is this? I know where the starting point is but not the ending.

spooner 10-28-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN (Post 31705)
Anyone going to Hump N Bump in 2 weeks? I just registered!
Should be good fun!

Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers: Hump n Bump

i have to work or i would do it...

VEGASSMAN 10-29-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heffa (Post 31922)

If I recall, I think it was about 14 miles in to the wash...

VEGASSMAN 01-11-2011 10:06 PM

Been wanting to hit Bitter Springs trail...never been on it. Anyone game?

wjowens 01-14-2011 09:33 PM

Get with the Nevada Backroaders crew. Great bunch of folks

wjowens 01-14-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spooner (Post 22395)

Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers

x2 on these guys, didnt see this post earlier. :HIGHFIVE:

NevSmith 01-24-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heffa (Post 31922)

It is properly called, "Burro Wash". It is one of the few recognized and legal 4X4 trails in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. It is about 10 to 12 miles down to Lake Mohave from leaving the pavement in front of the WAPA Substation at the south end of Buchanan Blvd. Going in is no big deal. Coming back out can be a bugger at the first steep pitch when leaving Monkey Hole on Lake Mohave. 4X4 will be required to make that 200/300 yds. After that 2X4 is fine. Elevation drop from BC to the lake is about 1900 ft.

You can stop in at the National Park Sevice's Headquarters Office in Boulder City and request a set of their "offroad trail" maps. They have a series of 4 pages that show all the approved offroad trails in and around Lakes Mead and Mohave. You have to ask for them as they are not out on display.

...........NevSmith

talton 02-05-2011 09:14 AM

I plan on moving back to Vegas after being gone for the last 9 years. Thanks for all the info on the great spots to wheel.

yopauly 02-11-2011 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=NevSmith;

You can stop in at the National Park Sevice's Headquarters Office in Boulder City and request a set of their "offroad trail" maps. They have a series of 4 pages that show all the approved offroad trails in and around Lakes Mead and Mohave. You have to ask for them as they are not out on display.

...........NevSmith[/QUOTE]

I've been in Nevada since 78' and never knew this! Thanks from another Smith