CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   General City Discussion (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/general-city-discussion/)
-   -   D.C. isn't in a state (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/general-city-discussion/d-c-isnt-state-3297/)

FIR3CHI3F 10-05-2010 08:56 PM

D.C. isn't in a state
 
Has anyone else noticed this? And that they don't get to vote on legislation?

jake_0311 10-06-2010 01:15 PM

Yeah, it's a federal district and was never supposed to be a population center. People inside D.C. weren't even able to vote in presidential elections until 1960 (23rd amendment?) if I recall correctly.

FIR3CHI3F 10-08-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake_0311 (Post 19494)
Yeah, it's a federal district and was never supposed to be a population center. People inside D.C. weren't even able to vote in presidential elections until 1960 (23rd amendment?) if I recall correctly.

Weird. [ten char]

jeepcache 10-09-2010 02:57 AM

i think as far as voting goes, it should just fall under MD...

mrmurdoc34 10-09-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcache (Post 22258)
i think as far as voting goes, it should just fall under MD...

I agree. Don't give them to us we don't like the way they vote down here in VA.

TJinWV 10-18-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcache (Post 22258)
i think as far as voting goes, it should just fail under MD...

fixxored your statement.

Whybu1 10-19-2010 06:28 AM

DC is purposly not a state so that no state hosts the nation's Capital. Some really weird rules to living there. As posted before they only got the right to vote in the 60s and I think it was later than that before they got representation in Congress.

mrmurdoc34 10-21-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whybu1 (Post 28077)
DC is purposly not a state so that no state hosts the nation's Capital. Some really weird rules to living there. As posted before they only got the right to vote in the 60s and I think it was later than that before they got representation in Congress.

Last time I looked DC didn't have senators it can't because it is not a STATE.

They have NON-VOTING members in the house that is it. Just like Puerto Rico and Guam.

danffl 10-23-2010 05:55 AM

And just like any other place that is not a member of the United States, they have too much influence on how the US is run.

I say we sever all land ties to DC and let them "float" in the Atlantic.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.